• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Opinions on anthro hair

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
I give a lot of my Sonic OC's human like hair, it often depends on the species, but for the most part I love that natural human like look.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
Varies from group to group

Mammals - with the exception of Armadillos and hairless mammals, yes

Reptiles - Maybe some feathers, or a spike crest as a substitute

Birds - just style their feathers

Fish - no

Arthropods - some species do actually grow hair but generally it looks weird as shit so no

Mollusks - big no. Maybe do something like the Asari from Mass effect instead.

Cnidarians - Tentacles could work instead.

Other invertebrates - No

CaitlinSnowLeopard

Varies from group to group

Mammals - with the exception of Armadillos and hairless mammals, yes

Reptiles - Maybe some feathers, or a spike crest as a substitute

Birds - just style their feathers

Fish - no

Arthropods - some species do actually grow hair but generally it looks weird as shit so no

Mollusks - big no. Maybe do something like the Asari from Mass effect instead.

Cnidarians - Tentacles could work instead.

Other invertebrates - No
For me the one insect I can justify hair on is moths, since many species of moth are already fluffy and while it's a bit of a stretch it still looks cute.
That said I don't think I'd put a full head of gorgeous flowing, Legolas-esque locks on a moth character. More like just some fluffy bangs or short spikey hair.

The_biscuits_532

Eternally Confused Feline
For me the one insect I can justify hair on is moths, since many species of moth are already fluffy and while it's a bit of a stretch it still looks cute.
That said I don't think I'd put a full head of gorgeous flowing, Legolas-esque locks on a moth character. More like just some fluffy bangs or short spikey hair.
To my knowledge there's also a handful of Spiders, Crabs and Squat Lobsters that can grow hair

Like the Mitten Crab. Which has fluffy claws.

Ratt Carry

My characters get hair on a whim. I decide it based on personality, their overall silhouette, and how many parts they have to their head.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
Wow, I forgot I ever made this

O

O.D.D.

These are things that ultimately are only extant and meaningful in the mind's eye of an individual. Do what thou wilt, anyone who scolds you for it is wasting their own time on trivial matters and it is generally a poor use of yours to entertain petty intellectual tyranny.

Neiot

Suppose I am neutral. I'd consider it just extra tufts of hair that can be styled, provided the anthro or otherwise intelligent feral species is sapient enough to consider styling it.

berafbest

I think people like more animals and characters similar to them. This, by the way, explains why we like cats and dogs and less like, for example, spiders and cockroaches. Cats and dogs are more similar to people. They have four paws, skin, a pair of eyes, and so on. But spiders have many legs, depending on the species, and three or more pairs of eyes. Their appearance is very different from humans and often causes people's rejection.
In addition, it is customary in human society to wear different hairstyles and take care of their hair with Olaplex duo 1 2. It is almost impossible to meet a person without any body hair.

Last edited:

BadRoy

Snake awakens
I like the idea of long, human-like hair being a kind of 'fashion' or status symbol in a setting. EG: Most anthros would have no 'hair' but celebrities or Instagram posers would have implants or wigs, etc.

Personally I love both looks. If you have an anthro lioness for example I can dig the natural 'hairless' look, but if you give her humanlike hair that's fine too.

Judge Spear

I almost always give my anthro designs hair if the shapes of the hair don't clash with other head shapes.

If l make a lop-eared rabbit, I'm probably going to give her either short hair or none and use the ears as a stand in. But upright ears will get long hair if I'm in the mood for it.
If I made a hooded snake, I wouldn't give them hair because I can't think of a way to make that work without the shapes clashing in messy tangents. But a normal slender snake head, I'd give her hair if I wanted to.

I dont really play that antiquated crap of "dis fury dont git hair becuz IT DONT REELISM" as I make a crocodile stand on two legs and speak. I just base the choice on the vibe of the character and the flow of the shapes.

Inafox

Human-animal hybrids should have human-animal hybrid hair if you think about it. It's a simple matter of proportion and attention to shape.
Human hair has ratios to the human face, professional stylists often use CAD and all kinds of software to work this out. Original fashion is downright expensive, so you can't expect your typical furry artist to just randomly come up with a hairstyle that works as good as a million-dollar stylist human hairstyle.
So putting human hair on anything not entirely human is going to be hit and miss. Hair-styles that are self-contained like bangs, loose curls or afros will work with any facial proportion, though. But the body's primitive shapes had better reflect the hair's own primitive shapes. It's just shape design 101, really.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I prefer anthros without humanoid hair. Usually I like them bald, but something like obstagoon's hair (from pokémon) is an exception because it looks more natural to me. It's sort've like a mane.
My newest character has a similar hairstyle:

View attachment 133282
It looks like a cute design

I love when an animal's feature can be used in combination with existing human styles, it's such a great motor for creativity. I had a metalhead friend who I suggested to have an abyssal fish because the bait lantern on their heads could make a cool headbang feature and great spectacle, he loved it

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
I don't mind characters having human-like hair, it's up to their creators. Akki does sort of have "hair" but it's in the form of a mohawk-style cresh that runs between his ears and down his back. It's changed a bit over time, but originally it was longer, mostly white with black tips.

Fatal

My boyfriend TheFakeMechnik is the cutest bean
I personally like it. To me, it adds character. Let's see my fursona, Loki for example. He has a hairstyle that portrays his character. He is very calm yet can get crazy energy, hence his hairstyle. Usually hairstyle can show the characters personality, just like people.

Attachments

• Untitled535_20220625221901.png
    Untitled535_20220625221901.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 6

Judge Spear

My avatar speaks for my opinions on it. :p That and I've posted here already.
The only thing I would add is that I really don't like facial hair on anthros. Super not my thing.
Bro same. But I tend to just not care for facial hair in general.
People are just kinda weird with it for anthros because it wont share the same consistency as anything else on their body most of the time.

Like this works quite nicely.
Andrew-trabbold-pip-alchemist.jpg