• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: Perspective & Foreshortening

smallladyluna

magical girl cabbit
I'd like feedback on this. I've essentially focused on character portraits these past few years with not very complex perspectives and want to push myself to have more dynamic poses and scenes.

I know if anything I need to get basics down, but as someone who has never studied art I don't know where to start. I pretty much just search YouTube tutorials and look through different reference books as well as other people's arts.

Any advice, resources, links, etc, are welcome!

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
I'd like feedback on this. I've essentially focused on character portraits these past few years with not very complex perspectives and want to push myself to have more dynamic poses and scenes.

I know if anything I need to get basics down, but as someone who has never studied art I don't know where to start. I pretty much just search YouTube tutorials and look through different reference books as well as other people's arts.

Any advice, resources, links, etc, are welcome!

It's almost time for me to lay down (I'm nocturnal) but I do have one really important aspect for line drawing characters to share with you. This drawing has what's called "space junk" in terms of perspective. Meaning that it is just "floating" without any sense of where the ground is. This means the brain has trouble telling where the character is in space since it has no way of telling how high or low it is or even what angle we are looking at them. Luckily there is a super simple solution: Put a "ground line" in the picture. The overwhelming majority of standing poses like this can get by with a line halfway between the knees and the feet. As seen below. If you insist only using shading then give it a ground shadow around the same level. See example pics below:

Ground line:
www.furaffinity.net: Jasper LeBeau Turnaround by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Toxic by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Perfumed by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Bleat by redhusky

Ground shadow only:
www.furaffinity.net: Volts Fur Pattern Reference by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Campfire by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Marked by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Respect by redhusky

Ground line and shadow:
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Slow by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Ryo Reference by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Halsy Fur Pattern Reference by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Dust by redhusky

Space junk x_x;:
Left to right comparison in this first one
www.furaffinity.net: Rage Away 1 by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Soccer Fox by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Abducting by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Ecstasies by redhusky

Does this make sense?

smallladyluna

magical girl cabbit
It's almost time for me to lay down (I'm nocturnal) but I do have one really important aspect for line drawing characters to share with you. This drawing has what's called "space junk" in terms of perspective. Meaning that it is just "floating" without any sense of where the ground is. This means the brain has trouble telling where the character is in space since it has no way of telling how high or low it is or even what angle we are looking at them. Luckily there is a super simple solution: Put a "ground line" in the picture. The overwhelming majority of standing poses like this can get by with a line halfway between the knees and the feet. As seen below. If you insist only using shading then give it a ground shadow around the same level. See example pics below:

Ground line:
www.furaffinity.net: Jasper LeBeau Turnaround by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Toxic by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Perfumed by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Bleat by redhusky

Ground shadow only:
www.furaffinity.net: Volts Fur Pattern Reference by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Campfire by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Marked by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Respect by redhusky

Ground line and shadow:
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Slow by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Ryo Reference by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Halsy Fur Pattern Reference by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Dust by redhusky

Space junk x_x;:
Left to right comparison in this first one
www.furaffinity.net: Rage Away 1 by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Soccer Fox by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Abducting by redhusky
www.furaffinity.net: Sketchblog: Ecstasies by redhusky

Does this make sense?

Yes absolutely! Thank you so much for your input and the examples, I'm super grateful :D!!