• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Opinions on the Furry Roleplay community?

Balskarr

The Lurking Hooman
I think it's all a bit of good fun really. You furries really like your erotic stuff though. Sort of difficult to find stuff that's not erotic. And yes, Like Ovi mentioned. Too many minors trying to sneak into these things.

kidchameleon

Obsessed With Shapes & Colours
It's one of those things I know I could really get into, but probably won't because of the way most people go about it. Not super into erotica (apart from once a year on my birthday if I've been a really good boy all year) and feel like there'd always be a fear in my mind that someone would try to take it there, and I'd probably go with it because I'm suuuuuper passive.

In general though, I imagine it's pretty neat. Like, good exercise for writers and stuff.

Foxy Emy

*Mischivious Noises*
I see it as a form of storytelling. My goal around it has revolved around character and world development. Erotica has never been the main focus of it for me but that isn't to say that I will avoid NSFW topics if they make for good character development or add flavor to the world building aspect of things.

Though I guess most of my RP experience comes from Table-Top gaming or LARPs so it is usually more story and character focused with all other themes taking a back seat.

I am usually a non combatant in LARPs as I may favorite part about them is RPing the politics and doing math in my head quickly during combat is hard. Hahaha!

zidders

I stopped rp'ing back in 2009. Too much drama plus I don't like rp'ing with random people (too much risk given how many young people fake being older) plus (and not to sound like I have too high an opinion of myself) I got tired of being the better writer who does all the work. When I write I write a lot and do my best to write well. While I'm far from perfect I think I do a pretty good job. At least I've never read anyone complaining. Thing is a lot of the people I'd end up rp'ing with back in my rp'ing days never put much effort into it. Either they were doing it while doing something else or fapping instead of writing or whatever. It made it one sided and boring once I started only typing as much as my partner was. It all comes down to good rp partners being rare due to the time, skill and effort required to get to know the other person well enough for it to be any good.

Nowadays I stick to rp'ing with my best friend. While we don't rp all that often when we do it's always amazing. I know him, he knows me and we don't waste time figuring out what we like and don't like. We're close enough that every rp is meaningful and doesn't require all day to be.

Connor J. Coyote

¥otie ¥otezer
I'd say it depends; if you're an adult, then it can be a really nice way to escape into a fantasy world once-and-a-while, (away from the everyday stresses in our lives). RP (like the Fandom in general) can be creative, entertaining, fun, and also stimulating.

So - whilst some people may find it creepy - others may find it enjoyable and rewarding.

Nihles

Pet foxxo
I am an unashamed lover of most RP's, but I always try to make sure I get to know the person first. I can really sympathize with @zidders , it can be super frustrating to spend a half hour crafting a thoughtful post and get a two sentence response back.

Not sure what else to say here ;w;

Universe

Most powerful dragon human hybrid in the universe
I am an unashamed lover of most RP's, but I always try to make sure I get to know the person first. I can really sympathize with @zidders , it can be super frustrating to spend a half hour crafting a thoughtful post and get a two sentence response back.

Not sure what else to say here ;w;
I love rp too

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Yea, I've been rping for a ridiculously long time. |D

I love the character development aspect. I even started to do art so I could design my characters the way I see them. Most of my characters I wouldn't be able to find bases for or get an adopt.

However, it is really frustrating when I only get a 1 word response to my posts. I am part of a small community of rpers so it's a little more intimate/ I can let them know what I will and won't do. But if theres any thing that will make me stop the rp completely, its:
  1. Not respecting my F-list: list of kinks I will (and I absolutely won't) roleplay.
  2. Not putting effort into posts: I ask for a least a paragraph (3+ sentences).
  3. Not contributing to the plot. There are just some rp styles I cant get down with and thats people who make me do all the work in the story. -Or there is no story.
Honorable mention- OOC hypocrits. There was this one guy who didn't like polymory, but all the sudden I'm play 2-3 different characters for his character to have a relationship with? But as soon as one of the characters is trying to have a relationship with someone else, he shuts down the rp. What?
His character was so, barely 1 dimensional.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I only RP with one person because we trust and understand each other and each other's interests.

I'm leery of RPing with other people because I don't know if they'll share my exact interests and if they'll be respectful of my boundaries. I'm even more leery about RPing with non-furries, because I feel like furries as a group at least get that there's a basic difference between fantasy and reality (in theory).

It goes without saying that I don't like people who try to force others into RPing, or who jump straight into RPing without warning. (This is different from sprinkling a conversation with ::::actions::::, which is totally fine in moderation.)

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I only RP with one person because we trust and understand each other and each other's interests.

