• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Paranormal Occurences

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
That's silly semantics.

One does not 'believe that no ghosts exist'. One 'does not believe that ghosts exist'. The latter is the correct expression, while the former is a meagre attempt to make skepticism appear to be a claim.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
Yadda yadda, something something semantics, the philosophy of existence/nonexistence, beliefs, no proof against/for, literalist views of "what's in front of my eyes", "technically gravity is still a theory", stfu Red, yadda yadda.

Yeah. Okay. We get it. We're a bunch of crazy floozies for simply discussing the nature of ghosts'n'shit and we can't use "well it's not disproved as an argument to keep anyone from presumptuously assuming they are right just because you're stupid for believing in ghosts jeeze."

I don't even really believe in shit either way. But as I've also not seen evidence that A: The soul does not exist, B: The soul dies with the body or does not go to some other determined place besides this earthly plain, I don't feel bad about theorizing about sightings within the belief that they may/may not exist.

Can we move on now? Because as it is, this would turn less into an debate about ghosts'n'shit and the philisophical semantics of something inherantly being "fact" by it not being see. Cause I guess, technically, the earth being flat and all was complete and utter fact while the idea of it being round was fantasy. Once evidence started portraying itself otherwise, the world being round became a fact, and the flat-earth became the belief. So whatever, ghosts don't exist, blah blah it's not a belief it's a fact. And believing in ghosts is a childish silly belief

----

SO. Anyone else seen some spooky shit lately?

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Yadda yadda, something something semantics, the philosophy of existence/nonexistence, beliefs, no proof against/for, literalist views of "what's in front of my eyes", "technically gravity is still a theory", stfu Red, yadda yadda.

Yeah. Okay. We get it. We're a bunch of crazy floozies for simply discussing the nature of ghosts'n'shit and we can't use "well it's not disproved as an argument to keep anyone from presumptuously assuming they are right just because you're stupid for believing in ghosts jeeze."

I don't even really believe in shit either way. But as I've also not seen evidence that A: The soul does not exist, B: The soul dies with the body or does not go to some other determined place besides this earthly plain, I don't feel bad about theorizing about sightings within the belief that they may/may not exist.

There is so much wrong with that but tonight I just don't care enough to point it all out :T
But I am bored since my dinner is still in the oven so here goes!
As for the gravity part, theories describe scientific facts. That's how the word is defined.

And about disproving ghosts and souls, that is not possible. You can't prove a negative! If you believe in it then you have to prove that it does exist. It's called burden of proof. So of course there is no evidence that souls don't exist. But more importantly, there no evidence at all that they do exist.

Also, no I haven't. Because my life is boring and because I have nerves of steel.

Fallowfox

Can we move on now? Because as it is, this would turn less into an debate about ghosts'n'shit and the philisophical semantics of something inherantly being "fact" by it not being see. Cause I guess, technically, the earth being flat and all was complete and utter fact while the idea of it being round was fantasy. Once evidence started portraying itself otherwise, the world being round became a fact, and the flat-earth became the belief. So whatever, ghosts don't exist, blah blah it's not a belief it's a fact. And believing in ghosts is a childish silly belief

----

SO. Anyone else seen some spooky shit lately?

Paranormal phenomena don't exist, just because the people who believe in them often happen to be a touch crazy.

It's because that, whenever people making paranormal claims have had their claims subjected to scrutiny, under controlled conditions, the claims have always been exposed as false. In the worst cases the claim-makers have been exposed as deceptive, as is the case with cold readers who claim they have psychic powers.

Believing in things after the evidence which shows they are true has been collected is responsible. Imagine if someone had decided that the earth was a cube, and nobody had requested proof.

There is so much wrong with that but tonight I just don't care enough to point it all out :T
But I am bored since my dinner is still in the oven so here goes!
As for the gravity part, theories describe scientific facts. That's how the word is defined.

And about disproving ghosts and souls, that is not possible. You can't prove a negative! If you believe in it then you have to prove that it does exist. It's called burden of proof. So of course there is no evidence that souls don't exist. But more importantly, there no evidence at all that they do exist.

Also, no I haven't. Because my life is boring and because I have nerves of steel.

Eh, proving a negative is sometimes possible. It is certainly possible to show that people who claim they have reliable psychometric powers don't really have powers.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
Paranormal phenomena don't exist, just because the people who believe in them often happen to be a touch crazy.

