• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Owl rescued in Rockefeller Center Christmas tree

D

Deleted member 134556

I figured something positive and heartwarming is in order after these past few days, and while it's pretty early for the holidays, this little owl deserves some recognition for surviving a disaster.

"NEW YORK (AP) — It wasn’t quite a partridge in a pear tree, but a worker helping set up the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree found a holiday surprise — a tiny owl among the massive branches.

The little bird, now named what else but Rockefeller, was discovered on Monday, dehydrated and hungry, but otherwise unharmed, said Ellen Kalish, director and founder of the Ravensbeard Wildlife Center in Saugerties, New York, where the bird was taken.

Kalish said the bird is an adult male Saw-whet owl, one of the tiniest owls. It was taken to a veterinarian on Wednesday and got a clean bill of health."

1605871235379.png

"He’s had a buffet of all-you-can-eat mice, so he’s ready to go,” she said.

She said the plan was to release the owl back to the wild this weekend.

The tree, a 75-foot (23-meter) Norway spruce, had been brought to Manhattan on Saturday from Oneonta, New York, in the central part of the state. The tree is put in place and then decorated over some weeks before being lit for the public in early December."

DISCUSS!

Last edited by a moderator:

ben909

vaporeon with Axolotl gill array as neck fin
I always wonder why they don’t plant permanent trees instead of cutting down a new one every year

———————-
... but this was supposed to be about the bird.... aaaa i missed the point

Sam Akuchin Wamm

I always wonder why they don’t plant permanent trees instead of cutting down a new one every year

———————-
... but this was supposed to be about the bird.... aaaa i missed the point
originally the christmas tradition was to PLANT trees but somewhere along the line it got mixed up.

Yule used to be a Swedish holiday before the Italians bundled it together with Christmas and Saint Nicolas' Day.
Santa was originally Odin (a gnome) and he rode a goat that lept from rooftop to rooftop delivering coal so people wouldn't freeze in the winter.
Boy how things changed.

D

Deleted member 134556

originally the christmas tradition was to PLANT trees but somewhere along the line it got mixed up.

Yule used to be a Swedish holiday before the Italians bundled it together with Christmas and Saint Nicolas' Day.
Santa was originally Odin (a gnome) and he rode a goat that lept from rooftop to rooftop delivering coal so people wouldn't freeze in the winter.
Boy how things changed.
Thanks for the cultural lesson. Yule sounds like a cool holiday :3

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Thanks for the cultural lesson. Yule sounds like a cool holiday :3
right up until the point where you're supposed to leave your children's toe nails out for him to collect because he's fond of children.

that's kinda creepy.

Yakamaru

Level 32 Knight
Speaking of owl rescue.. Found this one while browsing just now too.

~Edit~
Hmm, this gave me an idea for a new thread, actually.. Hol' up.

Last edited:

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Speaking of owl rescue.. Found this one while browsing just now too.

~Edit~
Hmm, this gave me an idea for a new thread, actually.. Hol' up.
as long as they took the line down after this a satisfactory job.

it would have been better if they took the animal to the vet to make sure they were fit enough to survive in the wild though.

just because the bird can fly in that moment doesn't mean they might not be starved enough they are unable to catch prey.

if you believe the bible, God gave mankind the land to keep it and as a good groundskeeper one should ensure the health of the environment around them so as there is resources for oneself rather than exploiting it for adundant gain at the risk of losing it all together.