• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Option: Disable Commenting on this submission

If the concern is about particular types of comments, or comments from certain individuals, rather than an aversion to any and all comments that a submission might receive, then the ability to delete any comments to your own submissions might be sufficient to address this need. That ability (and a similar capability for shouts and journal comments) is an oft-requested feature which I hope is on the to-do list.

ChrisNorland

The Facts
I wont add that, ultimately, whether someone wants critisism or not, is entirely thier choice, not yours, as much as many like to enforce thier opinion, it's entirely thier right to disable commenting should they predict bad comments on the particular submission, it is becoming the same reason they have this function to disable commenting on youtube videos to stop people complaining on videos perhaps bordering on rasicm, religion, drama, current events and more, you get the jist.

Should the submission or journal violate FA ToS, then you can submit a Trouble Ticket, otherwise why waste your breath when you have more submissions to check that perhaps do allow commenting, thus indicating that they approve of you commenting and may want critisism along with that.

Last edited:

Rigor Sardonicus

Banned
Banned
I was gonna post a tl;dr string of multi-quotes followed by "This." just to be a smartass, but since brevity is the soul of wit...

I wont add that, ultimately, whether someone wants critisism or not, is entirely thier choice (blah blah blah)
That's funny. It looks like you just did.

The community has spoken. You're (wasting everybody's time), and the idea is stupid.

Last edited:

net-cat

Infernal Kitty
Staff member
Administrator
http://us.vclart.net/vcl/

I doubt disabling comments will ever be allowed.

However, we eventually plan to make it so users can moderate (not delete, just hide) comments on their own submissions. There is no ETA on this feature.

ChrisNorland

The Facts
Agreed the ability to remove comments would suffice, but doing so can spark more negative commenting and is extra work for the user and likely afterwards an administrator. Many would take their comment being deleted as a provocative action whereas not posting results in no conflict.

Rigor said:
That's funny. It looks like you just did.

The community has spoken. You're (wasting everybody's time), and the idea is stupid.

The community is not just yourself, and the community which exists on the forum is a very small fraction, and is the idea stupid because you dont like it? It is freedom to have a choice, are you against this as well? As has been said several times in this topic, the idea has been suggested many a time before, those who are community shy or dont want the hassle or trouble finally having to speak for themselves instead of being spoken for by others, them normally falling on deaf ears and larger ego's as they slam any such good efficient and beneficial idea.

Last edited:

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Agreed the ability to remove comments would suffice, but doing so can spark more negative commenting and is extra work for the user and likely afterwards an administrator. Many would take their comment being deleted as a provocative action whereas not posting results in no conflict.

The community is not just yourself, and the community which exists on the forum is a very small fraction, and is the idea stupid because you dont like it? It is freedom to have a choice, are you against this as well? As has been said several times in this topic, the idea has been suggested many a time before, those who are community shy or dont want the hassle or trouble finally having to speak for themselves instead of being spoken for by others, them normally falling on deaf ears and larger ego's as they slam any such good efficient and beneficial idea.
The reason it failed before due to the Admins stating its a terrible idea, when an Admin say its terrible its the highest ranking that is saying its terrible. Its better to hide comments over completely removing the ability to comment or deleting them.

Do you know if we allow the ability to not comment, a person will abuse it, no matter what you say someone will abuse it. This is an art site, you will get critique for ones art

Faving isnt a good enough Feedback, than a actual comment.

Rigor Sardonicus

Banned
Banned

The idea is stupid for a number of reasons. See if you can spot the only one that's purely opinion:
  1. It has been proposed and rejected before.
  2. It would be abused by furries who can't handle criticism.
  3. Ferrox development is going slowly enough without this being crowbarred into it.
  4. The latest person to suggest it is an incoherent dolt, probably autistic, who doesn't understand how FA and the Site Suggestion board work.
Protip on that last one: The "Site Suggestion" forum is part of the forums for a reason. The admins decide whether or not to implement the suggestions based, in part, on how well or poorly the forum users at large receive these suggestions.

Now stop trying to have it both ways and GTFO. It's people like you who make me want to clean up my act and become a mod >_>;

Last edited:

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
Why is it necessary to be able to disable or delete potentially derogatory or insulting comments, exactly?

We have a report system to take care of those comments that break TOS,
and having those comments up for the duration of time it takes a mod to review the comment and delete it IF it breaks TOS isn't going to hurt anyone.
(Before anyone goes off on the "BAW BUT WORDS CAN HURTS ME" bullshit, no, they can't. Your insecurity is what hurts you. Words do not.)

I still support, for the sake of a more mature art community, that the whiners just gtfo and go find somewhere else to wall up themselves with their self-esteem issues.
The less "hide comment" and "delete comment" options are able to be abused by the insecure, the better.

mammagamma

WOBBLEWOBBLEWOBBLE
What's the point of even posting a submission in a public place if you don't want people to comment?

edit: looks like I'm repeating after people

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Why is it necessary to be able to disable or delete potentially derogatory or insulting comments, exactly?

We have a report system to take care of those comments that break TOS,
and having those comments up for the duration of time it takes a mod to review the comment and delete it IF it breaks TOS isn't going to hurt anyone.
(Before anyone goes off on the "BAW BUT WORDS CAN HURTS ME" bullshit, no, they can't. Your insecurity is what hurts you. Words do not.)

