• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Opinions on "hybrids" and "mixes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
x-posted from my journal

This one is about weird cross-species mixes for characters. I'm not talking like lion/tiger or something, but when a character is meant to be something like a wolf/cougar or something. Two species that could not possibly manage to reproduce with one another.

Personally, things like this hurt my brain if I think about them too much, because I cannot find a way to justify it. Anywhere.

What are your thoughts? If you have an impossible character, how do you justify it, if even at all?

ETA: I'm not talking about a fursona standpoint. Just in general. I know people like the traits, but that doesn't really answer the question.

Last edited:

Kitsune Dzelda

Hmmmm.......
I tend to think of impossible fursonas as a persons imperfect way of honing their souls essence into a perfectly understandable viewpoint.

Then again, do people really need to understand you?

I am a kitsune, that is straightforward enough to those who learn about them. I am perfectly happy as one, and would have no other species as my representitive species.

What about a world in which the species evolved naturally? I dislike gene splicing, because it introduces a level of science-fiction that I don't really want in my storyline.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
I personally am a bled between a "drunken writer" and a "starving poet" with a bit of "general asshole"

Nevarous

Ironjaw
Okay, you want something that would be similar to what you see in nature?

Well, all anthros share some human-ish traits in common which would lead one to believe they all have a common ancestor thousands of years ago.

Now, the tie is still strong which lets some random genes passed between parents and children, in cross species this can be slight to the point you can't tell or so in your face you stare in shock.

After a few generations a few traits are kept and others thrown out, it isn't all that hard to guess where this road ends...in something with eight arms no doubt!

K

Kaamos

What about a world in which the species evolved naturally? I dislike gene splicing, because it introduces a level of science-fiction that I don't really want in my storyline.

I don't think anyone would really think it's strange if the animal hybrids evolved naturally. You could just make up a completely different name and explain that it "looks like a cross between an x and a y" but not explicitly state it's a hybrid.

Or something like that.

I don't think there's anything to justify. If you've already gotten past human/fox hybrids how is a human/fox/platypus hybrid a problem for you? Your over thinking it in all the wrong places.

Also if you're going to deal with anthros you're pretty much stuck with science fiction if you want to explain them, if that's a problem for you just don't bother :V .

L

LizardKing

This is so much better than that other hybrid thread from last week

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
I'm not even much a fan of stuff like Half-Elves because of how I doubt their (Elves) reproductive capability with humans. I can take improbable hybrids... just so long as they're parodies, or for shits n' giggles.

Reiko

Old Stanky.
I don't mind hybrids so much. Yeah, they can get to the point where they're laughable, but that's what's fun about 'em.

Like, I made a skunk/deer hybrid for shits and giggles and because I thought a skunk with antlers and hooves would be totally badass looking.

But it's not like I made a koala bear/monkey/large mouth bass/tucan/dragon/wolf/feline/mermaid/tootsiepop/grizzly bear/orangutan/soul reaper/ninja/pirate/Chuck Norris herm with macro organs and the sharingan, as well as having them be a vizard and eaten the devil fruit. :3

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
I don't mind hybrids, but then again, I don't mind hybrids that can properly breed together like a wolf and a coyote. It become ridiculous if someone tries to mix prey and predator, such as a Deer/Wolf or a Bear/Salmon.

Last edited:

NomeKo

Zeke has a good point, but... does all hybirds are naturally creates? i mean, by both animal on their wild life go with each other and get those hybirds, or they're created by some kind of inlaid semen or something o_O

Zhael

I Just Say F.U.N.
Well, personally, my other fursona, Salflop is a mouse/rabbit hybrid.
Not even close to possible, but as long as there's a genuine reason, it's alright, I think.

Doubler

People can imagine whatever they wish. I don't see why people would be bothered by them, or why such hybrids should be justified.

Bankai

The Bankai
I don't mind hybrids, but then again, I don't mind hybrids that can properly breed together like a wolf and a coyote. It become ridiculous if someone tries to mix prey and predator, such as a Deer/Wolf or a Bear/Salmon.

A bear salmon...where is your god now?

chipuplover

People have been creating hybrids for thousands of years. Pegasis is a horse and a bird. The gryphon is lion crossed with an eagle. The hippogriff is a gryphon crossed with a horse. The cockatrice is half dragon and half bird. The enfield has the head of a fox, the chest of a greyhound, the body of a lion, the hindquarters and tail of a wolf, and forelegs like an eagle's talons. The manticore and sphynx have the body of a lion with the head of a man. There are also centaurs, mermaids and fauns, all animals mixed with humans. there is the jackalope, the minotaur and the harpy to think of as well. So many hybrids are found all over the world

It doesn't seem unusual to me at all that modern people would create their own hybrids, since it seems to be in our nature to do so.

onewingedweasel

Blinding you with science.
I dont see a need to justify them. i love hybrids for the aesthetics. Its creative its fun to mix stuff around.

however if i have more serious characters, like for a story with real development then i like to be able to justify what goes on in that, but just art or stand alone wise i find no need to rationalize it.

Gavrill

ladies~
I had a hyena-tiger crossbreed once. I didn't feel the need to justify it since it's all in fantasy. And you can do whatever you want then :D

I do have a PsychoRaptor character now, which is sort of a crossbreed between a raptor and something fuzzy. It makes no sense, but it's fun. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.