• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Painting Pupils on Resin Eyes- How Do You Do It?

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
You know, if it works for you, go for it. When I build brass and piano wire slot car chassis, my chassis are built a little unconventionally. It works for me, though.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
Have you ever thought about using frisket film? You can apply a piece to cover the surface, draw the pupil on the film, then use an exacto knife to cut away the area to be painted. You could then use an airbrush to do the painting. In many ways, better than masking tape. You should be able to get the film at a hobby shop or just order it through Dick Blick.

AS an aside, Dick Blick is a bad place to shop if you're prone to impulse purchases. I still have art supplies and other things I purchased that I have no idea how I will use them.

Have you ever thought about using frisket film? You can apply a piece to cover the surface, draw the pupil on the film, then use an exacto knife to cut away the area to be painted. You could then use an airbrush to do the painting. In many ways, better than masking tape. You should be able to get the film at a hobby shop or just order it through Dick Blick.

AS an aside, Dick Blick is a bad place to shop if you're prone to impulse purchases. I still have art supplies and other things I purchased that I have no idea how I will use them.

Thanks for your reply! I have actually tried frisket tape, got it from Dick Blick as a matter of fact. :) I've had trouble getting it to cut as neatly as I like, though. My punches can't handle it and my cutting skills aren't as neat as I like. Haven't thought of applying it directly to the eye and cutting it away from there, though, that might be worth a try!

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
I used the film, not tape on slot car bodies. They are made from 0.007" to 0.010" clear lexan. I use a regular old exacto blade, a new one. Frisket film will cut cleanly for you if the blade is sharp. When it starts dragging, swap out the blade.