• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

PC Gaming: Better or Worse than a console?

WolfTechnology

Beginner Artist
Well, post your opinion below.

I enjoy PC gaming because the interface doesn't just include what's on your screen, but also your keyboard. Mice are much more responsive than analog sticks, and you can make your graphics better/worse for optimum performance. Also, you don't need a microphone to communicate online! Instead of plugging in a mic to express your dissatisfaction at a hacker, you can type: 101 H4x0r!

Oh yeah, you can play music in the backround while playing too... perhaps my favorite part! Hearing the death-scream of my enemy while head-banging to Unearth.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
you should have made some prior research, son^^

I enjoy PC gaming because the interface doesn't just include what's on your screen, but also your keyboard.

that works on consoles, too.

Mice are much more responsive than analog sticks

once you get used to sticks it works just as well!

and you can make your graphics better/worse for optimum performance.

why would i do that on a console? the game is designed to run at optimal performance on it, anyways.

Also, you don't need a microphone to communicate online! Instead of plugging in a mic to express your dissatisfaction at a hacker, you can type: 101 H4x0r!

consoles have virtual and real keyboards, too. you can either bring up a menu or type on a keayboard that snaps on to your pad.
also, why would i want to do such a terrible thing?

Oh yeah, you can play music in the backround while playing too... perhaps my favorite part! Hearing the death-scream of my enemy while head-banging to Unearth.

consoles can do that since the old xbox was released.

except for the controller and the ability to enjoy your games on a 5 billion inch TV screen there really is no difference between PC gaming and console gaming anymore...

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
Try harder, troll. :V

PATROL

Okay, concoles aren't all that bad. Actually you can do pretty much anything with them when it comes to home entertainment.

Although everything has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Computer's gaming days are counted before it's outdated and needs expensive upgrades. But on the other hand computer can offer you better graphic experience and not to mention piracy (i know consoles can handle pirated games but tell that to the next xbox ban wave).

I preffer PC. Mostly because of mouse sensitivity. I play mostly action games and there are countless times when you need to turn around 180 degrees as fast as possible. Joystick just won't allow you to do it with the same speed. And piracy ofcourse.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
PC do have more options when playing a game. It a nice thing since some people need to have some things set lower or higher.
For the most part I go console. It has more games I want and like.
Tho some pc exclusives are great.

Tho if you have the pc for it games on it do look better.
I am not in it for the graphics alone tho.

Superscooter143

QualityGamer
I'm surprised no one just said PC is superior and left it at that.

Also CaptainCool, you just need a good video card to enable HDMI output to a TV. I use my Wii, PS3, and gaming rig all on that one TV.

Ibuuyk

Icon made by Littlerock!
Depends of the games. FPSes and RTSes are better on PCs, but I prefer consoles for RPGs and platformers.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Both. They need each other to live, really - PC's rely on consoles for a library of games, while consoles rely on PC's for their continued technological advancements. Without one or the other, the game industry would stagnate and crash.

Personally, I do believe that mice are more accurate and faster than sticks. I can whip around in a fraction of a second, accurately, with a mouse, while it will literally take even the most skilled player much longer to do the same. Mice are more accurate because they are an absolute pointing device, and you aren't fighting the constant motion of the sticks - There's a reason why many console games have aim assist, while PC games don't. If you take two gamers of fairly equal skill, one using sticks and one using the mouse, the mouser will have a distinct advantage because of this. Keep in mind that many Games For Windows Live games support using the X-Box 360 controller for control, but I can't say I know of anyone actually using the controller over the keyboard and mouse. It's a distinct disadvantage. However, that only really applies to first-person shooters; In third person games like GTA4, or in driving games, I much prefer a gamepad. In flight sims, I very much prefer a joystick. It greatly depends on the game which control scheme is more attractive.

@CaptainCool: As for games designed to work at optimal performance, I think you need to look at a few good examples of console games that don't run at a solid 60FPS. Left 4 Dead is an amazing example of a game that's been stripped down graphically, and yet still plays like total ass on the 360. Fable 2 has issues at times, as well, especially in areas with waterfalls - The frame rate slows to a crawl. Not that I think graphics options would help simply because the game is optimized as much as it is on a console, but the point is, on a PC, if this kind of thing happens, you more often than not can adjust settings or otherwise squeeze more performance out of it in various ways. You can also achieve a much, much higher quality in graphics for a similar frame rate than a console with even a budget gaming PC these days.

Also, PC's can output to a 5 billion inch TV screen, too - And with a decent video card, actually take advantage of its resolution, rather than scaling up to it from 720p like the PS3 (rare is the PS3 game that actually runs in 1080p) and 360 do.

The major advantage the consoles have over PC's is the accessibility and the consistency of the experience with services like PSN and X-Box Live. You don't have to deal with updating DirectX or your graphics drivers, you don't have to learn controls beyond the simplicity of the gamepad (which is actually quite complex compared to days of yore), and it's generally just easier to get into. There isn't really a major cost difference between a decent video card and a console, but there's still the illusion that gaming PC's are multi-thousand-dollar behemoths, which makes consoles seem more attractive. Consoles do crash, just as PC's do, and getting them up and running again can cost a lot more than a pizza and an evening with a techie friend, seeing as consoles aren't exactly user-repairable for the most part.