It's because that, whenever people making paranormal claims have had their claims subjected to scrutiny, under controlled conditions, the claims have always been exposed as false. In the worst cases the claim-makers have been exposed as deceptive, as is the case with cold readers who claim they have psychic powers.

Believing in things after the evidence which shows they are true has been collected is responsible. Imagine if someone had decided that the earth was a cube, and nobody had requested proof.

Alright.

Cool.

Peachy.

Wunderbar.

You're right.

Yaaaay. Congrats.

Feel any better? Good.

Everyone, this thread is no longer about spooky shit. It's about thinking about all of the unexplained shit you've ever had happen to you and finding completely acceptable scientific answers for them. Because it's the responsible thing to do, and we're totally not here to even speak hypothetically for the sake of fun because that is just totally irresponsible and immature.

Distorted

A little girl called out the name of my brother and me once. She looked to be about 4, and we never saw her before. She had no way of knowing our names, but said so anyway and waved bye-bye to us.

I would also have dreams of things that would happen years later. And then when it happened I would get that deja vu feeling. I had met my friend in my dream before I even knew who he was. It was almost like a premonition.

jtrekkie

Feathered
Time is T+ 39:01, 02, 03, 04...

Spooky stuff isn't fun for me. That's what the point of halloween was, you know. To mock death.

I would also have dreams of things that would happen years later. And then when it happened I would get that deja vu feeling.

That happens to me.

Fallowfox

Alright.

Cool.

Peachy.

Wunderbar.

You're right.

Yaaaay. Congrats.

Feel any better? Good.

Everyone, this thread is no longer about spooky shit. It's about thinking about all of the unexplained shit you've ever had happen to you and finding completely acceptable scientific answers for them. Because it's the responsible thing to do, and we're totally not here to even speak hypothetically for the sake of fun because that is just totally irresponsible and immature.

I would have thought people would be interested to find out the cause of spooky events? It's an interesting mystery to solve, sometimes.

Too often, though, people's experiences have boring explanations, because they are products of high-school physics that most of you are already familiar with. Thinks like low-mass objects moving around in air currents.

Things like this are quite interesting:

[video=youtube;FHi6LjKuNl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHi6LjKuNl4[/video]

jtrekkie

Feathered
OK, here's two. Marfa lights, and Taos hum. (I think there is a similar phenomonon in England to the Taos hum, but I don't know.) There is a reasonable explination for the Marfa lights.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
I would have thought people would be interested to find out the cause of spooky events? It's an interesting mystery to solve, sometimes.
Too often, though, people's experiences have boring explanations, because they are products of high-school physics that most of you are already familiar with. Thinks like low-mass objects moving around in air currents.
Things like this are quite interesting:
[video=youtube;FHi6LjKuNl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHi6LjKuNl4[/video]

The closest thing I can even remotely relate to your explanations is something akin to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJxJRAxdFU

I'm just not on your level of knowledge of "high school physics" to apply it to specific scenarios that people talk about or film (like with the brick video---hardly a light object).

But it'd be stupid of me to say "you're wrong" just because I don't understand. And then it'd make every condescending note in your argument just ring that much louder. "simple explanation" "high school physics" "it's only this-and-that". That's why people get testy when someone comes in and starts providing explanation when they were just describing experiences along lines of thought that follow fantasy. Like we can't just talk about it without putting a asterisk with an explanation at the bottom of every comment going *There is probably a logically founded explanation of this and this should be taken as a complete balderdash and complete flight of the imagination. Any attempts to actually believe and dedicate to the idea that it has something to do with spirits are foolish and are naysayers of science.

The fact was, no. We weren't hear to discuss or provide explanation behind our experiences. As dumb as that sounds, we were here just for the spirit of discussing the supernatural. (No pun intended).

-sigh-

But I digress. Talking about ghosts is never fun on the internet, where everything has to be right and perfectly logical. I'll save my shit for the campfire. SO, instead, I checked out your video, which is probably a thousand times more interesting than personal anecdotes, I guess. I remember finding that video a while back and being pretty weirded out over it. Also, a surprisingly large amount of videos of strange sound like that. Almost sounds like... creaking, of some sorts. Like the earth is bending or moaning. Geological explanations are the only things I can think of. Tectonic plates grinding together and whatnot.

Most definitely not Cthulu. :U

Last edited:

jtrekkie

Feathered
When I was small my bother an I saw the sillhouette of a child moving on the ceiling. I remember it very distinctly, I also remember that the room was too bright for shadows and I didn't understand the concept of ghosts at that time. It did not scare me but it did scare my brother, who is older. I'm also taking this opportunity to point out once again that I don't beleive in ghosts.

