• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Paranormal Occurences

jtrekkie

Feathered
Poe is awesome. He was edgy before edgy was cool.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
What are your guys' thoughts on cryptids, like the Chupacabra and Jersey Devil? Ghosts are cool and all, but cryptids need more attention!

He goes by Nightpain these days.

I think mangey-bedraggled coyotes are a decent enough explanation for the chupacabra.

What gets me are the massive scaled noises they record in the ocean. Most of them are explained as seismic activity, which is believable. On the other hand, if there's going to be on place on earth where terrifying and ancient horrors are still hanging out undisturbed, the depths of the still mostly unexplored ocean would be where.

Kaedal

Punny User Title
What are your guys' thoughts on cryptids, like the Chupacabra and Jersey Devil? Ghosts are cool and all, but cryptids need more attention!
I'm fascinated by the idea. I'm far from convinced there are red eyed lizardmen who scratch up cars in protest of vehicle taxes, but sometimes the truth about cryptids can be more bizarre than the legend. Sea monsters turning out to be giant versions of well known species, diseased animals appearing as monstrous predators, and so on.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I get the feeling you keep referring to me, Fallow, because I said something regarding a balloon.

I actually have some mainsiters in mind, who interpreted a paper cup falling over, and some leaves moving 'by themselves' as evidence for ghostly intervention.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
I actually have some mainsiters in mind, who interpreted a paper cup falling over, and some leaves moving 'by themselves' as evidence for ghostly intervention.
Ah, gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

~Jester

The Mad Katter
About four years ago I drove out to a lake near where I live just to relax after work. I was sitting there next to the water just watching the waves lick the shore when I looked up and saw what I thought was a bright star. The thing is it was still complete daylight out and the sun was just about to go behind the mountain. So I'm watching this bright completely stationary "star" for about 3 minutes or so thinking "wtf it's way to bright out to be seeing stars". Then I start to think "this isn't a star, it's something else" and as soon as I had that thought it zips behind the mountain at lightening speed... I was completely elated after seeing this to the point of going out to the same spot for months hoping to see it again. There is nothing in this world "as we know it" that can explain what I saw that evening.

SparkyWolf

I don't call this stuff "Conclusively Paranormal" but it's certainly bizarre.

A couple years ago I was in the guest bedroom at my Gramps' house late at night when I was having one of those "I can't sleep for the life of me" kind of nights. The door to all of the rooms in the house (Which is over 100 years old) are solid wood and very heavy, and it sounded like someone came up to the door, grabbed the handle and violently shook the door. I quickly got up from the bed and opened the door and there was nobody there. I don't think it was the wind or air currents because it was winter time and in Minnesota we always have are windows closed.

At the same house I was outside in the driveway cleaning the lawnmower off. It was almost dark out and I had the light on. The light was on the garage (which is detached from the main house) and it can be turned off from the inside of the house. All of a sudden, the light turned off and I was left in the dark, I looked up at the back door where the switch is and concealed behind the curtains on the door I saw a Man's shadow. At the time I thought it was Gramps and got up to ask him to turn the light back on but found that he was in the basement fixing a chair. I asked him if he turned the light off and he told me that he was in the basement the whole time. There was nobody else in the house that could have done this. I truly can't explain what happened. It is most definitely disturbing and creepy.

If anyone can explain these happenings I would love to hear the theories! :)

SparkyWolf

Wow, That is some REALLY good evidence lol

Mauve

Never. The closest things I've had to "paranormal experiences" were episodes of sleep paralysis. Even then, I quickly found out that it's simply a ****ed up trick that your brain causes.

Phyllostachys

Feigning intelligence
Nope. I don't believe those kinds of things. I think people believe such things because of agent detection, a cognitive module that causes animals to presume presence of an agent with purpose behind phenomena that may involve one or not. While it would have been useful for Stone Age men wandering alone in wild to avoid predation, I think it causes more silliness in modern world.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
Oh yeah, I almost forgot this.

My mum charms warts. This actually works. When I was younger, I had a huge ass verruca right on the ball of my foot, it hurt so bad to walk on. The treatments that we tried never worked, it was like a huge ass volcano on my foot that kept bleeding. my mum did the wart charming, and a week later, it was totally gone.

Nowadays, I have only to ask her to do it, if i have any skin tags, and they fall off before she's even done anything to them!

Fallowfox

About four years ago I drove out to a lake near where I live just to relax after work. I was sitting there next to the water just watching the waves lick the shore when I looked up and saw what I thought was a bright star. The thing is it was still complete daylight out and the sun was just about to go behind the mountain. So I'm watching this bright completely stationary "star" for about 3 minutes or so thinking "wtf it's way to bright out to be seeing stars". Then I start to think "this isn't a star, it's something else" and as soon as I had that thought it zips behind the mountain at lightening speed... I was completely elated after seeing this to the point of going out to the same spot for months hoping to see it again. There is nothing in this world "as we know it" that can explain what I saw that evening.

You're right. Nothing in this world. Which is why it was a meteorite being refracted and burned by the atmosphere.

They manifest as bright dots, which get brighter and then turn into fast moving streaks.

I mean come on people.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this.

My mum charms warts. This actually works. When I was younger, I had a huge ass verruca right on the ball of my foot, it hurt so bad to walk on. The treatments that we tried never worked, it was like a huge ass volcano on my foot that kept bleeding. my mum did the wart charming, and a week later, it was totally gone.

Nowadays, I have only to ask her to do it, if i have any skin tags, and they fall off before she's even done anything to them!

In which case she should open a dermatology clinic.

Human Plantar warts often go into remission by themselves in Children, and are almost always self-contained anyway.

