• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Pepe le Pew's canceled, updated thoughts / WB girls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
quite a reductive position on what is more so removing a slap stick effort to make sexual assault a comedic trope as it had been in the past with PePe
or if you mean diversifying and including more identities within media beyond heteronormative nuclear families and males being almost the only pillars of strength.

Either way its silly because showing displays of male models being soft is quite good showing them to have emotion is good that it is okay and normal to express it is good and if that makes you insecure in your masculinity maybe you should go on a spiritual journey and really explore what being a male actually means and not just ride on the 80's of tv sitcom representation.
What's silly is how new tropes are being instilled as sort of a domineering replacement over the past ones, excessively so, and somehow entertainment has to reflect real life circumstances to a T (according to individuals who think their specific demographics and new constructs represent more than what's factual), so much that it has to be forced in everything, even though they technically don't represent a vast amount of people on average, in fact, they disproportionally add elements in many new TV shows and entertainment that there's a political reference every 5 seconds with misrepresentations of certain other demographics, and people take that for face value, however, I guess that's the beauty of artistic freedom in capitalism as you people say. Also, when you say "heteronormative" and "males being pillars of strength", it comes across as something that should no longer exist in art or entertainment, which goes back to my point of simply others wanting to replace ideas (which in many cases, are natural and instinctive of our species) with new ones to fit the standards of another sectarian group of people, hence instead of male strength in films, you have female strength and male weakness, instead of heterosexuals you have LGBT, and so on, rather than trying to show people as equals, or at least in a way that doesn't blatantly come across as reversing prejudices through indoctrination.

ASTA

You know, the problem with attitudes like yours is that - instead of realizing the point at hand - you start ranting about how X leads to Y which leads to Z. If you think the past - a time period in which things like sexual assault/coercion were acceptable, owning human beings was legal, homosexuality was treated like a sickness, and women did not share equal rights - shouldn’t change and that when it does it’s some “progressive bullshit” then I am concerned for you. Society needs to evolve and adapt and we slowly become more aware of inappropriate behaviors. There was a time where the idea of giving women equal rights was called progressive bullshit and would lead to things like animals getting to vote. This is a common fallacy used by people to shut down intelligent conversation about changing the way we’ve done things in the past.

You know, it's legitimately astounding how someone can interpret someone saying "women tend to avoid physically-demanding jobs" as them also being in favor of society seeing homosexuality as a mental illness, institutionalized slavery as being just and proper, and regulating women to second-class citizenship as a totally groovy course of action to take. Quite a leap you took there.

But then again, this is FAF in 2021. Twisting the words of the opposition to make it look worse than what it actually may be is practically an art around here.

But no seriously, someone could waltz in here right now and actually have the unimitated gall to suggest that men, as a whole, have a noticeably higher tendency of being more into machinery than women are and I would more than likely witness at least four of you bozos hysterically pounding your keyboards and touchpads to drum up six woefully boring paragraphs explaining how such a statement is somehow deeply "problematic" and high-key misogynistic.

I've never been to an online space that housed such a high concentration of socially-maladjusted and therapy-prone human beings who are so jacked up on university-manufactured sociopolitical commentary that they now question major empirical components of everyday reality itself.

Meanwhile, I'm going go to work tomorrow and watch one slammed, cammed, and straight-piped 1st generation Silverado truck roar down the street that my place of employment sits on every fifteen minutes. And every single one will be driven by a man.

Who do I believe? You bunch or my own two eyes?

Even more hilarious is your little tangent on the cons and perils of black-and-white thinking but then you turn around and insinuate that the past universally sucked in all measurable categories (or at least the measurable categories that you give two shits about) or that social norms in the past were effectively limited to Y demographic oppressing and/or killing X demographic (not to mention your thinly-veiled suggestion that "past = definitely bad" and "future = definitely good".)

This entire forum is packed to its rafters with black-and-white thinkers (and no, I don't think I'm an exception here). lmao, I can't even remember the last time any of you produced an original thought or position that didn't look like it came straight off of Reddit, Twitter, or a Guardian article.

