• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Phobias & Fears Discussion

alphakitsune

Batsh*t insane
Fuck me too.

I cried getting my flu shot ;_;

One time I was getting my blood drawn and I was so scared of the needle that my muscles tightened and blood wouldnt come in somehow and the nurse got really mad. And on top of that I was so dizzy I bumped in the wall and her clock fell down and it broke,

Kocyra

The one and only
As a kid I was terrified of, wait for it, registers. The vents that blew hot or cold air, Mainly because they were dirty and dark and I actually believed they went straight to hell. I used to cover them all up with pillows if I had to be near one...

BC_Gracie

Let's see... Heights, yellowjackets, and being arrested. But there's stuff that many people fear that I'm fine with: spiders, bees, most wasps, dogs, and ethnic food. There are others, but that's off the top of my head.

Edit: Oh! Also needles! I get a lot of blood tests done, so I'm completely fine with needles.

Zerig

So Graceful and Phallic
Banned
When I was a kid, I saw this scene in that Adam Sandler remake of Mr. Deeds where some old dude pulls his kneecap off or something. So now when ever I walk through the kitchen or any other room with low cabinets, I'm always terrified I'm going to get one of my knees caught on the handles and rip it off.

It sounds fucking stupid, but it's all I can think about when I'm walking through the kitchen or bathroom.

To top it off, that movie wasn't even good. Not worth it at all. Fuck you Adam Sandler.

Also, sharks and anything with more than 4 legs.

Last edited:

Fyresale

Exotic White Bread
When I was a kid, I saw this scene in that Adam Sandler remake of Mr. Deeds where some old dude pulls his kneecap off or something. So now when ever I walk through the kitchen or any other room with low cabinets, I'm always terrified I'm going to get one of my knees caught on the handles and rip it off.

That part of the movie definitely skeeved me out a little, and I can totally understand where you're coming from because of it.
That and the scene with the frostbitten foot and the fire poker. Like, holy shit. That entire movie was a ride.

Torrijos-sama

The Artist Formerly Known as Jesusfish
We’re here on the 15th as Bus Driver Stu Benedict, long paralyzed by his fear of failure, reaches deep inside himself and finds something he never knew he had.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
I got used to shots. I have to get them four times a year. More of a nuisance than fear. Even watched the doctor last time. However, running along low height chain-link fences.... When I was a kid I was running along one and my jacket got caught, stopping me instantly and tearing a hole in it. Then my imagination kicked in. I thought, what if it wasn't my jacket? Imagine, running along side a chain-link fence. The camera zooms with you and the abruptly stops. It backtracks to see you caught on the fence. The interlocking ends were loose and sticking out at various angles. One of these such ends caught you. In your eye. The metal is lodged right inside it and you are struggling with the pain and trying to pull away without ripping your eye out. All you can do is scream and cry in utter agony as your fluids seep out.

RabidLynx

I'm happy.
Ok, so, as a child I had bobcatphobia.

Which is a completely made up word, but it's easier than saying "an irrational fear and hatred of bobcats".

Yep. I, RabidLynx, used to be terrified of bobcats (which ironically aren't that different from lynxes).

Here's why. As a child, I loved Cabela's hunting games. My favorite was the old but still amazingly fun Cabela's Outdoor Adventures. I loved every single map, I would spend hours ignoring the animals I had to kill and just walk around in the wilderness, amazed by how realistic it looked (and the graphics are still pretty damn good today, for a game made in 2006). However, there was this one map that I absolutely despised- Henry Mountains. I can't find words to describe how much I hated this map. As a child I dreaded when I had to go through Henry Mountains, but I knew I had to go through it in order to progress through the game so I can get to the better levels. So whenever I got to Henry Mountains I just did a speedrun in order to get it over with as quick as possible.

And why did I hate this particular map? You guessed it- bobcats.

Those little fuckers scared the shit out of me. The bobcats in this game are vicious, relentless, and absolutely terrifying. Yeah, I know you're laughing at me for being afraid of a cat, but in this game the bobcats were programmed to attack the player whenever the player was in at least a mile radius of them. And they had no mercy whatsoever. They gave no warning. They would creep in the shadows, hide in the bushes, watching you, and when you heard their battle cry you knew it was too late. Before you had time to run or take out your weapon, before you had the time to react at all, your heart would already have been ripped out of your chest. And that's why they were so terrifying. There were other animals in the game in other maps that would attack you too, but most of the time you can see them running towards you from a mile away and you would have enough time to take out your gun and kill them. But this particular map where these little assassins roam is a rather woodsy map, full of trees and bushes. It's very hard to see more than 10 feet in front of you. This made it perfect for the bobcats to creep up on you, without you even knowing you are about to meet your bloody demise. You hear their roar and a split second later you are decapitated. I remember almost having a heart attack the first time I was attacked out of nowhere by one of these hellspawns.

So yeah, I was pretty fucking terrified of those little bloodthirsty shitheads. I loved the game otherwise, I was absolutely obsessed with it, but I remember it was so hard to enter the Henry Mountains map, because I was just truly, legitimately, terrified.

Of course, I grew out of this fear and learned to love bobcats. About a year ago I went to a zoo and saw a real bobcat and I wanted to hug it :3

I am bringing this up because today, I faced my fear of these freaks of nature. Today, after having the game sit on a shelf collecting dust for years, I popped it out of the case, put it in the 360, and started to play. Wow, what a blast to the past. And there is nothing more nostalgic than reliving an old childhood fear. Yeah, I still dreaded this map. Now I'm not actually afraid of virtual bobcats anymore, but I think I dreaded the map because of the unpleasant association that I had with it. The second I entered the map, the painful memories of childhood trauma came rushing back to me. And I knew that today was the day I would have my REVENGE.

