• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Other Furry Sites (oof)

O

Oakie-Dokie

I've never really liked the formatting of the FurAffinity site, so I went on a quest to discover new furry-integrated sites. The ones I discovered I've rated based on user-friendliness, looks, site activity, and overall member friendliness. I've also included some important info. Give me your thoughts/opinions!

RATINGS (from #1 site to #7)
1. Twitter (furry portions) Twitter. It's what's happening.
2. DeviantArt Browse Popular 24 Hours | DeviantArt
3. FurAffinity Index -- Fur Affinity [dot] net
4. Furry Network beta.furrynetwork.com: FN
5. SoFurry SoFurry - The furry creativity home
6. Furvilla Log in - Furvilla
7. ChickenSmoothie Adopt free virtual pets! - Chicken Smoothie

star ratings~

Twitter:
user-friendliness: ****
looks: ***
site activity: *****
friendliness: ****
My favourite aspects of Twitter are that first off, it is not strictly a furry site, so if you're part of more than one fandom you can follow up on everything at once, from one account. The members I have encountered thus far are extremely inviting and friendly (almost everyone follows back), and a great effort is made to ensure things are kept strictly SFW for the smol furs out there.
One downfall I noticed, however, is that there seems to be a sort of social hierarchy where con-going furs intermingle with each other and that seems to be the only conversation. For furs like me who can't afford or make the time to attend said cons, it can at times feel like you're being left out.

DeviantArt:
user-friendliness: ****
looks: **
site activity: *****
friendliness: ***
Like Twitter, DeviantArt is not strictly a furry site, and many fandoms will upload art to the site and be willing to chat and follow. Content filters are a tad bit more lenient, and most furs on the site, while not as willing to follow or check out your own work, at least keep a mostly steady stream of content to enjoy.
I've noticed particularly on this site a lot of hate mail, more so towards less-established users who are just beginning to post. Also, it's EXTREMELY hard to earn a following on this site. However, if you're the kind of person who just likes to view others' work, I highly recommend this site.

FurAffinity:
user-friendliness: **
site activity: ***
friendliness*****
Ahh, the great FA. I believe it's safe to assume that most everyone here already has a basic understanding of this site, so I can go ahead and get down to business.
The major pro for this place is the Forums. Not everyone wants to simply browse through galleries all day; they want to talk. The forums here (you're on them) remain fairly active 24/7 without becoming overwhelmingly crowded or irrelevant. It's an inviting place for anyone, not just furs.
However, FA isn't necessarily a good place for the people who don't like fetish art. It's practically all that gets uploaded these days. If you're into that, enjoy I guess. Other than that my only major complaint is the controls on the site.

Furry Network (BETA):
user-friendliness: *****
looks: *****
site activity: *
Furry Network was definitely a show-stopper- at first. From the second I logged on I knew exactly how to operate on the site, the layout of everything was extremely appealing and had somewhat of an Amino vibe going for it. A feature I found AMAZING was the ability to mass-upload files (each file in a modern-looking table; when clicked on you could change its info and then upload them all at once), as well as the WONDERFUL artwork I found upon browsing.
That was where I ran into a huge problem, though. And normally with a site in Beta mode I would understand this, but you have to hear this.
a. The site was a virtual ghost town. This, once again, makes sense as the site is in testing. The site is most certainly going to be small while the moderators are still collecting feedback and improving the site for a potential release, but yet this next part still deeply confuses me:
b. some of the newest posts were from 2015.
Now from my experience in creating websites I find it HIGHLY unlikely that it would take so long for any site to be open to the public, and the only logical explanations I can think for this to be is:
~The site was already running, but a major bug was discovered during that year and the moderators are just now testing out their progress on the bug. If this is the case I highly doubt the site will be fully functional anytime soon.
~The site was open until said year, closed, and is re-opening. This would make a little more sense, but you'd think either all the old media would be gone or more people would already be returning to the site, such as previous members as well as new ones. And for a site to be open for me to find in Google and make an account as well as post stuff within 10 minutes, it's a little unnerving that no one else has.
~The project was cancelled during Beta Testing. If this is the case, the site is dead. End of story.

SoFurry:
user-friendliness: ***
I found SoFurry to be average in every aspect; usable, but in no way trying to impress. I don't really have anything good or bad to say about it, either. It's just... Average. So while it gets points for actually being active and functioning, you're not going to see me there very often.