Last edited:

Kumali

Lupine-American
Je suis d'accord, c'est dommage surtout l'idée que les français sentent mauvais et l'idée de la pute française. Il est intéressant de noter qu'en France ils le faisaient aussi beaucoup, même envers d'autres Français surtout si ces personnes ne sont pas parisiennes. En fait, cela arrive encore à ceux qui parlent avec un accent français atypique qui diffère de ce que l'on trouve typiquement à Paris ou dans les journaux télévisés.

Alors, c'est la nature humaine, je suppose... (Aux Etats-Unis il y a le même chose avec les accents, surtout les accents du sud.)

Saviez-vous que dans la version française des Looney Tunes Pepé le Pew est italien. Intéressant, n'est-ce pas?

J'ai pas savais ça ! C'est drôle.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
How it started: “I have thoughts on Pepe Le Pew having his scene pulled from Space Jam 2, likewise the thoughts behind the changes to Lola Bunny and her design between movies.”

How it’s going: “Women can’t into machinery because I don’t see them driving trucks, also how dare you summarize the past as bad for many people! Sheeple Tweeter Guardian shill!”

At the very least can you pick an actual Leftist rag (like Jacobin) if you’re going to use it as an insult? Things people might actually be insulted to be compared with? “You sound like a line from the Guardian” And you sound like you eat gluten but I don’t think that’s going to make anyone clutch pearls. Now, “You sound like a CurrentAffairs” article? Then be fighting words!

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
Meanwhile, I'm going go to work tomorrow and watch one slammed, cammed, and straight-piped 1st generation Silverado truck roar down the street that my place of employment sits on every fifteen minutes. And every single one will be driven by a man.
Uh, excuse me, are you defending the (typically white) males who are polluting the environment when humanity is facing a global warming crisis?

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
@ASTA
you spend so much time typing keyboard warrior anger-posts that are hundreds of words long on the internet that I am legitimately surprised you actually have time to fit a job in.

This is a thread about a cartoon skunk. It doesn't really matter. So I am at a loss to understand how it is generating such angry political commentary.

It's difficult to imagine how unpleasant and upsetting life would be...getting this emotional over the silliest of things.

You know, it's legitimately triggered

I couldn't help myself here!

But seriously. This doesn't matter. I like pepe le pew, but children's animations aren't made for me to enjoy- so the amount I care about their content is limited! x3

Hi-FiWolf95

Metal Misanthrope
@ASTA
you spend so much time typing keyboard warrior anger-posts that are hundreds of words long on the internet that I am legitimately surprised you actually have time to fit a job in.

This is a thread about a cartoon skunk. It doesn't really matter. So I am at a loss to understand how it is generating such angry political commentary.

It's difficult to imagine how unpleasant and upsetting life would be...getting this emotional over the silliest of things.

I couldn't help myself here!

But seriously. This doesn't matter. I like pepe le pew, but children's animations aren't made for me to enjoy- so the amount I care about their content is limited! x3
I think it's more so the fact that they took a cartoon's ambitions out of context to apply a modern political argument to it where it doesn't even seem fit, which happens to be a much bigger issue as an attempt to conflate sociopolitical woes, but in reality, make a false equivalency to further weaponize certain constructs, even though, after re-watching some of the old skits, I'm trying to figure out how it even became an issue this current year in the first place. Also, if some of these old cartoons are still too much for people, Warner Bros still found a way to modernize the characters and include them in an AT&T commercial, but not in a movie?

I'm still trying to figure out, how people can look at the Pepe cartoons, even by today's standards, in such a diabolical way, and compare them to real-world issues.

ASTA

How it started: “I have thoughts on Pepe Le Pew having his scene pulled from Space Jam 2, likewise the thoughts behind the changes to Lola Bunny and her design between movies.”

How it’s going: “Women can’t into machinery because I don’t see them driving trucks, also how dare you summarize the past as bad for many people! Sheeple Tweeter Guardian shill!”

At the very least can you pick an actual Leftist rag (like Jacobin) if you’re going to use it as an insult? Things people might actually be insulted to be compared with? “You sound like a line from the Guardian” And you sound like you eat gluten but I don’t think that’s going to make anyone clutch pearls. Now, “You sound like a CurrentAffairs” article? Then be fighting words!

