• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Open Chat

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Using my superior throbbing brain as a STEM graduate, I can't really agree that people who study humanities are useless intangibles.

We do need historians, novelists, poets and musicians. Imagine if only accountants and mathematicians were available to act in cinema. ;]

I understand people like to believe everybody who disagrees with them is stupid, but who really benefits from these cartoon stereotypes, feeling all of this hatred and disdain towards what are -often- imaginary people?

The job market shows it, I hate to be the baron of bad news but the employment aspects are not as great unless you're in the STEM fields.

True, but studies show a lot of people can get these degrees without humanities and all these social sciences. I'm not saying people shouldn't pursue what they like, but know a lot of classes are actually rather detrimental these days to your actual learning. The problem is college is now following agendas rather than trying to set up people for the future.

The picture is depicting a college professor giving you "approved" material, that fits their own worldview and lacks critical thinking of the actual world. I've had professors like this before, yes they do exist and it's sad how some people have failed students who don't agree with their limited outlook on life. One reason I am very glad to be out of my core classes...

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
The job market shows it, I hate to be the baron of bad news but the employment aspects are not as great unless you're in the STEM fields.

True, but studies show a lot of people can get these degrees without humanities and all these social sciences. I'm not saying people shouldn't pursue what they like, but know a lot of classes are actually rather detrimental these days to your actual learning. The problem is college is now following agendas rather than trying to set up people for the future.

The picture is depicting a college professor giving you "approved" material, that fits their own worldview and lacks critical thinking of the actual world. I've had professors like this before, yes they do exist and it's sad how some people have failed students who don't agree with their limited outlook on life. One reason I am very glad to be out of my core classes...

'Bearer of bad news'.
The 'Baron of bad news' would be an interesting title for a supervillain though! ;D

This idea that humanities are pointless is, well, I guess maybe it makes people who did engineering degrees but haven't found success in life feel better about themselves, because they have somebody they can say they are superior too. But I don't think it's entirely true.

And the idea that social sciences are all fuddy-duddy make believe is something nobody who actually has a worthwhile STEM degree should believe. If you look at the mathematical field of statistics, for example, significant developments were introduced by sociologists, for example (go and check if you like).

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
'Bearer of bad news'.
The 'Baron of bad news' would be an interesting title for a supervillain though! ;D

This idea that humanities are pointless is, well, I guess maybe it makes people who did engineering degrees but haven't found success in life feel better about themselves, because they have somebody they can say they are superior too. But I don't think it's entirely true.

And the idea that social sciences are all fuddy-duddy make believe is something nobody who actually has a worthwhile STEM degree should believe. If you look at the mathematical field of statistics, for example, significant developments were introduced by sociologists, for example (go and check if you like).

Sounds like a villain from Fairly Oddparents with that chin superhero.

It's not about that, I am taking no emotion into my statement when I talk about the humanities. I am stating from what I have experienced. I look at the outcomes of a class, will it help me pursue my career or not? I have been taught that you go to college to further your own success.

Statistics and data can be manipulated, one reason I never wanted to go into a statistic class. I've done algebra, but I didn't want to go into that field, because I want to quite frankly get a degree that will get me money. As cold and logical as it sounds, I value getting back out of what I put into college. Sure, people can have success, and I'm not saying we should get rid of some courses, but I don't take statistics as anything rock solid. Never have. Simply because data can always be manipulated by human interests. I like to work hands on, I like to repair things.

Fallowfox

Sounds like a villain from Fairly Oddparents with that chin superhero.

It's not about that, I am taking no emotion into my statement when I talk about the humanities. I am stating from what I have experienced. I look at the outcomes of a class, will it help me pursue my career or not? I have been taught that you go to college to further your own success.

Statistics and data can be manipulated, one reason I never wanted to go into a statistic class. I've done algebra, but I didn't want to go into that field, because I want to quite frankly get a degree that will get me money. As cold and logical as it sounds, I value getting back out of what I put into college. Sure, people can have success, and I'm not saying we should get rid of some courses, but I don't take statistics as anything rock solid. Never have. Simply because data can always be manipulated by human interests. I like to work hands on, I like to repair things.

If you don't view statistics as a useful field, then I suppose you have to wave goodbye to the physics of thermodynamics, or atomic theory.
Say goodbye to the quantum mechanical understanding of physics that underlies much of modern computing.
... and if you don't believe in data at all, because humans will manipulate it, then your own claim that data shows studying humanities will lead to an unsuccessful career can be dismissed. ;3

Nexus Cabler

Conduit of Synergy
The real critical theory was the friends we made along the way :v

Last edited:

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned

Oh, it's...not a pamphlet of cult indoctrination. Now i'm confused...

Moving swiftly on.

There's more to life than the job market, and certain fields can provide worthwhile study even if that study doesn't prove profitable in the long run. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh it is a cult, but if I give my full view on that people will get upset because it will get very political.

