• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Pepe le Pew's canceled, updated thoughts / WB girls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Pepe's still out for the most part, I did not expect all the fan backlash or the petitions to really work. I still stand by the idea that the better option would have been to change Pepe's whole makeup than to either delete him or to keep him all rapey and such, (chuck Jones daughter was with me on this idea)

Anyways reading some articles on it, it all naturally ties into Lola Bunny and the objectificaion of her body. With lost of arguments on both sides. Shouls she be sexy or not? Whats the narrative that we are trying to tell girls? so on so on. A lot of women writers made the point that Lola, being the only female in Space Jam and with her very sexy behavior and look, basically puts out the image that the one girl to look up to in the movie has to be the blonde bombshell. WB writers heard these complaints and reflexively went with the idea "ok make her less sexy", which then leads to the implication in my mind, that the way to humanize women is for them to be unattractive. So on...

But I have a counter to this. In fact Lola is not the ONLY girl in Looney Tunes. There is Penelope Pussycat! Penelope has been the female foil ofr Pepe, but now wether Pepe is canceled or is remade, she can basically come into her own now. Compaired to Lola, Penelope has a totally standard toon animal body just like Pepe. Shes not physically sexualized and she doesnt make any attempt to outwardly objectify herself. She has a much more reserved personality than Lola and basically i imagine that she could be used as a great alternative to play alongside Lola... again emphasizing that Penelope is liberated from being Pepe's amorous foil.

I think using Penelope would be a great solution to the Lola issue, women could have more than jsut ONE toon protagonist to try and see themselves in. Lola could be the commanding sexy character she started as and Penelope can be developed into another archetype of being feminine that people could see themselves in and know they have a place other than Lola's super sexy one. Shes a cute character.
Though I have the idea that the WB writers will be vacuous enough to totally miss out on this. Once agian focusing all their attention on Lola and 'what should we do about her'. And the canceling of Pepe, I would not be surprised if they also let Penelope disappear too, forget the invisible victim in fact!

ARRCHH... this whole affair has been so aggravating. I would hope people have noticed these issues and that the way WB is trying to fix these problems is in fact really badly done. Think about it. Once again theyre having debates about "how can we fox lola' while the other likeable toon female is thrown out rather than given the change to come into her own as another option than Lola.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
Penelope is that girl who is just trying to get on with her life and do her own things, and being constantly stalked, groped, harassed by a guy who won't take "no" for an answer.

I can't say I'm in favor of giving stereotypical "roles" to Lola or Penelope just to make some kind of life lesson out of it. They're supposed to be cartoons for entertainment, not to teach morality or proper social behavior. I grew up watching this stuff and was still able to grasp that the cartoons were for humor, they are making fun of exaggerated situations and human characteristics and comical situations. Treating women as sex objects, either the Lola version or the Penelope version, is never cool. . .no more than dropping an anvil on someone's head. I don't think it's necessary to cancel it, though. Cancelling stuff just means people don't have the intelligence to understand that what they see in television, movies, etc. is not acceptable in real, everyday life.

Muttmutt

Absolute Menace
I don’t know if I think anything about the toons needs to be changed. However, I also don’t really care if it were changed because it’s just a cartoon and it doesn’t matter to me.

Women in general haven’t been well represented in the past. They’re either oversexualized, dumb blondes, or just a prize for the guys in the show. It’s unfortunate. On the upside, women are slowly being represented better and more fairly these days. I don’t think we need to bother changing what is canon in the past (although I don’t think it matters even if we did) but instead should focus on equal and better representation in the future.

Last edited:

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I remember hearing about that and wondering "wait what? I thought bigoted stereotypes about white people were okay by progressive™ standards" but of course it had nothing to do with that; I hate that this confused me.

I think all these companies need to just die out with the parasites that are currently using them as cash grabs, so the same sort of people who actually built them long ago can make fresh, new entertainment that people would actually enjoy instead of being on the lookout for fake outrage nitpicks

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I personally never seen the character as "rapey", just a dumb dude who is stupidly in love and keeps chasing his crush, which is most likely the intention since his debut.
Then clearly you need a tinfoil hat, THEN you'll see all about the sexism in it

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
I remember hearing about that and wondering "wait what? I thought bigoted stereotypes about white people were okay by progressive™ standards" but of course it had nothing to do with that; I hate that this confused me.

I think all these companies need to just die out with the parasites that are currently using them as cash grabs, so the same sort of people who actually built them long ago can make fresh, new entertainment that people would actually enjoy instead of being on the lookout for fake outrage nitpicks
I'm gonna be honest, I hate turning on Netflix or Prime Video and seeing this activist shit forced on the front page, in every show, and seeing that some new reboots have been bastardized. Sometimes, within the first 5 minutes I see a fucking cheesy reference about whites, blacks, women, gays, etc, it's literally in every new movie or TV show.