Excision is the only method I know of, which is known to work.

Last edited:

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
Oh I had had that thing for so many months.

Whether there is any scientific reason for it or not, I do believe it works for me, and if I have any skin complaints like that, I will get my mum to charm them off.

sniperfreak223

More Metal Than You !!!
I go creeping a lot, and as much as I *want* to believe this stuff, the evidence I collected just isn't conclusive enough to overcome my logical thought process. Light anomalies at Pennhurst, light and audio anomalies at West Mountain Sanitarium, technical difficulties and camera and audio glitches in Gettysburg, and one really strange camera issue at an old cemetery, but that's about it for physical, concrete evidence, and I can't really put much value on personal experiences because they could simply be psychosomatic because of the general "creepy" nature of places like abandoned buildings, cemeteries and battlefields.

Fallowfox

Some research on the spookies was recently published in the Journal 'Biology'. http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(14)01212-3

Any of you at University should be able to access the paper's full text, but the summary is interesting by itself.

The Researchers described people's spooky experiences, of feeling a 'presence', and managed to causally connect these feelings to lesions in the brain. The researchers then replicated the suggested mechanism, an over interpretation of tactile information, with the use of a robot that took the inputted tactile information a subject was supplying, and applied it to the subject's back. This caused subjects to feel like they were in the presence of another human or moving out of their own bodies, in controlled conditions.

Like an optical illusion, but tactile.

I hope that sheds some light on the usually cryptic claims of people who believe in ghosts, that they 'felt a presence'. It's caused by brain lesions.

Most of the subjects appeared to have epilepsy, and their lesions were identified with MRI. I recently had an MRI looking for a cortical displacure. If they find one, I will likely be diagnosed with epilepsy.
Perhaps I'll experience these ghostly feelings too, at some point.

RedSavage

Rattlesnake Flavored
-Sighs-

This thread was never meant to debate the cause/explanation of supernatural and paranormal activity. Yeah---sure okay. I'll admit it. You're right, Fallow. It's all brain lesions, personal paranoias, temporary air pockets, whatever. Okay, everyone else who thinks it's all shit. You're right. There's a scientific explanation for every creepy thing ever. All the practical people coming up to the podium labeled "Share your experience" only to cough and firmly shout, "SHIT AIN'T REAL, YO." You're exactly, precisely right.

But this thread was just about shooting the shit about creepy experiences. That's all. But practical-grounded folk just couldn't let that stand, could y'all? Y'all to be right. And had to make sure everybody else knows the right answer. Talk everyone out of feeling creeped out or imagining anything less than scientific because---because it's practical? Because it's the responsible and right thing to do? Because it's fun for you all to discuss real life science and semantics? I'm certain it is fun for you types. Science is some crazy shit. I love hearing scientific explanations--when I'm asking or looking for them. Not when I'm imagining creepy events for the sake of imagination or sheer boredom.

I'm certain everyone who shared their paranormal experiences here feels the same way too. We're not all anti-sciences plebs. But... we just wanted to have fun sharing ghost stories.

But it couldn't be left alone. No one can have THEIR fun because it's SILLY and SUPERSTITIOUS and people can't even pretend to believe in spooky stuff for the sake of the campfire. But because it's not the real answer, it can't stand.

So, thanks for blowing the wind out of everybody's sails and making this thread about YOUR science fun. Which is good and all. I mean, brain lesions. Yeah that's a pretty cool theory--biologically speaking it's ten times more fascinating than Aunt Marge coming back to life to wash the dirty dishes in the sink. But if it was that big of a deal, why wasn't another thread made to discuss the possibility? Why everyone have to come in and shit on everyone else's fun? You'll get all haughty and, "BUT-BUT GUFFAW! You're throwing this back on ME simply because I'm merely theorizing on everyone's experiences? You'd rather go on about so obviously FAKE and EXPLAINABLE experiences in willing ignorance for the sake of fun? "

And basically--yeah. That's basically the gist of it. Everyone here was allowed to have their fun time talking about shit except the SCIENCE PEOPLE who rolled their eyes at everyone who tried to say otherwise, and then acted offended when it said it wasn't wanted here. It goes without saying that y'all are right. Do you really need it justified by people around the proverbial campfire to feel good about it? Is this like--where we all watch Blair Witch and go on about how it's obviously fake? Or point out how all the actors from Cannibal Holocaust are all still very much alive and all the footage was manufactured?

I suppose default explanation is, "WELL THIS IS FAF. WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?"

And shit. I guess in that light, I'm speaking redundancy. Of course, nothing fun is allowed without FAF's Stamp of Practicality and Groundedness. All the original folk or ever brushed on their experience in this thread have long since abandoned it for fear of being "scienced to death" and now this is one big Scientific Explanation circle jerk.

I love science. It's cool. It's what's real. It's what's provable. But this was the most trite shit I've ever seen. I'd akin this to an atheist jumping into a discussion about the Bible just to remind everyone GOD ISN'T REAL, THERE'S NO EVIDENCE OF MIRACLES, AND THAT'S AN OLD SHITTY BOOK, while everyone is going, "Dude, chill. We're not even like, talking about God being real. We're just talking the ideas and lessons expressed in the book of--""GOD AIN'T REAL SO YOU'RE BOOK AIN'T REAL SO QUIT Y'ALL'S SHIT, YO."

Carry on with your endless beating of the dead horse that is the fact that supernatural stuff ain't real~

NerdyMunk

Only a Book Smart Nerd
People like to jump ahead to conclusions, thinking UFOs are E.T., when UFOs are exactly that - unidentified - human-related or not. Same thing goes for shadow figures - some say they are demons but we still can't be too sure of that all the time.