Fallowfox

The closest thing I can even remotely relate to your explanations is something akin to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odJxJRAxdFU

I'm just not on your level of knowledge of "high school physics" to apply it to specific scenarios that people talk about or film (like with the brick video---hardly a light object).

But it'd be stupid of me to say "you're wrong" just because I don't understand. And then it'd make every condescending note in your argument just ring that much louder. "simple explanation" "high school physics" "it's only this-and-that". That's why people get testy when someone comes in and starts providing explanation when they were just describing experiences along lines of thought that follow fantasy. Like we can't just talk about it without putting a asterisk with an explanation at the bottom of every comment going *There is probably a logically founded explanation of this and this should be taken as a complete balderdash and complete flight of the imagination. Any attempts to actually believe and dedicate to the idea that it has something to do with spirits are foolish and are naysayers of science.

The fact was, no. We weren't hear to discuss or provide explanation behind our experiences. As dumb as that sounds, we were here just for the spirit of discussing the supernatural. (No pun intended).

-sigh-

But I digress. Talking about ghosts is never fun on the internet, where everything has to be right and perfectly logical. I'll save my shit for the campfire. SO, instead, I checked out your video, which is probably a thousand times more interesting than personal anecdotes, I guess. I remember finding that video a while back and being pretty weirded out over it. Also, a surprisingly large amount of videos of strange sound like that. Almost sounds like... creaking, of some sorts. Like the earth is bending or moaning. Geological explanations are the only things I can think of. Tectonic plates grinding together and whatnot.

Most definitely not Cthulu. :U

To my knowledge The 'creaking sound' videos are currently best explained as the product of an abrupt change in conditions, over head in the atmosphere. This abrupt change acts as a sonic reflector, bouncing noises- such as the whirr of machinery- over long distances and focusing them on some poor town. After their long journey the low-pitch sound waves are the only remaining waves which have not been absorbed, meaning that traffic noise becomes a ghostly groan.

You can already see people in the comments claiming it is related to chemtrails and government conspiracies, though!

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
I'm sort of relieved OP is at least somewhat aware it's all in his head.

Worst thing is when people start taking their delusions seriously.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
You guys must be fun around campfires.

I'm all for proving things using science, but how does one prove the instances I mentioned, in my previous post, of a family curse and haunted villa as false? I'd be happy knowing the stories I know are fabricated, but considering my mom quit her job on that very day when she heard the voices and laughter, I'm inclined to believe it. We weren't exactly in the best financial position for her to drop a job like the way she did.

Also, I'd like to mention the Yem Town Hall photo was proven false about four years ago. If you don't already know, it's a photo showing the town hall burning down, and you can see a ghostly figure of a girl inside the burning building. I bring this up because this photo raised one hell of a media storm in the mid-to-late 90's, and up until recently, it was considered proof of the existence of ghosts. Weeeeell, there goes the "proof." I also find the paranormal fascinating, but most of it can be explained like Fallowfox has been saying.

Other things... not so easy to explain. Cryptids come to mind.

Fallowfox

I'm all for proving things using science, but how does one prove the instances I mentioned, in my previous post, of a family curse and haunted villa as false? I'd be happy knowing the stories I know are fabricated, but considering my mom quit her job on that very day when she heard the voices and laughter, I'm inclined to believe it. We weren't exactly in the best financial position for her to drop a job like the way she did.

Also, I'd like to mention the Yem Town Hall photo was proven false about four years ago. If you don't already know, it's a photo showing the town hall burning down, and you can see a ghostly figure of a girl inside the burning building. I bring this up because this photo raised one hell of a media storm in the mid-to-late 90's, and up until recently, it was considered proof of the existence of ghosts. Weeeeell, there goes the "proof." I also find the paranormal fascinating, but most of it can be explained like Fallowfox has been saying.

In a radio-station in Melbourne, Australia, a woman developed breast cancer. The next year another woman developed breast cancer, and so on for 10 years until the station was abandoned. How could scientists not recognise that the radio waves were causing the cancers? Why were they covering this up?
Because it's a Texas sharp-shooter fallacy. Until all the other radio stations, in which no more than an average number of women developed breast cancer, are considered it appears that radio waves are associated with cancer. When more examples are considered, it becomes apparent there never was a trend.

