• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Otherkin what is you opinion and experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild-Fantasy-Run

Insert Clever Answer Here
Ok so I don't want to sound like a ass, but other-kin are pretty intense crazy f**k's. I am sorry if you are other-kin and thats insulting but I went and tried dipping my toes into their world and wholly S**T man. I consider my self a strange person myself and into what some would call questionable, like occultism (the good side). I want to know if the parallel is big enough between other-kin and furries or what? I heard that other-kin are intense but damn. Can you educate me about this fandom or "CULTURE". Do you have any experiences that were positive or negative? Once again if your other-kin on this site my bad but I went to a few sites and god the ego and psycho trip 0___0. Talk to me people! :eek:

quoting_mungo

If this thread is going to be permitted to continue, there needs to be a drastic change in tone. We do not talk about people as "crazy fucks" or "psycho trip". Regardless of how you feel about otherkin, showing them basic courtesy and respect is not optional.

S

Scales42

First of all I'd recommend a less vulgar choice of words.

But to anwser your question, Iam a person that focuses on facts, Iam also not religious so the otherkin community striked me as very bizarre the first time I came across it. The thing is, at the end of the day, iam not in the position to judge people for their believes and neither do I want to. I never had a conversation with an otherkin before so that's also something I'd like to do in the future.

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Same as any other belief system; you do you, i'll do me. i will respect you to the best of my ability but the moment you start making demands of me, then we might have a problem. Entitlement is earned, not a given.

Wild-Fantasy-Run

If this thread is going to be permitted to continue, there needs to be a drastic change in tone. We do not talk about people as "crazy fucks" or "psycho trip". Regardless of how you feel about otherkin, showing them basic courtesy and respect is not optional.

Noted, my bad. I was conveying emotion a little to much.

Wild-Fantasy-Run

First of all I'd recommend a less vulgar choice of words.

But to anwser your question, Iam a person that focuses on facts, Iam also not religious so the otherkin community striked me as very bizarre the first time I came across it. The thing is, at the end of the day, iam not in the position to judge people for their believes and neither do I want to. I never had a conversation with an otherkin before so that's also something I'd like to do in the future.

I respect that, I wrote that piece in a hurry without explaining my meaning. When I went on to make my case I was not attacking their beliefs, but the way they acted in a rational conversation. They acted like a sociopath because you wont respect their position but neglect yours, it was the usual lack of common respect that leads to this. It turned south from there and threats were all of a sudden being thrown at me, what the hell?. Once again it really doesn't matter to me if you believe in the spaghetti monster I respect that but don't go over board. In the end it was my fault I introduced myself into that part of the fandom. As for having a conversation with a other-kin community, I wish you a better experience then me.

Wild-Fantasy-Run

but you kinda did anyway.

No taking it back, I own it. while I will watch my manners more from here on out there was no other way for me to convey my point at the time.

Wild-Fantasy-Run

Same as any other belief system; you do you, i'll do me. i will respect you to the best of my ability but the moment you start making demands of me, then we might have a problem. Entitlement is earned, not a given.

I agree, as mentioned above I messed up in my message. I was attacking the over-all lack common respect, not their beliefs. I wrote this in a negative light because of emotional response. My position still stands, however that was my first impression. I don't push my beliefs on anyone, but if a conversation heads into a direction who is right I wont participate for the sake of convincing you but to defend my position. Hell, sometimes I wont do that and just walk away, it would be like talking to a wall.

Wild-Fantasy-Run

Also, I know everyone is different but you treat others like you want to be treated. So common respect is not something that needs to be earned, I know there are many people I met who said that's BS. It's not, if there are people who truly believe that then I exercise my right to "correct" the offender. which doesn't really solve anything. One could point to this post and use it against me, but I am human too, I do my best. Giving common respect? Easy, no effort required.

WolfNightV4X1

King of Kawaii; That Token Femboy
The only ones I have an issue with are the tumblrina tier types who are entitled fucks and also compare themselves to being transgender, which isn't the same at all. That, and people who try to die or something over their perceived delusions, it's incredibly unhealthy!

I don't find otherkinism realistic myself since people think they are actually fake things like fairies or rocks.

I consider therians to be a tad more realistic because there is historical culture and sentiment behind animal souls, otherkin and therian do share overlap, but they both have different origins.

Those two also share overlap with furry, though furry is more fantasy /hobby based than belief in identifying as a species/thing

I'm not therian, though I do have therian tendencies and experiences since forever. Since I'm a logical.
person I just enjoy the behavioral aspects of animal experiences, they're not intentionally and come naturally.

That said, I have no problems with their communities or beliefs, even if it's a tad odd, they just have to keep to themself or be respectful or responsible, not harm themselves or others physically or with their shifty attitudes.

WolfNightV4X1

I was not attacking their beliefs, but the way they acted in a rational conversation. They acted like a sociopath because you wont respect their position but neglect yours, it was the usual lack of common respect that leads to this. It turned south from there and threats were all of a sudden being thrown at me, what the hell?. .

Sounds like your generalizing all otherkin over a conversation with one or a few of them...sounds like a thing not to do to any community, period

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
No offense to people who consider themselves otherkin, but I think they're unmistakably delusional. What I'm curious about is what makes these people susceptible to believing things like this?

WolfNightV4X1

No offense to people who consider themselves otherkin, but I think they're unmistakably delusional. What I'm curious about is what makes these people susceptible to believing things like this?

I know people have intense attachments and feeling towards a particular theme or creation, especially when it comes to animal bonds the connections and perceived feelings are stronger. I understand that much, though I don't think taking it further than that is very logical.

Delusions are only harmful if they harm the person...and I've met a few nuts like that, sadly :/

GreenZone

Banned
Banned
they're crazy...

back in the early days of web 2.0 some one once told me "there's these guys who think digimon are real my dude" naturally i had to investigate and yeah they were a bunch of nutjobs thinking Digimon were real and that the TV show cards and toys was to just cover it up but they all had one common trait apart from a good chunk of them having autism self esteem issues and a few having depression

about 80% of them were Therian/Otherkin

i think that says enough

D

Deleted member 82554

Have touched base on this topic on a few occasions and while I may not encourage or support their belief(s) my opinion is usually the same: as long as they're not hurting anyone or setting a bad example I see no reason why they can't believe or do what they want if it makes them happy, you only live once. And just think, how many see otherkins is the same way many see furries, yet, here we are, doing our thing and not giving a damn (for the most part).

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Just to be tooootally clear, my "you" in my initial post were general; not meaning anyone specific. By "you" i meant anyone. "You do you." Likewise, my statement about earning entitlement wasn't directed at anyone either.

Just felt the need to clarify that.

quoting_mungo

I gave this thread a chance to shape up, and while some of you have made an effort to show the otherkin community respect, there's still too much of the namecalling and bashing attitude going on here. No more.

Status
Not open for further replies.