At most you can get by pursuing a trade school or a trade skill, college is all about money. If you need a big fancy building with a bunch of overpaid people who didn't even take a class of teaching to tell you about life, then there's some issues. I wouldn't be going to college if it were not about the money. I don't need college to tell me how to find real value in my life.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
If you don't believe in statistics, then I suppose you have to wave goodbye to the physics of thermodynamics, or atomic theory.

Say goodbye to the quantum mechanical understanding of physics that underlies much of modern computing.

... and if you don't believe in data at all, then your own claim that data shows studying humanities will lead to an unsuccessful career can be dismissed. ;3

Now when did I say that? I never said in scientific statistics, I'm more about social statistics. Science is science, but to say "I am X because of some survey done across the world in a place where you're mostly going to have people to respond to Y" is the issue.

Fallowfox

Now when did I say that? I never said in scientific statistics, I'm more about social statistics. Science is science, but to say "I am X because of some survey done across the world in a place where you're mostly going to have people to respond to Y" is the issue.

Maybe you're wrong that statistics in social sciences like psychiatry or anthropology is all about conducting surveys?

DieselPowered

Oh it is a cult, but if I give my full view on that people will get upset because it will get very political.

At most you can get by pursuing a trade school or a trade skill, college is all about money. If you need a big fancy building with a bunch of overpaid people who didn't even take a class of teaching to tell you about life, then there's some issues. I wouldn't be going to college if it were not about the money. I don't need college to tell me how to find real value in my life.
Current critical theory surrounding the concept of race amounts to exploring the idea of structural racism. Some people don't like that and make a big thing out of it. No one's in a cult, but a lot of people have their fingers firmly wedged in their ears and want to believe the "other side" is doing the same.

Those institutions serve as repositories of knowledge, some knowledge can't be spun into a profit. Money, or at least making it, is a largely irrelevant factor given the point of the institutions. The goals of the students are a different story.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Maybe you're wrong that statistics in social sciences like psychiatry or anthropology is all about conducting surveys?

Never said it was just that, but I am tired of people going "well you're this because we took a study based on people like you. But oh look, we took it in a controlled region where most people will come out statistically in a way that coincides with our hypothesis."

I actually did take an elective psychiatry class, but my professor wasn't that bad and it was more on the fundamentals like with Freud and whatnot. Still not my cup of tea but I've passed it.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Current critical theory surrounding the concept of race amounts to exploring the idea of structural racism. Some people don't like that and make a big thing out of it. No one's in a cult, but a lot of people have their fingers firmly wedged in their ears and want to believe the "other side" is doing the same.

Those institutions serve as repositories of knowledge, some knowledge can't be spun into a profit. Money, or at least making it, is a largely irrelevant factor given the point of the institutions. The goals of the students are a different story.

Sorry, I will not condone being called "I am this because other people are that and so I must feel sad even when I am not like those other people."

Race and whatnot aside, we call this "painting everyone with the same brush" and that is a bad way to go about doing things. Really really really bad people have done the same thing by painting certain people with very bad brushes that um, killed them. So as far as painting the world and it's people with the same brush I'd rather not tyvm.

The internet, where you can learn things on your own and you don't need to pay a professor to teach you. Isn't modern technology grand?

Fallowfox

Very true!

Like propane, for example.

and propane accessories.

The internet, where you can learn things on your own and you don't need to pay a professor to teach you. Isn't modern technology grand?

I tried to explain that to the police, but they still won't let me perform surgery. :{

DieselPowered

Sorry, I will not condone being called "I am this because other people are that and so I must feel sad even when I am not like those other people."

Race and whatnot aside, we call this "painting everyone with the same brush" and that is a bad way to go about doing things. Really really really bad people have done the same thing by painting certain people with very bad brushes that um, killed them. So as far as painting the world and it's people with the same brush I'd rather not tyvm.

I'm curious, has anyone actually said that to you?
In regards to painting people with the same brush, i'd need far more information before i'd consider the underlying comparison remotely valid.

Yes, modern technology is grand. With a bit of grit and determination you can learn anything, but you still have to buy the diploma to prove it to employers.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
In regards to painting people with the same brush, i'd need far more information before i'd consider the underlying comparison remotely valid.

Yes, modern technology is grand. With a bit of grit and determination you can learn anything, but you still have to buy the diploma to prove it to employers.

Oh yes, I've been very discriminated against by people calling me all sorts of terrible things simply because of how I've voted and my views. Especially when I don't think like that, but guilt by association is a thing.

I'm talking about labeling people as enemies of the state, persona non grata, or untermensch because they're "problematic". (With me being the deplorable btw, talking about me being this. Not talking about others, talking about how people have treated myself.)