I still support, for the sake of a more mature art community, that the whiners just gtfo and go find somewhere else to wall up themselves with their self-esteem issues.
The less "hide comment" and "delete comment" options are able to be abused by the insecure, the better.
Actually I'm thinking the Hide Comment will still be there, and viewable by others still is my version. Like how on Youtube comments marked as spam can be viewed by others still

ChrisNorland

The Facts
QUOTING Rigor Sardonicus
  1. It has been proposed and rejected before. - Meaning?
  2. It would be abused by furries who can't handle criticism. - Or dont want it
  3. Ferrox development is going slowly enough without this being crowbarred into it. - Better an FA be rewritten and improved than rewritten and made exactly how it was, which would be pointless. Nows the best time than ever to include it.
  4. The latest person to suggest it is an incoherent dolt, probably autistic, who doesn't understand how FA and the Site Suggestion board work. - Thats just not very nice, the types of critisism people dont want to hear, yes then can handle it, but it stains there account like wine on their white shirt, and you ruin there reputation for what? Certainly what they don't need to deal with.

Now stop trying to have it both ways and GTFO. It's people like you who make me want to clean up my act and become a mod >_> - Im not going anywhere and dont appreciate your attitude to a suggestion. All of a sudden it sounds like you dont like critisism, as i am critisising the site, correct?
If you were mod, you would ban us for having an opinion.

Last edited:

ChrisNorland

The Facts
Oh sorry my suggestion breaks the rules, i wasnt aware i was breaking any. This is funny stuff. I want to hear more, and how the mod application goes down the drain quite quickly because of the attitude to a guest and his suggestion. Enlighten me more.

Rigor Sardonicus

Banned
Banned
Oh sorry my suggestion breaks the rules. This is funny stuff. I want to hear more.

Your suggestion doesn't. However, your pigheaded attitude certainly seems worthy of moderation, and this thread definitely ought to be closed.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
Oh sorry my suggestion breaks the rules, i wasnt aware i was breaking any. This is funny stuff. I want to hear more, and how the mod application goes down the drain quite quickly because of the attitude to a guest and his suggestion. Enlighten me more.
Chris its already been suggested over and over again,
the admins say "NO" over and over again to the same suggestion you are making.

To the whole "FAF is only a small percentage" FAF is nothing more than the forum side of FA, its where the discussions and everything else is. So when Furs on FAF say they dont like the idea, its furs who are on FA Saying they dont like the idea

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
The OP is one of those insecure furries who can't stand commentary on their works, I'm guessing.

If trolls don't utilize comments, they'll resort to private messages for their tactics.

ChrisNorland

The Facts
I havent recieved any PM's but its ok, i got my point across clearly that by letting people so openly access and comment (an unremovable or un-hidable type of comment) it can harm ones reputation, as well as cause well....this. From nothing. I honestly dont believe this topic went to this but i guess it was to be expected.

Crysix said:
Chris its already been suggested over and over again,
the admins say "NO" over and over again to the same suggestion you are making.

I understand, its a very big forum but not all new users are able to see that an idea has possibly already been put through (as i hadnt seen it, my apologies as iv heard it has been posted several times), and the FA history posts are a loooong read. I am happy to hear admin feedback, which was all i wanted along with some bad and good points. I believe in letting people speak for themselves besides than have the same people talking for them which can never be very healthy in the end for a community that should grow on its own and not under the loudest voices decisions...i wonder how a front page 'Dayly Poll' would go on the main site under the ads. That would be a great way to hear everyones views, and everyones. Eka's Portal i believe have a similar dayly or weekly poll that everyone is able to see at the bottom of the sidebar. Still that is another subject for another day, i thank those who have left constructive feedback so far.

Glaice said:
The OP is one of those insecure furries who can't stand commentary on their works, I'm guessing.

If trolls don't utilize comments, they'll resort to private messages for their tactics.

Very valid point, added.

Last edited:

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
Actually, the ability to disable comments on submissions or journals, is not a bad idea.

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
Is 18days considered Necroing? Plus it's a horrible idea.
No, and not from an administration perspective. I could see this feature being added to the admin's toolbox.

Rigor Sardonicus

Banned
Banned
No, and not from an administration perspective. I could see this feature being added to the admin's toolbox.
Admins can already ban people for pretty much whatever reason they want. Having this kind of tool would be redundant.

Devious Bane

No faith for this site
Banned
I could see this feature promoting a lot of escalation in drama as well.
Just imagine if Chewfox could disable comments on the journal. People would be posting more journals to bash at, promote more drama, thus the cycle spirals deeper into the community.

In which if that was the case I wouldn't have missed Neer's best move yet before he went and turn it into a complete failure.

This same instance can be trigger by submissions as well.

Last edited:

Carenath

Cynical Dragon
Admins can already ban people for pretty much whatever reason they want. Having this kind of tool would be redundant.
If an admin bans your account, all it does is prevent you from doing anything, it does not stop trolls from coming along and spamming nasty shouts on your page, or on your submissions/journals.
This situation makes banning a user a one-way street, whereby their detractors can post at leasure on the person's page until their accounts are subsequently banned as the user being targeted is no longer able to defend themselves.

Thus, being able to make it impossible for users to post on a banned users page, submissions or journals or indeed on a regular user's account where a particular journal is attracting mass amounts of drama posts, is a good feature to have.

@Devious: Chewfoxes journal, and the resulting shitstorm and problems caused by trolling users, is a prime example of why the above is a good idea.

Aurali

Banned
Banned
@Devious: Chewfoxes journal, and the resulting shitstorm and problems caused by trolling users, is a prime example of why the above is a good idea.

Exactly, Pinkuh can't even keep track of how many people she's had to ban because they posted to chewfox's account.

Devious Bane

No faith for this site
Banned
Just goes to show banning people isn't really the wisest option when someone baits a shitstorm.

@Careneth: It also the prime example of how bad it is if you read the cause-and-effect I marked. All it will lead to is more irate action and drama.