I'm leery of RPing with other people because I don't know if they'll share my exact interests and if they'll be respectful of my boundaries. I'm even more leery about RPing with non-furries, because I feel like furries as a group at least get that there's a basic difference between fantasy and reality (in theory).

It goes without saying that I don't like people who try to force others into RPing, or who jump straight into RPing without warning. (This is different from sprinkling a conversation with ::::actions::::, which is totally fine in moderation.)
*Furries* understand between fantasy and reality?
Lol-

zenmaldita

always hungry
/only has don volpe rp as reference/

(s1) It was a fun experiment to see what choices people would do given their rp situations

(s2 & s3) I think it's a good exercise for writers and somehow...we're really bloodthirsty. lmao

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
*Furries* understand between fantasy and reality?
Lol-

Furries can definitely get swept up in their own escapist fantasies, but I feel like furries will be less likely to glom onto an RP partner and expect them to turn their kinks into a physical reality. Granted, that might be an incorrect assumption on my part based on selection bias.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Geez, a lot of negativity, overall, in this thread.

Me, I think they're one of the best and most fun aspects of the fandom.

I really love it. From lighthearted SFW ones, to more complex plot-lines, and other more racy ones in which I still very much need development and detail, I love the variety they comprise, and the way they are limitless in terms of imagination

I very, very much prefer them to video-games, where I feel almost trapped in pre-scripted worlds others have created; hemmed in, if you will. In the world of RP, there's more room, more air, I can more easily find worlds that suit me, it's wholly open-ended.

I'll have to make a longer post about my years of various RPs; but certainly, as one who is often struggling financially, it's been a really wonderful way to connect with others on so many levels, from the comedic to the emotionally intense. But to me, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I find it can also be rewarding to help others hone their skills.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Furries can definitely get swept up in their own escapist fantasies, but I feel like furries will be less likely to glom onto an RP partner and expect them to turn their kinks into a physical reality. Granted, that might be an incorrect assumption on my part based on selection bias.
I think so.
I think I've seen the most lack of consent culture and other healthy kink community things in the furry fandom.
BUT, most standard roleplayers aren't appart of kink communities either. I wouldn't expect them to have the same knowledge either.

Phr0ggy_Phangs

Certified Monster Smoocher
I admit I used to do rp shit. It was fun with the right people and helped improve on my writing skills when I found literate rpers to brainstorm with. Everyone got their own ideas, experiences, and opinions on this kinda topic (especially the furries, holy fuck) so I ain't gonna touch on most of it. However, there is a couple things that many can agree on are the slime the leaks from the cracks of every furry forum ever.

1. Minors being a part of sexual roleplay.

2. People not knowing when to chill or back off when someone doesn't wanna rp with them.

3. Forced kinks, fetishes, and other subjects that can make the other party member uncomfortable. (and having the audacity to be mad when they reject or decline to these things)

4. Public fucking rps, in places they really should not be. *teleports into facebook comment wall* >nothin personnel kid ecksdee

...Otherwise, a completely harmless and even semi-social activity that can overall add some positivity to ones experience in the fandom, when found and done with the right group of people.

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
I'm not really into roleplay but for a different reason than most people here. I have trouble continuing a story when I have to make it up as I go along, and so I get stuck really quickly. As well, the kind of stories I like aren't what most people seem to be into so I have trouble getting invested.

I prefer to stick to my own, self-written stories.

Flumpor

I don't do ERP, mainly because I am not interested in that sort of stuff. But I do a lot of tabletops and GM'ing has been a great hobby for about 3 years now and tbh, I don't like full Furry groups or at least I need to be a lot more selective because there is just a weird Dynamic, can't help but drift off, everyone has almost the same character at some point and they are slow (why do you go into such details everytime, we still have 10 sessions to go). However I really like to have like 1 Furry in a group, really brings in a dynamic and it also restricts the 1 a bit.

I'm not really into roleplay but for a different reason than most people here. I have trouble continuing a story when I have to make it up as I go along, and so I get stuck really quickly. As well, the kind of stories I like aren't what most people seem to be into so I have trouble getting invested.

I prefer to stick to my own, self-written stories.
Then why don't you play play DnD as a Player Character? Your Story won't get ruined by the players then and you don't have to keep making things up apart from developing your character.

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
Then why don't you play play DnD as a Player Character? Your Story won't get ruined by the players then and you don't have to keep making things up apart from developing your character.
Hm. I guess I could give it a shot someday.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
As supposed to non-text Foxy? >u>

Real life roleplay is also almost always disappointing.

Few people act convincingly and sometimes you can practically see the gears and rubber bands moving behind their eyes as they try to fathom what their character is meant to do next.