EDIT: @PATROL, you aren't seriously saying that piracy is a good thing, are you? Also, consoles require "upgrades", too - Each generation of console is phased out entirely after several years. Current PC's are entirely capable of outdoing any of the consoles available right now, and could continue to do so for a good while. The X-Box 360 and PS3 represent high-end PC's at around the time of their release, and to replicate their abilities, even just a modest rig (well under $1000 total, MAYBE $200 for a video card for a recent machine) will work just fine. Especially considering the case of Left 4 Dead, even the Low quality settings in most PC games are generally equal to that of the consoles, so realistically speaking, you could still be gaming on hardware released at the time of the 360's launch with about the same success. That said though, ports from consoles are generally quite lazily-optimized - Bad Company 2 is an amazing example of laziness, requiring a quad core CPU to even play smoothly.

Last edited:

Schwimmwagen

Definitely depends on the game.

Playing consolized games like COD or newer Battlefield games can be a bit depressing, but I dare you to play games like Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Arma and various RTS games on the console. Also, mods for games! And we get a fuckload of maps for games like Left 4 Dead!

Best part is, there's so much more shit you can do on a PC than a console. One of the things that make me laugh at consoles is the Live/PSN services. The Steam client is the best you can get.

NCollieboy

[Æ’cÆ’c] Sexy Fiberbomb
I use my xbox to play games that would rape my comp (bfbc2, metro 2033).
I also have a console to play exclusives that are for it, like halo and fable.
Also when it comes to fps's, Im just more used to playing them with an xbox controller than a keyboard and mouse.

Furlop

I'd like to point out that Microsoft once tried to make cross-platform multiplayer between PC and Xbox with Shadowrun. It never get out of testing phase because
“The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the Xbox team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative.”

FPS games are simply better on the PC. And ditto with any other game, too.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
oh no, we already had our shitstorm about PC vs Consoles for the month already

and again to the PS3 users of UT3 are using a mouse and Keyboard to play that game

Lapdog

Not the kind that sits on laps
Lets hope this doesn't go to a PS3 vs XBOX360 thing... I can't bear another.
However, on topic.
It all depends on: Game, Interface (Both console & PC), Ease of use, Graphics (Capabilities and overall look) and finally the Specs.

I'm not going into depth here.

R

RockTheFur

PC for the win! Mods, epic PC only games, ports from both PS3 and Xbox-360, torrents, BLAH BLAH BLAH.
I truly prefer PC gaming. It has a lot more features, and building a custom computer is really fun to do.

Xenke

What is nice about consoles?
  • The hardware is predetermined. For the most part, you don't have to worry if it meets system requirements, because it was developed specifically for that hardware.
  • Screen size: TVs are usually bigger than monitors in an average house.
  • It's more portable than a computer
  • Controllers: I fucking love them. Buttons are all clustered in the same, easy to get to locations, and are still easy to distinguish from each other. It's not like a keyboard clusterfuck with 50% of the keys doing nothing.
  • They last longer before needing to upgrade than computers do.

Don't get me wrong though, I like PC's better for somethings.

I just prefer console 4 times out of 5.

Oovie

Fabulous Secret Powers
I've got no reason to play consoles anymore, I frankly wish I could get my money back up to the N64 days. I could do without anything after that.

once you get used to sticks it works just as well!
Sticks aren't even near the same level as mice, I can't even imagine console and PC players playing together, it'd be a slaughter.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
I don't have the scratch to keep up with pc gaming (I always buy lower-end laptops) so I've always just used consoles for most things

also I run linux :I that makes running things harder, lol.

But I also appreciate a lot of aspects of PC gaming and know that one isn't necessarily better than the other. A lot of what Runefox said is what I think of the whole pc vs console thing.

Riley

Watch out for snakes!
oh no, we already had our shitstorm about PC vs Consoles for the month already

and again to the PS3 users of UT3 are using a mouse and Keyboard to play that game

UT3 was slowed down drastically compared to its predecessors to play on consoles, though. Consoles will never have the speed of gameplay present on a computer. The controller is just too clunky and imprecise to compare to a PC's ability of snap or twitch aiming and single-pixel aim adjustments.

I've got no reason to play consoles anymore, I frankly wish I could get my money back up to the N64 days. I could do without anything after that.

Sticks aren't even near the same level as mice, I can't even imagine console and PC players playing together, it'd be a slaughter.

I think there was a game that had the multiplayer for console and PC merged - it ended with the PC players always winning, and they eventually split the multiplayer to different platforms.

Last edited:

doublezingo

Man I'm totally fine with consoles and all that.
Up until this bloody 360/ps3 hogwash. I mean really, disabling features to keep the pirates? I guess they got the killswitch in their office for every game. Turns out a sony licensed game isn't following the full extent of the license? Watch as sony disables your PS3 from running that title.
It's kinda dumb having a third party deciding what goes on with YOUR hardware you know. I mean sure you could pull hairs apart saying the firmware, you're only using under a license and all that crap... but come on...

Atleast with windows you can turn off updates.
As far as just playing darn games, they're evenly matched but I tend to play computer games.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
UT3 was slowed down drastically compared to its predecessors to play on consoles, though. Consoles will never have the speed of gameplay present on a computer. The controller is just too clunky and imprecise to compare to a PC's ability of snap or twitch aiming and single-pixel aim adjustments.
but wasnt the PC version fixed back to how they usually do it for PC.

I think there was a game that had the multiplayer for console and PC merged - it ended with the PC players always winning, and they eventually split the multiplayer to different platforms.
there was, they then tried a match of: pro Consoles players vs casual/medicore PC players, the pc still dominated the console ones