• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Open Chat

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
Since having feeders for my beardie, the dubia breeder I get my feeders from also sold Madagascar hissing roaches, so I've been more curious into expanding my pet base to invertebrates. It would be especially convenient since most my animals would consume the same type of food.

At some point in the future I would like hissers, a tarantula, jumping spider(s), mantids, and a rhinoceros beetle. All are really fascinating and fuck it since I've come this far...
ive been following the beetle farm to hopefully get a rhinoceros beetle one day...its on my list..but when they fly it is scary loud. I've had a couple mantids already and highly recommend them!! as for hissers and other roaches...DO IT- i have my dubia colony that helps feed my geckos and i consider them my pets too...i wanted to get the roach with a skull on its back (forgot its name) as well as banana roaches and hissers....but hissers are so expensive...the babies out here cost 1$ each and the adults can be anywhere from 3-5$
you know what...if you are really interested in inverts i highly suggest a scorpion....i have a couple right now and i absolutely love them...i would suggest a desert hairy...mainly because it looks cool ahaha of course i don't handle these but man are they cool. I currently have flat rock scorpions and a florida bark scorpion :D

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
ive been following the beetle farm to hopefully get a rhinoceros beetle one day...its on my list..but when they fly it is scary loud. I've had a couple mantids already and highly recommend them!! as for hissers and other roaches...DO IT- i have my dubia colony that helps feed my geckos and i consider them my pets too...i wanted to get the roach with a skull on its back (forgot its name) as well as banana roaches and hissers....but hissers are so expensive...the babies out here cost 1$ each and the adults can be anywhere from 3-5$
you know what...if you are really interested in inverts i highly suggest a scorpion....i have a couple right now and i absolutely love them...i would suggest a desert hairy...mainly because it looks cool ahaha of course i don't handle these but man are they cool. I currently have flat rock scorpions and a florida bark scorpion :D

Might have to follow the beetle farm (whatever that is) since I've been looking into places to get various types of animals. Besides online I may check out a local reptile expo next month out of curiosity, budget permitting.

I dont consider the dubias pets because I feel bad about feeding them, and I've had my share of torturing the poor crickets and dubias, not intentionally, just when my beardie was younger a few were too big for her and the crickets escape too easily...so...had to resort to cutting them in half and dismemberment. Pretty gory and awful (dont judge me). I have properly sized ones now, though. Since I intend to keep pet hissing roaches I dont anticipate a whole colony so the price isn't as bad as some other costs.

I actually am not all that interested in scorpions myself, lol. Something about animals with pinchers/pincers puts me off a little (crayfish, scorpions, stag beetles..
actually lobsters and crabs may be an exception). I'm not necessarily scared or grossed out but I'm not as fond of them either. Though, my friend loves them and will probably end up with one in the future, I might end up with it out of curiosity so who knows! Will keep your suggestion in mind :3

B

BasilClover

I made a mistake in my aquarium by getting shrimp/prawns which ended up bothering me immensely, im not ok with most inverts and especially ones that can grab. I would never own a crayfish because of the snip snip :3

WolfNightV4X1

...also I imagine the arachnophobes are silently steering clear of this thread, lol.

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
lets change the subject then...i don't want to make people upset :( but hey there is a reptile expo coming in san diego, ca soon so i wondered if you're close ahaha

WolfNightV4X1

wait....do you live in socal?
Directed to me? No, I live in Oklahoma so Im not near there. It is legal to get certain insects here, though. Like roaches.

...I dont believe we had to change it. I just was mildly amused by the fact some people might be 'nope'ing out of the thread. It is nice that you all share a fascination with creepy crawlies, if I tried to talk about this at work or something people would flip out, haha!

Old Fashioned

Sometimes Active Member
i have to fight off idiots who think rattlesnakes will attack them and their children unprovked and will kill them

I know what you mean, I've always been taught to KOS rattlesnakes. I think out here, there is the added fear that the snake will kill livestock. Which sadly causes people to not want to take the chance they may loose $1,000+ to a snake. Even if it is an extremely rare occurrence.

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
I know what you mean, I've always been taught to KOS rattlesnakes. I think out here, there is the added fear that the snake will kill livestock. Which sadly causes people to not want to take the chance they may loose $1,000+ to a snake. Even if it is an extremely rare occurrence.
i understand that protecting one's livestock is important..as well as protecting children...but there are so many alternatives...its really easy to learn how to capture and release elsewhere...heck in some instances you can capture and sell...since people use them for antivenin. but killing for fun..in festivals...out of fear...for them being outside...its not right...they have a purpose and i know there's a town in tenessee that killed off a large percentage, resulting in a large increase in the rat population...and the manifestation of the plague...its all about education and the more you know the less you fear...
seriously i have a couple people i talk to in the south and they tell me they have kids that go outside and what happens if they see a rattlesnake and go after it...my response is...if your child is too young to be outside w/o adult supervision...then you should probably be watching them...if they are old enough to be outside on their own then they are capable of learning how to respect wildlife and leave it alone...idk...its hard...

Liam The Red

"Dad" Fox
Cool! nice pic too.

B

BasilClover

I think the drawing made by who gave it to me is cuter but I love this style.

D

Deleted member 82554

meanwhile in Australia
meanwhile-in-australia-2-12.jpg

Australia ain't got nothing on Africa, even the locals want to kill you.

GigaBit

A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.
Made myself a new profile picture today, even though i'm not really an artist. It's my first time making any art furry related. What do you all think?

OH MAN what species of tarantulas did you get? I have G. Porteri and L. Parahybana (im trying to get more knowledgeable with my species so i have been trying to learn their scientific names...I have a rose hair and a salmon pink bird eater) <3 i love them and i hope to one day get some colbalt blues, mexican red knees, and indian ornamentals.
17200976_1660802680602042_8899330583737488206_n.jpg

16832001_1645199398829037_8763054266219071818_n.jpg
I have 2 B. Albopilosum and 1 GBB!

MsRavage

peek-a-boo!!! I see you!
ok seriously...i need to stop getting into random stupid pointless debates with people....i spent literally a good 2 hours arguing with someone that ended with them posting their "evidence" in the form of random non fact based articles they got on the internet....ugh

WolfNightV4X1

After months of not having internet at home on my computers I finally do and it is awesome.

First world success!

Royn

Otterest Sergal evah!
Way ago when was an early teen watching star trek all stoned with two besties, noted cpt. Kirk on his communicator. Told besties "watch not so far away well have one thats a computer, tv, radio, phone,camera, the whole enchelada." They both laughed and said was super high. Actually was. Just got off facetime with one of them to recieve a call from younger brother, and now here am posting this online, after which going to watch a couple of videos, listen to some music, play a game, and take some pics of crafts to sell. May even do a short vid on how to use Fiddle Sticks so people wont be all WTF?. All with this smartphone they laughed at the foretelling of.

GigaBit

A hyperactive computer lovin' nerd.
Today is this threads 1st birthday!