"THEM" is an example of an awful show because not only does it exaggerate elements to some degree, but it makes both whites and blacks look bad, and then these weird horror series having the white people die early on (like they did with black people tropes decades ago, except reversing it on whites), or just make them look like the villain, like wtf? Or the new Twilight Zone just being an ideological shitfest is another example.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I'm gonna be honest, I hate turning on Netflix or Prime Video and seeing this activist shit forced on the front page, in every show, and seeing that some new reboots have been bastardized. Sometimes, within the first 5 minutes I see a fucking cheesy reference about whites, blacks, women, gays, etc, it's literally in every new movie or TV show.

"THEM" is an example of an awful show because not only does it exaggerate elements to some degree, but it makes both whites and blacks look bad, and then these weird horror series having the white people die early on (like they did with black people tropes decades ago, except reversing it on whites), or just make them look like the villain, like wtf? Or the new Twilight Zone just being an ideological shitfest is another example.
That's why I don't want netfucks, lol. If I want propaganda, I'll watch old ones, at least they weren't disguised as your favorite series. That's just deceptive.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
That's why I don't want netfucks, lol. If I want propaganda, I'll watch old ones, at least they weren't disguised as your favorite series. That's just deceptive.
They're only disguised for stupid people who will watch the show and then subconsciously come to a shitty (negative) realization about the group that's being portrayed in a bad light. Insightful people will see that shit right away, and it's only subtle to sugar-coat the show for the masses who eat that shit up.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
I would still prefer if they took it upon themselves to be honest and have a header that says "this is identitarian propaganda. Enjoy!"
You know the CIA had a hand in inserting a lot propaganda in films decades ago against the soviet union and Russia, and actually used Nazis in the cold war? That's not a conspiracy theory either. One history documentary actually pointed out "they should have put a CIA disclaimer inside the movie". haha

Last edited:

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
It's obviously dependent on the context, but in regards to entertainment or expression, there's variables.
I mean there is, yeah. But at the same time people make mountains out of molehills there's an equivalent amount of people that will try to downplay or ignore serious issues.

M

ManicTherapsid

Whatever happened to Fifi La Fume, Pepe's female protege?

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
I mean there is, yeah. But at the same time people make mountains out of molehills there's an equivalent amount of people that will try to downplay or ignore serious issues.
The problem is, people don't focus on the serious issues, instead, issues are being tackled through slick propaganda and prejudice from another angle, or making new shitty tropes that alienate a portion of society, or things that are not helpful at all.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
The problem is, people don't focus on the serious issues, instead, issues are being tackled through slick propaganda and prejudice from another angle, or making new shitty tropes that alienate a portion of society, or things that are not helpful at all.
This is however extremely subjective - who judges the 'not helpful' - it implies there's objective judgement to be found somewhere.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
This is however extremely subjective - who judges the 'not helpful' - it implies there's objective judgement to be found somewhere.
I don't see how people would find reversing prejudices subjectively helpful to them; well fuck those people then I guess.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
I suppose a racist has no problem with racism. Hence the reason he's a racist.
Logically, people shouldn't be racist at all, or certain skin colors portrayed negatively? If that's an issue, then don't be surprised when you see more counter-movements, just as racists did decades ago.

ConorHyena

nazi hunter
Logically, people shouldn't be racist at all, or certain skin colors portrayed negatively? If that's an issue, then don't be surprised when you see more counter-movements, just as racists did decades ago.
Logic unfortunately is hard to apply to human behaviour and social order.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Just to be clear for a moment: Some people can’t see how a character who explicitly - explicitly - hounds a stranger under (often no less explicit) circumstances where they find them irresistibly attractive, blatantly try to court them into romance (explicitly a physical romance, starting with physical contact and excessive kissing)... and the stranger no less explicitly and overtly denies these advances and attempts to escape him... might be seen as Rape-y?

As if so this is... not the most disappointed with strangers on the internet re:this subject, but considering that particular incident was people arguing with a straight face “Getting somebody drunk enough that they black out, then fucking them, is not rape because they probably went to the bar looking to get laid anyways” that’s a pretty low bar to have not cleared yet.

Seriously: If you think Pepe’s behavior is good fun, harmless, and tinfoil hat realm for being controversial... I’d almost invite you to try it yourself and explain it five minutes later through a face full of asphalt, but:
1) Nobody deserves to be the target of this just for a prat to learn a lesson;
2) FAF Moderation is quite clear about users advocating users to commit crimes.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
Seriously: If you think Pepe’s behavior is good fun, harmless, and tinfoil hat realm for being controversial... I’d almost invite you to try it yourself and explain it five minutes later through a face full of asphalt, but:
1) Nobody deserves to be the target of this just for a prat to learn a lesson;
2) FAF Moderation is quite clear about users advocating users to commit crimes.
That's why they're in cartoons, and I don't think anybody gets their moral guidance for something that was meant to be comical, that they know is such, in a cartoon, for decades. So no, I'm not gonna go out and try something I know wasn't ever supposed to be real, or an example for my behavior in the first place.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
You're the same dude who once threatened to fight me in public after baseless Nazi accusations if I remember, @Attaman Bro fuck your accusations against people and shit far-left activist bullshit. Everything that comes through your teeth is like the typical brainwashed college student.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.