• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Opinions/Suggestions: Masks/Partial Heads

Summercat

Former Motterator
Hey guys -

I decided to see if I could get some interesting responses and comments to a project I whipped up a few months back. Here's the photos:

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4502825/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4502832/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4507699/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4507706/

What this is is a mardi-gras mask with a nose support, made of firm cardboard/plastic, with a foam muzzle hotglued on, then fur hotglued and superglued on, then trimmed and shaved to fit. The pink nose is felt.

Currently this is just a furred and muzzled mardi-gras mask, but the intent with version 3 (this is version 1, no photos of version 2, sadly) is to build a furry hood to cover the sides, top, and back of the head while still leaving the lower jaw exposed. This would also allow for ears, with some additional support inside the hood, such as a headband.

I may consider trying to build in a movable jaw using a chinstrap and elastic, but that's a bit beyond me, and my current project is trying to sew spots onto a tail n.n;

Anyhow, I'm leaving this here in case anyone has any comments or suggestions on how to go about. I can also answer questions, too n.n

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Summer summer summer why....why oh why did you use CARDBOARD as one of your building materials? Cardboard is never supposed to be a building material. The problem is it gets zero durability.

When you do version 3, try to find something to use instead of cardboard for your mask just in case this is a head you want to wear over and over at different times.

Last edited:
as long as it doesn't end up like this then go right ahead! I think they're cool!

Summer summer summer why....why oh why did you use CARDBOARD as one of your building materials? Cardboard is never supposed to be a building material EVER for the kind of heads us furs make.

Don't use Cardboard next time. That's the first tip. I'll say more when I have more time.

It may have been one of those ones that you can buy at walmart *shrugs* they are sometimes a cardboard material with gloss on the front.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
It may have been one of those ones that you can buy at walmart *shrugs* they are sometimes a cardboard material with gloss on the front.

Doesn't matter if you put gloss or a shine or something over the cardboard. It's a shitty building material that falls apart on you fast. If all you are making is a throw away mask I can understand going with it but if you want something to get multiple uses out of, you find something else.

Doesn't matter if you put gloss or a shine or something over the cardboard. It's a shitty building material that falls apart on you fast. If all you are making is a throw away mask I can understand going with it but if you want something to get multiple uses out of, you find something else.

Well yea, I'm just saying that maybe he didn't make the base, he might of just bought it. What would make a good material for a half mask like that btw?

Deo

The hatred of FAF personified
Cardboard rots, superglue has toxic fumes, mardi gras masks are notoriously thin and the plastic can rip and the rip can cut up your face...

Cardboard rots

So I'm finding the hard way :/ my very first fursuit/halloween costume (that I made on a $20 budget and in 3 days) was a cardboard base and its starting to go bad

Summercat

Former Motterator
Hi guys -

Just a clarification (I was heading off to sleep as I made this thread) the material for the masks isn't actually cardboard. I... dont' know what it is, but it's semi-rigid, and becomes a bit more flexible under heat (such as the hot glue gun). They seem sturdy enough to use as a base (at the very least), and I plan on eventually putting a liner on the backside of the mask...

Jesie

I'M A WINNER
It sounds flimsy and not something you want to travel with. ie: a hot car will cause it to bend out of shape. Or something heavy landing on top of it, like another suit case, may crush it.

I personally would not work with that material.

Deo

The hatred of FAF personified
It sounds flimsy and not something you want to travel with. ie: a hot car will cause it to bend out of shape.
Also the inside of a suit's head can really heat up, I think I read somewhere that the inside of a mascot/fursuit performer's head can heat up to 120* F.

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
best way to make masks on a limited budget? sawdust and flour paste. then bake, then coat with epoxy. we have stageprops that are over 15 years old that were made with this method, and they're still used today.

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
Is foam and mesh really that expensive?

no. it's bloody cheap. but I fucking hate mesh. it's flimsy and doesnt hold it's own.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
no. it's bloody cheap. but I fucking hate mesh. it's flimsy and doesnt hold it's own.
Sounds like you are just as bad as using mesh correctly as you are sewing...just saying.

Mesh doesn't have to be flimsy if you know how to use it. One of the most solid heads I've ever built was a pure mesh construct as a base.

Jesie

I'M A WINNER
Sounds like you are just as bad as using mesh correctly as you are sewing...just saying.

Mesh doesn't have to be flimsy if you know how to use it. One of the most solid heads I've ever built was a pure mesh construct as a base.

This.

My gator and iguana masks are both mesh skulls and they are extraordinarily sturdy. Short of running them over with a car, you could likely sit on them and it's probable they'll just pop back into shape.

I know, because my sister has a gaggle of 7 year old little boys her live next to her. Needless to say I've learned mesh is not only strong, but child proof.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
This.

My gator and iguana masks are both mesh skulls and they are extraordinarily sturdy. Short of running them over with a car, you could likely sit on them and it's probable they'll just pop back into shape.

I know, because my sister has a gaggle of 7 year old little boys her live next to her. Needless to say I've learned mesh is not only strong, but child proof.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I know that if we sit on the baklava and mesh based once they bounce back if accidentally sit on. The mesh based ones can take several hit is all. If it gets one final good smash you can accidentally rip something on the inside. If that happens the whole head is ruined because mesh constructs are difficult to fix once the mesh does rip. That aside they are still very sturdy. This head: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/4720469/ is pure mesh. Has several construction issues I have to work out if I ever do it again but damn, knocking on it is like knocking on a skull. The very opposite of flimsy.

Unfortunately that head is way to big for my own body. Looks...funny on a small person like me. It's rather heavy too. That's one of the downsides of mesh though. Sometimes it can translate into over-big heads if you are not careful, and they can end up heavy.