• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Paranormal Occurences

No harm done!

Okay, on topic:

I've only heard a few stories of ghost animals (and they're usually scary dogs), does anyone have one?
There's a short story about a couple of guys in the desert who see the spirits of ancient fish that lived there while it was underwater. That's pretty cool.

Kleric

I would also have dreams of things that would happen years later. And then when it happened I would get that deja vu feeling. I had met my friend in my dream before I even knew who he was. It was almost like a premonition.

This happens to me too.
Some days I'll just be so positive that I've been a specific position and surroundings before with the same exact feeling, usually remembering it from a dream.

I was told an older lady died in the upstairs computer room of my old house; however I dismissed it for the longest time until the ghost started opening and closing the closet doors all night long when I would work on my homework, which continued for about four or five months. My cat would also sit on the floor in the room and stare at the walls/ceiling and talk to the ghost; I always assumed she was chasing shadows until I witnessed her doing it in the middle of the night when all the lights were off.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I've yet to have one myself and I've heard some dumb exaggerated stories but I don't judge people who claim to have had them and I choose to remain open minded. Of course this thread probably filled with high and mighty fedora heads who are eager to 'debunk' any phenomenon that happens outside of the scientific paradigm.

edit: Oh look I was right. I encourage people to still post their experiences, I enjoy reading them.

Highlighting simple and well known physical mechanisms, which produce eery effects, is 'high and mighty', but claiming that the dead come back to life, so that they can pester you- as if you are at the centre of all existence is...what, humble? It's asinine.

Why can't we consider our spooky experiences for the fact they are interesting experiences, without adding ghouls and goblins?

Kleric

Highlighting simple and well known physical mechanisms, which produce eery effects, is 'high and mighty', but claiming that the dead come back to life, so that they can pester you- as if you are at the centre of all existence is...what, humble? It's asinine.

Why can't we consider our spooky experiences for the fact they are interesting experiences, without adding ghouls and goblins?

Because maybe it's more comforting to at least convince oneself they have an answer, than to have it be a mystery the rest of their life.
The unknown can be quite intimidating, but as I do try to have an open mind, I will simply accept these experiences as just that, Unknown.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend

Fallow, you strike me as the type of person who explains to small children that Santa Claus isn't real because its unscientific. Why can't people just have silly fun ghost stories without having to dissect it down to its base component parts in the name of science. Unclench your anus a little and just roll with it for the fun of the experience. Use your imagination. C:

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
Fallow, you strike me as the type of person who explains to small children that Santa Claus isn't real because its unscientific. Why can't people just have silly fun ghost stories without having to dissect it down to its base component parts in the name of science. Unclench your anus a little and just roll with it for the fun of the experience. Use your imagination. C:

Because these ghost stories are why we have ISIS rampaging in the middle east right now? Whether it's ghosts or some other, bigger "paranormal" nonsense, it's all the same. It's people deluding themselves and accepting random crap as fact just to have an answer. It's dangerous.

GarthTheWereWolf

Captious Lycanthrope of Forum Legend
Because these ghost stories are why we have ISIS rampaging in the middle east right now? Whether it's ghosts or some other, bigger "paranormal" nonsense, it's all the same. It's people deluding themselves and accepting random crap as fact just to have an answer. It's dangerous.

Telling ghost stories about weird unexplained events people have experienced for fun on an internet forum =/= religious zealot terrorists killing people in the middle east.

Lets not turn this thread into a religious debate one please?

lupinealchemist

Hamburger time.
Paranormal stuff may be unexplainable or false, but I at least do believe in mind over matter and chi.

jtrekkie

Feathered
Yeah so about those rabbits. I am really hoping it was just a deranged specter.

Just to be on the safe side, does anyone know if buckshot is any good for phantoms, or should I call ghostbusters?

S

Selachi

Alright i'm usually a pretty skeptical guy, but this thread reminded me of one incident in my life that I can't really explain and legitimately creeps me out when I think about it. I used to have this oddly specific reoccurring dream in elementary school that involved my grandfather driving me down this heavily wooded highway and pointing out this old derelict brick structure out in a field. As we drove by, each time he would mention to me that it was an abandoned gunpowder mill from the 1800s, and then I would wake up. It was so weird and specific, and I could never make sense of it. In late middle school, my family was driving to this 4th of July fireworks show that was taking place in the next town to our northeast. We took a back route that we never usually take and it started feeling and looking very similar to the setting from my reoccurring dream. We reached a clearing and on my right was the EXACT same building from my reoccurring dream, without a shadow of a doubt, setting and all. It freaked me out pretty bad, but by the time we met up with my extended family at the park where the fireworks were I had calmed down a bit. I found my grandfather and asked him if he knew anything about the old brick building that we passed on the way, and of course he tells me its an abandoned gunpowder mill from the 1800s. Haven't had the dream since then, but I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

I recently have done a bit of research on the building, and it turns out that it was the site of several major explosions that resulted in major damage and fatalities, most notably in 1886 (damaged structures and windows in towns miles away), with lesser but still deadly explosions occurring in the 1920s. The building is in a tiny hamlet called Goes Station, OH. You can probably find it on google maps if you want to see it yourself.

