• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Planti or Digi?

Planti or Digi

• Total voters
G

Ginza

Title says it all!

So.. do you prefer your anthros plantigrade or Digitigrade? Why do you prefer one over the other?

Ciderfine

Slow as sickness but true as sap
Banned
Depends on the species, I feel both can be done if worked and planned right in designs but sometimes the anatomical base of a species makes what ever they have wonderful.

Mayflower

Chocolate horse delicacy
Plantigrade.

Digitigrade legs are too animal for me. I prefer anthro characters to have human-shaped bodies. It's just their head and tail that should be shaped like those of their species, and even then it should be in a cartoonish way.

When I have commissioned artists to draw my fursona, I've always been very specific about her having feet and not hooves. I really don't like hooves. I don't like big paws either.

Dongding

The sheep
Digi is my preference usually. Dongding's legs are so short though... It would be strange for him to have legs like that.

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
Definitely plantigrade but with paws rather than hands and feet. I don't really like digitigrade legs because it feels too feral.

B

BahgDaddy

While we're at it I dislike anthros with dinner plate sized paws. Unless your animal has unusually large feet, like a lion, you don't need giant feet. Like on wolves? Wolves have relatively svelte paws. Yes, they're big, but not that big. Please don't draw them the same size as the damn head.

Lientje

I honestly like both equally.. Though fursuit-wise I love digitigrade a lot more than plantigrade, it just looks cuter :D

Sunburst_Odell

Some weird teen on the web that likes cartoons
While we're at it I dislike anthros with dinner plate sized paws. Unless your animal has unusually large feet, like a lion, you don't need giant feet. Like on wolves? Wolves have relatively svelte paws. Yes, they're big, but not that big. Please don't draw them the same size as the damn head.
I don't hate that kind of style but I agree; paws shouldn't be that big. It looks weird most of the time.

B

backpawscratcher

Depends entirely on the suit IMO. It’s the complete look that’s most important.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
I don't have much of a preference for either or, but I generally prefer them over unguligrade locomotion; hooves tend to make me think of what ballerinas have to do to their feet to allow them to balance on the tips of their toes, and the thought isn't exactly pleasant.

Admittedly, courtesy of martial arts training when I was younger, I tend to walk with raised heels when not wearing shoes. It's not a true digitigrade form in the slightest, but it's a close enough approximation for the human body to follow for better agility. Go figure that the phrase "caught flat-footed" is used to describe someone who is taken by surprise.
We talking about suits or drawings?
I can only presume yes.

Last edited:

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
It depends on the style. Sometimes digi looks like they wouldn’t be able to stand ever, or when shoes are put on they look bad. Plantigrade works better for lots of clothing and making anatomical sense.

I personally use really digi if I’m going cute and something more akin to plantigrade walking on their tiptoes or in heels for more realistic ones as otherwise the anatomy just doesn’t look right.

Katook

Digitigrade all the way! As a kid I'd get scolded for walking on my toes/the balls of my feet because it was weird for a person to do(but common in autistic kids bc sensory. Walking on your toes too much can shorten that tendon in the back of your lower leg behind your ankle bones so it's good i don't do it too often anymore)

But I prefer my anthros more animalistic or feral withfeatures proportional to their animal species

dogryme6

Duality Fluff Dragon
Ehhhhhh... Plantigrade. I think. Otherwise this might happen.
upload_2018-4-5_18-21-17.jpeg

Yeah I don't wanna hurt my legs trying to stand like that.