Frothing at the mouth with anger, I grabbed my bow (map only allowed bows in that season), and I climbed on top of the highest point of the map, screaming "BOBCATS! For YEARS, you have succeeded in making me piss my pants at the very sight of you! You have traumatized and scarred me for many years! Well NO MORE! Today is the day you meet your fate! WE SHALL DUEL, WE WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH, AND I WILL WIN AS I AM STRONGER THAN YOU! I WILL SLAUGHTER EVERYONE OF YOU, AND I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL THESE MOUNTAINS ARE PAINTED IN THE BLOOD OF YOUR SPECIES!" Then, I climbed down, and started to run towards every bobcat in the map. And what did they do? They ran away! I was actually starting to get mad. How dare they scar and traumatize an innocent child for so many years by cruelly assassinating me before I had the chance to unsheathe my weapon, and then when I challenge them to a duel they run away with their tiny bob-tails tucked between their chubby, furry legs?

I killed them, one by one, laughing as the arrows struck their cold, stone hearts and they fell to the ground. I did what they did to me- hiding, watching their every move, and then with a battle cry, jumped out and ended their pitiful lives. I became no better than them- and it was all worth it. The hunters had become the hunted, and every second of it was glorious.

Now I couldn't kill all of the bobcats in the map; this is because in this game when you kill an animal, another animal of the same species and sex will spawn in another part of the map. But it still felt great. I eventually turned off the game, even though I had much more maps to go through, simply because I was so happy. I finally faced one of my fears. Growing up as a child who would cringe at the thought of the Henry Mountains- or, as I creatively dubbed it, Hell Mountains- growing up as a child having nightmares about those little fuckers, and then finally rising up, after years of terror and depression, and slaughtering every one of my feline foes, yeah this was a huge accomplishment for me.

My years of torture are finally over. I no longer fear the Henry Mountains. I no longer fear the bobcats.

You hear me, bobcats? I'm not afraid of you anymore! I AM YOUR GOD NOW. BRING ME YOUR VIRGINS.

...what's that? NO SHUT UP I DON'T GET TOO OBSESSED WITH VIDEO GAMES SHUT UP YOU FAG0T YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING OH YEAH WELL YOUR MOM WAS OBSESSED WITH ME LAST NIGHT SHUT UP MOOOOOM THESE FAGS ARE BEING MEEAAAN TO ME BRING ME MORE HOT POCKETS ASJKHFKALJNEMNFAJSLFJSDFAM

Last edited:

ZettaBit

Caffeine Addict
...what's that? NO SHUT UP I DON'T GET TOO OBSESSED WITH VIDEO GAMES SHUT UP YOU FAG0T YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING OH YEAH WELL YOUR MOM WAS OBSESSED WITH ME LAST NIGHT SHUT UP MOOOOOM THESE FAGS ARE BEING MEEAAAN TO ME BRING ME MORE HOT POCKETS ASJKHFKALJNEMNFAJSLFJSDFAM

<_< ... sorry about the bobcats ... >_> They do seem pretty mean, though it would be nice to have one as a pet. That or a lynx xD

Misomie

Lazy Artist
<_< ... sorry about the bobcats ... >_> They do seem pretty mean, though it would be nice to have one as a pet. That or a lynx xD

Ooooooh!~ You hear that RabidLynx? ZettaBit wants you to become a personal pet. ;D

Loktipus

Cecaelia Amputee
I'm terrified to the point of mentally shutting down by falling, the threat of nonexistence and my own insignificance and my flesh blistering and melting off. Also my feet hanging over the bed.

Aaaaand this requires an explanation.

Ever since I was a child I would look at the sky at night and see the vastness of it, and not in the way that children normally do I mean I would see a never ending blackness spanning out with no wall in every which direction. I would see the stars in the country and then in the city I would see nothing, just the emptiness, just an unending vacuum. And long before I ever learned about it in school I realized that we're just floating in nothing. We're suspended in a vacuum by the pull of a force which we can only see when something falls. And I saw the moon and it was held by what I knew then as nothing, and what I know now as the same thing that causes me to land on my back when I fall down.

And I realized that we were nothing. It terrified me as a child. Like this wasn't me being deep, or trying hard to be cool. I was a freaky freaking kid. I realized that the stars weren't small they were just really hard to see because they were far away like the lights behind the car when we drove further away. And I figured out if they were that tiny and flickering that they had to be really far. That that nothing went on forever and ever, and I felt just....so unimportant and alone. And sometimes when I look up at the sky at night I sort of go into that same mind set and freak out and think that nothing's holding us here, nothing's out there that I can touch or anyone I ever know will ever touch for a million billion years. And we're just trusting in this thing that we can't see holding us up, in this invisible bubble holding all of our air in, on this round ball with this invisible force gluing us to it.

And that messes me up.

And I saw a volcano when I was young basically pop a deer. So yeah. That scarred me for life.

Never understood the bed thing.

ZettaBit

Caffeine Addict
Ooooooh!~ You hear that RabidLynx? ZettaBit wants you to become a personal pet. ;D

Perhaps... the rabies might be a deal breaker though :p

Not my fear, but: big clap of thunder woke me up, and the dog was pacing back and forth.

I guess being struck by lightning is a good fear to have

Shadoweyenoom

Lord of Potoos
I have an extremly irrational fear of trains. I don't know why, I just freaking hate travelling by trains xD

Sylver

I was afraid of the cat from the 1995 movie Napoleon, I had nightmares where I was the dog and the cat was trying to kill me :c