Nikolinni

Niko Linni

Yeah but as others pointed out, this was just supposed to be a fun little thread. It's true that religion and spirituality cause people to kill each other. Yes, we all know that song and dance. But that wasn't the point. It was just to share some odd, obscure little stories. And if people believe in ghosts, fuck, let them! This thread wasn't intended to become a battle ground for the validity of these occurrences. And if you start to bring up religion, then just go make your own little ranty topic about religion, because that wasn't the point either.

bluntz' remark was mainly aimed at Fallow and others who like to pounce into ANY thread involving anything "unscientific" and start spouting their rhetoric. Can you IMAGE the outrage there'd be if someone started an atheist thread and I came in preaching the Good News of Jesus? There'd be an outrage! A scandal! So perhaps you can show juuuuuuuuuust a little bit of courtesy and let people have their spooky fun. People like to muse on things, that's just how it is. Not everyone subscribes to what seems like beliefs straight out of logical positivism.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Who's to say we're not having fun disproving stuff?

We're all having fun!

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored

Holy shit I have never read such an outlandish and hyperbolic comparison in my life. I'm not religious myself, but fyi the people who use religion and violence to justify killing are doing exactly that---merely justifying. When people like ISIS and WBC get disowned by the rest of the rest of the culture that follow that same the same religion because they ignore all the peace an love shit, it becomes apparent that it's not really about religion but about shitty people scrambling for reasons to keep being shitty.

I mean--honestly? Every food drive, donation bank, and well put together family assistance program I've come across have been religiously run. Now, I'm not denying the existence of Atheistic run community support programs (even though I've never personally seen one) but it's outright vindictive generalization to assume religion is responsible for every shifty thing ever. Hell, Hitler wanted Nazism to be based on science, not faith, and sought to reduce Christianity influence on the German people and world as a whole. But I don't go around calling atheists Nazis. And the ones that do? They come off as religious zealots, just as comparing believing in the supernatural to terrorism comes off as being an Atheistic zealot. Which is very ironic.

And then atheists wonder why the majority of the population wants to classify them as a religion. Lol.

But yeah.

Ghosts n stuff.
That's a good deadmau5 song.

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
Holy shit I have never read such an outlandish and hyperbolic comparison in my life. I'm not religious myself, but fyi the people who use religion and violence to justify killing are doing exactly that---merely justifying. When people like ISIS and WBC get disowned by the rest of the rest of the culture that follow that same the same religion because they ignore all the peace an love shit, it becomes apparent that it's not really about religion but about shitty people scrambling for reasons to keep being shitty.

I mean--honestly? Every food drive, donation bank, and well put together family assistance program I've come across have been religiously run. Now, I'm not denying the existence of Atheistic run community support programs (even though I've never personally seen one) but it's outright vindictive generalization to assume religion is responsible for every shifty thing ever. Hell, Hitler wanted Nazism to be based on science, not faith, and sought to reduce Christianity influence on the German people and world as a whole. But I don't go around calling atheists Nazis. And the ones that do? They come off as religious zealots, just as comparing believing in the supernatural to terrorism comes off as being an Atheistic zealot. Which is very ironic.

And then atheists wonder why the majority of the population wants to classify them as a religion. Lol.

But yeah.

Ghosts n stuff.

The irony of becoming what you want to destroy. I see it everywhere. And the disturbing thing is that people will justify this transformation as "good" or "necessary".

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
A hardcore atheist is hardly as bad as a hardcore religious person. I don't see how an atheist can become what he hates.

'Til the day we can legally behead people of faith :v

Distorted

Ghosts n stuff.

I especially enjoy the one with Rob Swire. His voice is sexy.

And all I really wanted for this thread was to share creepy stories. I can appreciate the explanations behind the occurrences but then it kinda ruins the story when you do that. It's like inviting Mr. Peabody to church. It just takes the fun out of it, y'know. Unless your fun is disproving silly folk tales and the paranormal. Then that's fine too I guess.

Nikolinni

Niko Linni
A hardcore atheist is hardly as bad as a hardcore religious person. I don't see how an atheist can become what he hates.

'Til the day we can legally behead people of faith :v

It's much more than beheading people. It's accusing religion of being ignorant, hateful, intolerant, and a group of zealots, and then acting ignorant, hateful, intolerant, and like a group of zealots. I'm not saying people on here are acting exactly like that, but I've seen it. You don't have to become exactly like them. But exhibiting the same traits in religion, ah that's interesting to see. Especially when we're told that your side is the "better" side.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
Well this turned to shit. Suffice to say, I don't care if you get a kick out of playing pretend about ghosts, but if you actually claim that an air current shows ghosts exist, then I'm going to dispute that, because it's retarded.

On the internet, because of poe's law, it is not possible to tell which is which.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
Well this turned to shit. Suffice to say, I don't care if you get a kick out of playing pretend about ghosts, but if you actually claim that an air current shows ghosts exist, then I'm going to dispute that, because it's retarded.

On the internet, because of poe's law, it is not possible to tell which is which.

I'll be honest I really thought your video of that crazy sound in Alaska was super cool. And the idea of it being sound refraction of a highway actually pretty left. I mean, more realistic than Cthulhu, which is just as equally fun to imagine, but I will admit is fictional.

jtrekkie

Feathered
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious claim of internetter lore—

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,

As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

“’Tis some troll,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—

Only this and nothing more.”

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?

I get the feeling you keep referring to me, Fallow, because I said something regarding a balloon.