• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Paradoxes: The Ultimate Oxymoron

L

LeaDev

Aside From The Fancy Title....

This thread is meant to discuss any form of paradoxes.

I'll begin with one;
If one said their life is meaningless, technically they gave it a meaning, as they defined what their life is.

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
There once was a small town. Everyone owed a large debt to someone else and no one had the money to pay off their debt.
A tourist comes to town and requests a room. The tourist wants to see the room first to see if he likes it. The hotel owner says OK, but requires a sizeable deposit which he will return if the tourist doesn't like the room.
The tourist pays the hotel owner and goes to see the room. The hotel owner sees that this is the exact amount he needs to pay off his chef's back wages and pays him. The Chef sees that this is the exact amount he needs to pay to the grocer for supplies that he hadn't paid for and pays him. The groces sees that this is the exact amount that he owes the doctor for his office visit and pays the doctor. The doctor sees that this will cover his nurse's back wages and pays her. The nurse was new in town and had been staying at the hotel and the amount was exactly what she owed the hotel owner, so she paid him. The tourist comes back and is dissatisfied with the rooms and the hotel owner gives him back his deposit. Everyone has been paid but nothing has changed and everyone is now happy.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
From Jorge Luis Borges, "Kafka and his Precursors" :

"My notes also register two stories. One is from Léon Bloy's Histories désobligeantes and relates the case of some people who possess all manner of globes, atlases, railroad guides and trunks, but who die without ever having managed to leave their home town. The other is entitled 'Carcass one' and is the work of Lord Dunsany. An invincible army of warriors leaves an infinite castle, conquers kingdoms and sees monsters and exhausts the deserts and the mountains, but they never reach Carcassonne, though once they glimpse it from afar. (This story is, as one can easily see, the strict reverse of the previous one; in the first, the city is never left; in the second, it is never reached.)"

I remember that there is the Evatla paradox.

From the ancient Greek sophist Protagoras studied sophistry, including Judicial eloquence, a certain Evatl. According to the agreement concluded between them, Evatl should have paid 10 thousand drachmas for training only if he won his first trial. In case of loss of the first lawsuit, he was not obliged to pay at all.

However, having completed the training, Evatl did not become involved in litigation. As a result, he considered himself free from paying for his studies. It lasted for quite a long time, Protagoras' patience dried up, and he himself filed a lawsuit against his pupil. Thus, the first Evatla trial was to take place. Protagoras believed that if he won the case the court would oblige Evatla to pay him money but if he lost then under the contract Evatl must pay the money because Evatl would win the case. But Evatl himself objected that if he won the case the court won’t oblige him to pay money to Protagoras but if he lost then he would not have to pay money according to the contract. This is a paradox.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
This statement is false.

Yakamaru

The hecking blepper
Here's a fun paradox for you: The more equal men and women become in terms of rights, the less equal the outcome.

Yakamaru

The hecking blepper
Can you say what "the outcome" is in your own words without referencing a video. Its a rather simple question.
Different choices = Different outcome.

Men and women are fundamentally different, and will choose differently. In a country where they have equal rights and equal opportunities, the outcome, i.e., the career they will seek, is different. The ratio 80/20 very often comes up. It's why you have a lot less men who are nurses and a lot less women who work like in for instance construction or on oil rigs.

Peach's

mathmagician
Different choices = Different outcome.

Men and women are fundamentally different, and will choose differently. In a country where they have equal rights and equal opportunities, the outcome, i.e., the career they will seek, is different. The ratio 80/20 very often comes up. It's why you have a lot less men who are nurses and a lot less women who work like in for instance construction or on oil rigs.
This is a very simplistic understanding of this phenomena, and there other factors at play here than some innate desire of women and men to work certain jobs (which may be a factor). Often times this distribution doesn't even pan to usual view of men and women, there is a near 50/50 split of men and women in mathematics, which fits into no-ones narrative. This would be an interesting discussion for another thread, but its certainly not a paradox.

Yakamaru

The hecking blepper
This is a very simplistic understanding of this phenomena, and there other factors at play here than some innate desire of women and men to work certain jobs (which may be a factor). Often times this distribution doesn't even pan to usual view of men and women, there is a near 50/50 split of men and women in mathematics, which fits into no-ones narrative. This would be an interesting discussion for another thread, but its certainly not a paradox.
This isn't about anyone's narratives. It's merely looking at the general differences in choices from different demographics.

Hence why it's called the gender paradox: Normally you'd think the more equal the genders there would be a more even split across the board when it comes to careers/jobs and in other areas. But data doesn't go in that direction.

Liseran Thistle

They/Them
You have a ship, every day you remove a piece of wood from the ship and you use it to repair a second one until all the wood from the first ship is gone. At the end, which ship is the original? the one you took apart or the one you have before you?

I remember that one from a tv show but i can't remember what it was called.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
You have a ship, every day you remove a piece of wood from the ship and you use it to repair a second one until all the wood from the first ship is gone. At the end, which ship is the original? the one you took apart or the one you have before you?

I remember that one from a tv show but i can't remember what it was called.

Ships of Theseus?

I think that Abraham Lincoln's axe is an example of such a 'ship'. The head of the axe was replaced at a point in history, and then the handle was subsequently replaced.

JakeTheFoXx

Ope, 'Scuse Me
There once was a small town. Everyone owed a large debt to someone else and no one had the money to pay off their debt.
A tourist comes to town and requests a room. The tourist wants to see the room first to see if he likes it. The hotel owner says OK, but requires a sizeable deposit which he will return if the tourist doesn't like the room.
The tourist pays the hotel owner and goes to see the room. The hotel owner sees that this is the exact amount he needs to pay off his chef's back wages and pays him. The Chef sees that this is the exact amount he needs to pay to the grocer for supplies that he hadn't paid for and pays him. The groces sees that this is the exact amount that he owes the doctor for his office visit and pays the doctor. The doctor sees that this will cover his nurse's back wages and pays her. The nurse was new in town and had been staying at the hotel and the amount was exactly what she owed the hotel owner, so she paid him. The tourist comes back and is dissatisfied with the rooms and the hotel owner gives him back his deposit. Everyone has been paid but nothing has changed and everyone is now happy.

I like this.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
FurAffinity Forums debate paradox: The more stats, links and articles you put in your reply, the less logical sense it makes to everyone else :^)
It's because the more links you post the less likely other people are to click any of them. ;D

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
Schrödingers cat isn't a paradoxon. It just describes the correlation of condition and viewer. The natural condition without an observer is just superimposed. The paradox is just a result of thinking in substituive anticlimaxes.
From Wikipedia:
Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment, sometimes described as a paradox, devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935.[1] It illustrates what he saw as the problem of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics applied to everyday objects. The scenario presents a hypothetical cat that may be simultaneously both alive and dead,[2][3][4][5][6][7][8] a state known as a quantum superposition, as a result of being linked to a random subatomic event that may or may not occur.