• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Plantigrade, Digitigrade, or Unguligrade?

Plantigrade, Digitigrade, or Unguligrade?

• Plantigrade

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Digitigrade

Votes: 44 60.3%
  • Unguligrade

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

MagnusLucra

When thinking of an anthro, which is your favorite aesthetic?

Plantigrade - Walking on flat feet.
Digitigrade - Walking on toes.
Unguligrade - Walking on nails, or hooves.

Olivitree

Local Bizartist
So I'm cheating, I have a character in every type,
Guinea pig, which, in general, sit around in plantigrade most of the time, they are SAT when doing this for the most part but its the most common way you'll see them plonk themselves when relaxed and walk this way, mostly just a few steps to the next piece of food, its more like a small jump, they do run digitigrade however.
I have a digitigrade character, with hoof like claws but definitely digitigrade.
Finally, a deer butted character who has unguligrade legs.

I like them all in their own ways and when I think Anthro, I think of what ever that animal is rather that what would be my favourite.
But I have a soft spot for hoofin' it, its just a very elegant leg and fun to draw.

Punji

Vaskebjørn
For the most part I prefer plantigrade personally, though mostly because I think they make for better paws and nicer muscle structure. Digitigrade can often look good, but sometimes I don't like the depiction of the legs.

Vesper The Coyusky

I'm more of digitgrade legs personally. Plantigrade is better for full movement like dancing or running, instead of having to carrying foam pillows or carved foam on your legs (not to mention less time of being tired). But I like the illusion of having no human leg shape its and more of an animal's legs just makes you feel more animal like and more closer to the character you portray as. As for chosing the legs, depends on the animal too, (like rabbits and bird sona's, I would see plantigrade being used, but for like wolves/cats/ dragons, it looks better to me in digitgrade form. This is just my personal opinion.

quoting_mungo

Generally, whatever matches the animal the character is based on. Like, we’ve practically all been there, the place where you’re a tiny babby furry and draw everything digitigrade (except maybe unguligrade critters), and that’s okay. Live and learn. Once it clicked to me that no, really, animals are pretty diverse in how they walk, I personally never looked back.

(No shade on people who give their furry characters human-style or human-hybrid feet, though. You do you.)

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
You could find examples of all in my favorites. But for my own art, I'm dead set on plantigrade. Even my antelope characters have sort of "planti-hoof" foot design.

Nemara

I'm not really partial to any one of these styles of anatomical structure.

To me, any kind of character can be 'anthro', as humans are more than their body shape. I mean, I'd be interested in reading about a village of intelligent centipedes, or a spaceship crewed by crystal lifeforms.

But of the three, I do appreciate digitigrade a bit more, as it shows the artists are being a bit more creative with the character design - and likely with whatever story is using them, whether it be a story, novel, comic, tv series or movie.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Whatever is the style for the species, tbh-

For anthros, I would say any thing other than plantigrade can be a little awkward anatomically, depending on the body type.
But thats why I like doing furry art, character designs can be challenging.

BlackDragonAJ89

Bumbling Everyman
Plantigrade for the most part, unless the species specifically calls for anything else (tauren and draenei come to mind).

Besides, you know what's great about human-like legs/feet? SHOES! Many wonderful kinds of shoes, sandals, socks, and footwear you can wear when you have those kinds of legs...

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
Mostly a plantigrade fan out of habit but If I want a taller character without increasing the head/body ratio size I'll make them digitigrade. Although, the overwhelming majority of people who commission me ask for digitigrade to the point that I now explicitly ask in my order form what type of feet/legs do they want.

redhusky

Emperor of Floof! King of the Rats and Spamlord!
Plantigrade for the most part, unless the species specifically calls for anything else (tauren and draenei come to mind).

Besides, you know what's great about human-like legs/feet? SHOES! Many wonderful kinds of shoes, sandals, socks, and footwear you can wear when you have those kinds of legs...
I mostly draw furs with sandals, if they need to wear footwear, if at all. But mostly only women. Otherwise I have to do some serious footwear tinkering if I need to draw shoes on a digitigraded char.

Filter

ɹǝʇlᴉℲ
A cross between digitigrade and plantigrade. Like plantigrade, but slightly longer feet and walking on toes... which is basically what digitigrade is. Or, digitigrade but plantigrade when wearing shoes. In heels, it can be hard to tell the difference.

(No shade on people who give their furry characters human-style or human-hybrid feet, though. You do you.)

Yay human-hybrid feet!

JIBBLY

♡ Lovely Baby ♡
Digitigrade has an interesting look that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I also enjoy plantigrade and try to experience myself in each, but digitigrade will always come first.