Furvilla:
looks: ***
friendliness: ****
Furvilla is one of the best anthro games I've played, to its merit. The idea is a great one, and at first, the gameplay is also amazing. But prices are high, there's work to be done, and the game quickly becomes annoyingly repetitive. It requires countless days of clicking several different buttons to even establish yourself, and then several MORE days to get more stuff. The way the game itself is set up is for you to either completely screw up and go broke, or to strike it up, get rich, and then find out you need over 5,000,000 cash to get ONE SMALL PART of something that will keep the game moving. It's a little too real about life for it to be a fun game.

Chicken Smoothie:
user-friendliness: *
friendliness: **
Chicken Smoothie is essentially checking back once a month and every 3 or so hours to see if there are any new pets. There seems to be absolutely NO point other than that, other than a trade option which no one really uses anyway...

Did I miss any sites? What are your experiences/opinions?

TrishaCat

The Cat in the FAF
Twitter is terrible! Functionally, at least. It compresses all images and jpegs them, lowering image quality on art. It's not useable as an art gallery due to its timeline functionality, so you can't see what all an artist has created as well. It also discourages discussion in favor of blog posts due to its character limit, and this has an unintended affect of forcing people to simplify complex ideas and topics into short statements, constantly creating misunderstandings between users. Not to mention it's like system randomly has the same functionality as the retweet button from time to time, showing other people what you've liked, and it likes to hide replies from people from time to time.

Kumali

Lupine-American
There's furryrphaven as a forum, but it's pretty quiet these days...still active, but barely, from the look of it.

Cawdabra

Twitter is terrible! Functionally, at least. It compresses all images and jpegs them, lowering image quality on art. It's not useable as an art gallery due to its timeline functionality, so you can't see what all an artist has created as well. It also discourages discussion in favor of blog posts due to its character limit, and this has an unintended affect of forcing people to simplify complex ideas and topics into short statements, constantly creating misunderstandings between users. Not to mention it's like system randomly has the same functionality as the retweet button from time to time, showing other people what you've liked, and it likes to hide replies from people from time to time.
Not to mention infinite scrolling and lack of structure in replies. Plus most of the furries on Twitter tend to be the younger SJW-y crowd.

O

Oakie-Dokie

yeah, i hate that about Twitter, but at the same time i also find it to be an easier way to connect with other furs. I noticed just after posting this that i was taking different features into context when it came to reviews (game quality, forum activity, connectivity, etc) that i probably should've included. :p and you're right; most of my art has quotes you can never read from twitter

Goldenqilin

Secretly a Junes employee
There's also furry amino. It's pretty active and I find it convenient and easy to use. I use it for commissions especially (It's difficult compared to FA, but possible). The only downside is that amino's userbase is pretty young (I'd say 12-15) so the moderation is kinda strict depending on who you ask. Also, the image quality is absolute garbage unless you pay.

All in all, it's decent, and I use it on a regular basis.

O

Oakie-Dokie

There's also furry amino. It's pretty active and I find it convenient and easy to use. I use it for commissions especially (It's difficult compared to FA, but possible). The only downside is that amino's userbase is pretty young (I'd say 12-15) so the moderation is kinda strict depending on who you ask. Also, the image quality is absolute garbage unless you pay.

one of my pet peeves about Amino is that i can't actually contribute unless i have the app, and...
IMG_20171219_204015.jpg

but i've heard pretty mixed reviews of it. personally i'd think it to be much more user-friendly, but i wouldn't know all that well...

Goldenqilin

Secretly a Junes employee
one of my pet peeves about Amino is that i can't actually contribute unless i have the app, and...
View attachment 32028
but i've heard pretty mixed reviews of it. personally i'd think it to be much more user-friendly, but i wouldn't know all that well...
Woah! I wasn't expecting that sort of phone. It brings back a lot of memories :)

But yeah, the community could be a mixed bag from what I've heard. I haven't experienced anything negative myself, though. Sometimes I feel like its almost a matter of... sensitivity? Some people on there get really pouty over little things.

AppleButt

The user base being so young got to me on Furry Amino.

I don’t hate young users at all, but it’s hard for me personally to deal with being among the oldest/more mature of the demographic somewhere.

I’m more comfortable dealing somewhere with more adults.

It seemed to be pretty decent for artists though.