It's the same with women having bad marriages. About 50% of marriages turn bad, so there will be a great number of families in which no woman in living memory has had a happy marriage. Many will attribute this to fate, but it could just be a texas sharp-shooter fallacy.

A woman hearing voices of children on a walkie-talkie is considerably more likely to result from children, using another walkie-talkie that happens to be on the same frequency, in the vicinity, or who have stolen a walkie-talkie from the staff and are playing with it, than...dead spirits of children coming back to earth with the power to communicate with radiowaves...like, how the fuck is that a serious suggestion?

Nikolinni

Niko Linni

You guys should know better than to post things unscientific here. It'll eventually be found out and disproven. Naive fool! Musings of a spiritual nature are not allowed! You cannot prove them!

Fiab

Crazy enough
Whenever something weird happens, I'm all for finding an answer to how it happened. There is just one time I haven't been able to figure out.

When I was about 15, I had a couple friends stay the night. Both had brought their laptops and we'd just been playin games all night in the living room. My old place's first floor layout was a U shape, with the foyer at the end, living room linking from that and to the dining room, and then the kitchen. Only light that was on at the time was the kitchen light and a small lamp in a blocked corner in the Foyer (the room was L shaped), so there wasn't much light and having the laptop screens against all the dark kind of blinded them when it came to looking elsewhere. I stop playin for a bit to go into the kitchen and make some food, leavin them on the couch, which faces the dining room. My dog follows me into the kitchen cause he's the mooch he is. Little bit later I hear my friend call me back into the living. So I walk back with grilled cheese in hand and the dog following me, and they asked me if my dog was with me in the kitchen. Told em he was and they said they heard a dog walking in the dining room, through the living room and the foyer and up the stairs with the floor and stairs creaking (wooden floors). I had lost my old 13 year old dog January of that year.

Only thing I can't figure a way to explain, because both of them had heard it. I'm in the whole grey area of believing in it or not. I can understand how the brain "sees what it wants to see", and how impressionable it is and how it can make stuff up, but also I know that one of the things I love about science is that there is still a whole hell of a lot of stuff to discover. The whole "Conservation of Energy" in physics kind of leaves a lot open (Forgive me if I misremembered this one, been a long while since I've actually read anything physics heavy). There is still too much to learn to completely rule anything out, just gotta avoid seeing what isn't there.

Campfire + Scary stories = Best. Far too long since I've actually done this and it's actually kind of saddening :c.

1000bluntz

mark ass trick
I've yet to have one myself and I've heard some dumb exaggerated stories but I don't judge people who claim to have had them and I choose to remain open minded. Of course this thread probably filled with high and mighty fedora heads who are eager to 'debunk' any phenomenon that happens outside of the scientific paradigm.

edit: Oh look I was right. I encourage people to still post their experiences, I enjoy reading them.

Last edited:
I've yet to have one myself and I've heard some dumb exaggerated stories but I don't judge people who claim to have had them and I choose to remain open minded. Of course this thread probably filled with high and mighty fedora heads who are eager to 'debunk' any phenomenon that happens outside of the scientific paradigm.

edit: Oh look I was right. I encourage people to still post their experiences, I enjoy reading them.

Just because I don't believe in magic doesn't mean I somehow can't enjoy stories about it.
Scary stories/movies/places are fun, but taking anecdotes about "a weird shadow" as proof of spirits is bizzare.

Open minded =/= assuming anything unknown is a certain paranormal being.

Belief in magic has killed people. People have murdered their children, because they were "possessed by demons".

Last edited:

1000bluntz

mark ass trick
Belief in magic has killed people. People have murdered their children, because they were "possessed by demons".

That was the state working with the church to perpetuate fear and hatred of witches and shit, can't blame that on the belief in magic entirely. What the fuck are you even trying to argue right now ? So if I happen to experience something I can't explain and want to share it in this thread, I'm contributing to the murder of children ?

Jesus christ, the OP asked if anyone had any experiences to share. He didn't ask whether or not you believe in ghosts but you guys saw this thread and saw the perfect opportunity to flex your little e-peens. So egotistical and narcissistic, threads like this are where you build your shrines dedicated to worshiping your egos.

Last edited:
Dude, sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or imply you are supporting anything bad. ><

I guess I've been so fed up with being drowned under a sea of people supporting sometimes harmful mindsets that I try and speak (what I see) as sense where people will actually discuss it. Try talking about these things in IRL!

1000bluntz

mark ass trick
Sorry, I was more specifically referring to FallowFox but directing it towards you. I'm passive aggressive like dat.

Last edited: