• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Pilots and aviators

Sigvard Alfrothul

It has come to my attention that many here have some flying experience, I’m just curious as to how many? I grew up with my father being a pilot so I was exposed to airplanes and flying a young age. I’ve flown but never been interested in pursuing a pilots license... I guess I had too much exposure!

My father got his pilot's license at 16 and when I was in high school, he saw an article about sailplanes and asked if I wanted to take lessons. I think my answer was, "I'll wait for you in the car."

So that summer I started with sailplanes and in the winter took lessons in a Cessna 172.

Unfortunately, my father was laid off about the time I was practicing for the flight test, so we couldn't afford it anymore. I never got my license, but I did have a solo certificate and made a few solo flights.

I knew I wanted to fly when I saw the space battle at the end of Star Wars (IV) as little kid. On my first solo flight, I wore an X-Wing hat.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
I worked acquisition and attack radar in the Air Force (F-4C/D Phantoms, job designation 32172P) and the rule was if a malfunction happened three times in a row, someone qualified had to fly the back seat and determine if the problem was pilot error or systems error. I had completed ground school and had about ten hours in the air in a Cessna 150L and 150M so I volunteered for the program. The Phantoms were just quirky enough to provide me with enough hours each month to get flight pay. I had about 300 hours when I PCS'd out of the service. Still have that log book, too.

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
I first gained my interest in planes and flying from my dad way back when I was very young. He wasn't a pilot, but he always had an interest in aviation, which rubbed off on me. Long story short, I had a pretty fair amount of exposure to it growing up, especially because I lived only a few blocks from the local FBO.

I started taking flying lessons when I was 14, and this continued for a while on an infrequent basis until I was no longer able to fund it. Looking back, I think my problem was that I just didn't have a good plan going into it, with long term goals. I had no guidance on the whole thing, and I really had no idea where I was going with it. All I really knew was that I just wanted to fly. So now, faced with the lack of money, I remained grounded - with the hope that I could continue again someday. As usual, life happened and my attention turned to other things. I haven't flown, actually at the controls of an aircraft, in 12 years now. I've wanted to get back into it ever since, but I would have to have a solid plan and find a way to make it economically sustainable by making a career out of it somehow, but that's easier said than done. It's certainly not cheap to do.

Last edited:

Stray Cat Terry

테리 / 特里 / テリー
I'm kinda irrelevant in some sense, but I rode planes since 4, and like 4 times a year... The streak ended at 16... At least I can say I know that gravity feels! (Maybe? They were all conventional passenger jets after all >p<)

I personally loved jets (less now after my experiences in the air force since 19... XP) and never rode a traditional airplane(with propeller fan engines).. I wonder how it's different to jets, especially in terms of riding feels? OwO (Oh, and I was the MP, not the pilot, obviously)

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
I worked acquisition and attack radar in the Air Force (F-4C/D Phantoms, job designation 32172P) and the rule was if a malfunction happened three times in a row, someone qualified had to fly the back seat and determine if the problem was pilot error or systems error. I had completed ground school and had about ten hours in the air in a Cessna 150L and 150M so I volunteered for the program. The Phantoms were just quirky enough to provide me with enough hours each month to get flight pay. I had about 300 hours when I PCS'd out of the service. Still have that log book, too.
Impressive. This could have been my dream job (in another life...).

I'm fascinated with aviation, but it's odd as at the same time I have fear of heights. Never had anything practical to do with airplanes in any case, aside from commercial passenger flights.