And I think youngsters would definitely enjoy it there.

Dreamline

Let The Good Times Roll
Weasyl is dead, forum-wise. The art gallery and interface would the only things going for it.

O

Oakie-Dokie

now as an update, I know some people consider art based of the Warriors books by Erin Hunter as anthro/furry art, and as a diehard Warriors fan, I have sites for that too that may be worth considering to some degree

edit: one specifically, BlogClan, is literally just a forum. it's got several flaws, but it's got everything to imagine for you to do, as well as different branch sites for stories, art, rp, etc.

G

Ginza

now as an update, I know some people consider art based of the Warriors books by Erin Hunter as anthro/furry art, and as a diehard Warriors fan, I have sites for that too that may be worth considering to some degree

edit: one specifically, BlogClan, is literally just a forum. it's got several flaws, but it's got everything to imagine for you to do, as well as different branch sites for stories, art, rp, etc.

I need to get back into the fandom qwq
I loved the books, it was just the fanbase that was... interesting

Oh btw, gonna send you a PM about borrowing books via Twitter -

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
Chicken Smoothie has very friendly users, I'm not sure what you're talking about. 95% of the people on there are really nice.

And it has more purpose than that. If you use the site just for the pets, then yeah, it's pretty boring. But what about the forums? The forums on there are great and it's the only reason I still go on that website. There are lots of nice artists as well--I've gotten some of my favorite art pieces of my characters from that website. The forum games are also fun, and there are hundreds of user-made adoptables with many cool closed species such as Viscets and Kalons.

Weasyl is another furry site I've heard some things about.

I used to champion this place, but I do not recommend it anymore. Dwindling userbase that never saw any major surges beyond it's starting crowd. Mods jumping ship left and right. No updates rolled out in over 2 years. Confusing and backwards ratings guidelines that they wholly stand by and make certain categories and features pointless because of how dumb they are. The site is a ghost town for good reason. It's a clean and functioning site yes and the mods don't gross me the fuck out like the ones on FA, but it was built with spite for FA by people with apparently poor management skills and no foresight.

I stayed with the place for years, but I had to bail. And if you do commissions for a living, don't even consider the place. It's such a shame I have to say any of this.

Also Furiffic is another site that's kinda new, but like FurryNetwork, it's stagnant and going nowhere. It's also very ugly. Like SUPER ugly.
But it has a robust upload system that I liked.

Ciderfine

Slow as sickness but true as sap
Banned
Some of the sites you listed have nothing to do with the core of the furry fandom, and arent furry.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer

A friend of mine convinced me to try this, and you've summed up my thoughts on it very well! There also seemed be this annoying sort of boastfulness about it, or the feeling of it being some sort of popularity contest. But the format I found horrid. And, lots of ads. Overall, I found Twitter tended to make me feel depressed, and so, I stopped checking it, and let it wither away.

Not to be a spoil-sport and old grouch, but my ratings :p

Twitter:
looks: * (Seems Dowdy/Frumpy)
friendliness: zero

On a similar note there's Telegram: which feels to me a lot like Discord and Twitter mated, and had a baby. I've signed up for some furry groups, but it's sorta hard as you have so many people trying to talk at once, and no, 'channels'...I've tended to use it for DMs. I suppose the stickers can be fun, but like Twitter, it seems to lead to very short little posts, and it's as if all I really do is waste time, scrolling down past conversations about as interesting as watching paint dry, perhaps less so.

Telegram:
looks: ****
friendliness: *

Another Edit: Also, I don't like how you can't really make a profile, on Telegram. Or, you can, but it's something like a 70 character limit. And so, it seemed odd, not to really know anything abut anyone, even gender, other that what they might be typing at the moment; I don't need book length bios, but in terms of trying to meet others, it seemed like a very difficult way to do so. And so, I'd say the platform is inherently discouraging that way, to newcomers, to the groups on it.

Last edited:

Inkblooded

Him...
Banned
furvilla is 1. not an art site 2. not a social media 3. a terrible, terrible place. Its basically like if someone took Neopets and made it furry themed, which isnt a bad idea in theory, BUT its also run by people with insane Orwellian postmodernist ideas that they try and force into the game. they try to be PC to the point of actually being offensive and it seems to attract a very toxic crowd

its a shame, because the art was cute and the custom pet system seemed like a good idea. but sometimes good ideas fall into the hands of terrible people