I want everyone to take the time to note that this is the guy who immediately launched into small pee-pee jokes/virgin shaming/"you can't secure sex from a woman without coughing up money for it because you're a bigot or something" (the last one is especially funny and stupid when you realize that every dude on the planet is paying for it with either time or actual money whether it's for dinner dates, emotional investment, alimony payments, car note payments on fancy status-signaling cars that were 'bought' for the sole purpose of impressing a potential mate, OLD subscription fees, wedding costs, new clothing and shoe purchases, etc) nonsense after I posted a comment that did not target anyone in this thread or anyone on the forum in general.

And isn't that sex-shaming/virgin-shaming though? Isn't that a no-no or does the consistent application of your beliefs and morals collapse whenever you're dealing with someone who isn't interested in putting up with the typical nonsense that you habitually traffic in?

I have an aggressive and direct way of talking both irl and online.

And I know you're just being cheeky and all, but this is a tad rich coming from someone who has a 6.7 post-per-day average while mine is around 0.46.

Still love you, Fallow. Always and forever.

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I think it's more so the fact that they took a cartoon's ambitions out of context to apply a modern political argument to it where it doesn't even seem fit, which happens to be a much bigger issue as an attempt to conflate sociopolitical woes, but in reality, make a false equivalency to further weaponize certain constructs, even though, after re-watching some of the old skits, I'm trying to figure out how it even became an issue this current year in the first place. Also, if some of these old cartoons are still too much for people, Warner Bros still found a way to modernize the characters and include them in an AT&T commercial, but not in a movie?

I'm still trying to figure out, how people can look at the Pepe cartoons, even by today's standards, in such a diabolical way, and compare them to real-world issues.

It's a children's cartoon, and you're typing on the internet about how warnerbros wants to 'further weaponise constructs'.

This is the only life you have and you're wasting it being upset about nonsense. S:

And I know you're just being cheeky and all, but this is a tad rich coming from someone who has a 6.7 post-per-day average while mine is around 0.46.

Still love you, Fallow. Always and forever.

This is a thread about a fart rabbit. (butt) Cheeky is all it should be. Whether or not there's a pepe le pew character doesn't really affect us because we're adults.
But for some reason this thread is full of essays about it as if it's a proxy for a wider political culture war.

Just make some fart jokes and enjoy remembering le pew's what I say.

Last edited:

Yakamaru

Spookdogg
7 pages. I know I am bored at times, but Jesus fucking Christ.

Attaman

"I say we forget this business and run."
Since it apparently bears / needs repeating,
I mean, I'll be honest: While half a page of "Attaman is a giant stinkbutt liar who sees Nazis in the trees" is only further making my point as to the whole "People really don't want to linger on the subject of the OP", it is at least better than defending incidents of sexual harassment, vomiting up biotruths, or pretending to care about violence in media or what whatnot. So, like, if you have to keep throwing up flak, I'm not going to complain if this is the method you'd prefer to do so.
“Attaman doesn’t care about virgins and has totally made small-dick jokes, swear on me mum” is fine by me if it means we don’t have to see more warbling about how it’s a bio truth that women don’t like physical labor or that society is built around displays to boink who you like or the like.

It doesn’t, alas, but even a few page break is nice.

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
I just recently remembered a similar argument made with the "Baby it's cold outside" song, where it was considered rapey. I enjoy the song, and I understand the playful denial of the female, making all kinds of excuses as to why she shouldn't risk spending the night and then settling on the smallest excuse (it being cold outside) to remain as such.

I didn't know they made a modern adaptation of the song until last Christmas and the first thing I did was cringe when I realized it wasn't the original. On one hand, yea, people are allowed to modernize it if they want. But like... you could hear it was so poorly/hastily made in retaliation to the original.

Was the song outdated? For sure! The song is more than 50 years old!
Malicious and sinister? Uhhhhh, no. Just because there were some insane/unpleasant things going on, doesn't automatically mean this song was intended to brainwash women all around the world into submission.

