• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Painting birds help

TallmanClay

want taco
I'd like to learn to paint birds. I can understand well enough how to draw birds with longer, visible feathers, but shorter feathers with invisible edges escape me. Someone please tell me how they go about painting birds, link a tutorial, or just another artist who has painted that kind of bird. I can only find eagles, hawks, and other large, long-feathered ones. Thanks!

What I have:

Ghostbird

Creep of the week
Your bird looks really good! Look at alot of references of various species. See how the feathers sit on the body. Looking at a bird you're not going to see every feather. As a general rule though, shorter feathers on the head and legs with longer feathers on the body. Audubon has drawn hundreds of birds, so its worth a look.

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
What species of bird is that?

TallmanClay

want taco
Your bird looks really good! Look at alot of references of various species. See how the feathers sit on the body. Looking at a bird you're not going to see every feather. As a general rule though, shorter feathers on the head and legs with longer feathers on the body. Audubon has drawn hundreds of birds, so its worth a look.
Thanks for the advice! I'll look him up.

What species of bird is that?
It's a blue-eared starling probably. It looks almost identical to a cape glossy, but I think it's the blue-eared one.