Ehhhhh, it depends. That's not as true as it used to be. A lot of places where I live will let you have a job without a degree but I live in rural Georgia where people want work ethic and experience.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned

Oh, and these were on places like Discord and Deviantart btw, I was one time "interrogated" by a mod in a server in the Sonic fandom because I told them about my recent vote, even when they asked me "are you this" or "are you that" and I honestly replied that I'm not and they have the wrong idea, they banned me soon after even after I politely debunked their claims. Oh and then people come onto my DA comment section and call me all sorts of things due to my views and then they block me with replies. Typical of the internet, but hey it does happen.

DieselPowered

Oh yes, I've been very discriminated against by people calling me all sorts of terrible things simply because of how I've voted and my views. Especially when I don't think like that, but guilt by association is a thing.

I'm talking about labeling people as enemies of the state, persona non grata, or untermensch because they're "problematic". (With me being the deplorable btw, talking about me being this. Not talking about others, talking about how people have treated myself.)

Ehhhhh, it depends. That's not as true as it used to be. A lot of places where I live will let you have a job without a degree but I live in rural Georgia where people want work ethic and experience.

Oh, and these were on places like Discord and Deviantart btw, I was one time "interrogated" by a mod in a server in the Sonic fandom because I told them about my recent vote, even when they asked me "are you this" or "are you that" and I honestly replied that I'm not and they have the wrong idea, they banned me soon after even after I politely debunked their claims. Oh and then people come onto my DA comment section and call me all sorts of things due to my views and then they block me with replies. Typical of the internet, but hey it does happen.
Yep, people can be shitty on the internet. The issue fundamentally is one of respect, and people not granting any because of silly tribal association. Discord mods are stereotyped as being self serving, egocentric, and ban happy for a reason. So your altercation with the mod i don't put much stock in.

I understand flippant people will want to dismiss you as x regardless of what you actually believe because of surface markers, it only served to push moderate people into the same spaces as extremists in the recent past. It's a shame, and it's all too easy to dismiss others as either indoctrinated cultists or (i'm assuming this is what you've been called) fascists without a care in the world. But it's shallow, and it only serves to stifle genuine cooperative understanding in favour of increasingly delusional fearmondering.

You are not x because of the way you voted, and if any of my fellow cultists legitimately treated you like an untermensch i'd be the first in line to call them out on such blatantly hypocritical behavour. That's not how it works, but i understand how well meaning people implemented Karl Popper's ideas very poorly. Can't go into more detail without mentioning 45 and i'm not derailing the thread so, have a good evening.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Yep, people can be shitty on the internet. The issue fundamentally is one of respect, and people not granting any because of silly tribal association. Discord mods are stereotyped as being self serving, egocentric, and ban happy for a reason. So your altercation with the mod i don't put much stock in.

I understand flippant people will want to dismiss you as x regardless of what you actually believe because of surface markers, it only served to push moderate people into the same spaces as extremists in the recent past. It's a shame, and it's all too easy to dismiss others as either indoctrinated cultists or (i'm assuming this is what you've been called) fascists without a care in the world. But it's shallow, and it only serves to stifle genuine cooperative understanding in favour of increasingly delusional fearmondering.

You are not x because of the way you voted, and if any of my fellow cultists legitimately treated you like an untermensch i'd be the first in line to call them out on such blatantly hypocritical behavour. That's not how it works, but i understand how well meaning people implemented Karl Popper's ideas very poorly. Can't go into more detail without mentioning 45 and i'm not derailing the thread so, have a good evening.

The part that gets me is I've clearly stated reasonably why I'm not what they thought I was, but they still banned me without even giving me a decent chance. Now, this was several years ago but like you said, the internet is filled with these type of people.

Exactly, I actually converse about issues with people from Europe who have been my friends for years, we but heads on our believes and ideals, but at least we have made up in the past. I am okay with people not agreeing with me, so long as they're civil about it. Oh, I've been called a terrorist, a killer supporter, a racist, ablest (even though I'm autistic), sexist (which is funny because no women I know in real life has every shown any animosity towards me, other than being just bad apples themselves that is)., racist, homophobic (even though I have several homosexual characters and I am good friends with a gay Italian friend who we roleplay with often), ect ect ect. Yeah, and the "best" part is these people immediately block or ban me from their discords without even getting to know me or hear my stance. This is why I have my own serve, but I have had a deviantart comment on my page recently told me I am a terrorist because I don't like our current president. Not getting into politics, but to call an average joe redneck autistic guy in the middle of the woods a terrorist because of their vote is utterly bonkers.

Yeah, I like to often debate in my server in the War Room, but slandering is bad. My way of thinking is if you have to resort to this, you're clearly not conclusive with your thought process in anything. We could be talking about our favorite type of dogs and if you tell me poodles are better than German Shepard's, call me an dog hater because I prefer another dog, and then block me on Facebook then that would be sort of the same feeling of "what"?

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Look I hear there was a trainwreck going on and by contractual obligation I'm required to make at least one post on the subject matter before it moves on.

College... good?

Okay, okay. You can all go back to doing whatever.