After reading over more of the comments here, I do think it was probably the wiser choice to just let people assume they were cancelling Pepe in response to the no-consent concerns; because they brought a not-so-popular character into the spotlight, and it was just a matter of time before someone started pointing out harmful stereotypes. In the end, WB probably took it as a bigger win because less time spent animating/adding in additional characters is saving them money on something they know people are gonna go and watch despite the premature outrage. Less work, more money, more money, more money.

I don't think every change a company makes is them bending to the pressure of everyone on social media (even though they probably prefer to have everyone else think that to hide the real reason).

As for the censoring of Lola, I don't even know where this argument is coming from. Is it the fear of censorship? The 30-40 yr olds that were hoping for a nostalgic fap? Did some moms think she was a terrible influence on their children? Or did WB just decide to go 'hey, maybe we should just make her dress like all the other players?' and everyone fabricated their own story when they released the redesign?

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Again it isnt censorship it is the company taking what liberties it wishes with its own product. corpo censorship would be if a corporation used their resources and power to silence and block out content not controlled by them.

for the many years of the battle cry of "get woke go broke" from dude bros who can't seem to grasp that things progress times change society evolves and media will follow with that oddly those they scream about seem to not be going broke like mega corp Disney or like Netflix with their very successful She-Ra.

Also please don't talk about Japanese culture because you obviously don't understand nor have actually experienced or lived around it in your life and you couldn't sound anymore ignorant about it.

Fun fact: My family has worked for a Japanese company before. It's called Katsushiro , or Advanced Steel. I've actually been to a baseball company picnic with them before, so yeah.

Also, I have a rather modest following on Pixiv with my characters too: https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/65452951/artworks\

Oh, and my server has Japanese members in it. So I would say, you're dead wrong. I know a lot more about real Japanese culture than some person with some anime avatar. :3

Last edited:

quoting_mungo

I just recently remembered a similar argument made with the "Baby it's cold outside" song, where it was considered rapey. I enjoy the song, and I understand the playful denial of the female, making all kinds of excuses as to why she shouldn't risk spending the night and then settling on the smallest excuse (it being cold outside) to remain as such.
I find it really interesting that you brought up that song - which I happen to quite like, though that's beside the point - in this thread. Baby It's Cold Outside has (arguably) aged poorly because it plays off of societal norms of years long past. There's no actual allusions to non-consent there, knowing that context, but if it were written today it would definitely be... questionable at best, because the cultural context isn't the same.

Contrast Pepe LePew. The conduct his character is built around has also aged poorly - because we now have a greater awareness, as a society, that courtship is not an excuse for non-consensual touching etc. Creating the character, in itself, is something that can be somewhat excusable - it's a trope that was considered acceptable at the time. I don't have a horse in the race in the sense that I don't give any fucks whether Pepe is included in new WB material or not, but I can still think that particularly big studios like WB have some degree of duty to at the very least consider the impact of creating material where protagonists are modeling undesirable complex social behaviors.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
My read is that the "cancellation" of Pepe Le Pew can be chalked up to a combination of laziness, virtue-signalling, and corporate greed.

Warner Brothers probably reasoned that Pepe wasn't marketable to DA YOUTH, and might potentially be a liability or a burr in their shoe, and didn't want to invest the time or creativity into reworking his character to be both familiar and contemporary. They also may've thought they'd receive acclaim and/or buzz (it doesn't matter!) for nixing him.

People have been quick to blame THE WOKES! but the wokest people I know have largely shrugged off his "cancellation." At most, some people have noted that his character is proooooblematic and that his schtick makes them personally uneasy, so it's probably easiest and safest to just bench him.

The toxic lesson corporations are learning is that they can get a ton of free advertising from doing something that appears even remotely "woke," because conservatives will wig out, brunch liberals will cheer, and leftists will engage in DISCOURSE. In the meantime, these corporations can continue being as corrupt and un-woke in actual practice as they please!

Meanwhile, the drama around Lola started largely due to people mistaking a piece of fan art for a screencap of the original film. I'll admit that I have been thoroughly amused to see a bunch of right-wingers rage about being deprived for BIG BUNNY BOOBIES.

Status
Not open for further replies.