• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Please critique my art (generally)

akitary

i was wondering if someone could give me some critiques of my work. i started out 3 years ago as a fantasy illustrator, and then only about year ago I went into furry/anthro art, and I'm sure there are big flaws with my pictures that i can't see right now.
I am very very slow with the process of these images, so some tips on how to speed up would be nice too, since commissioners do not like to wait months >.>

images are (hopefully) links ->

Bittertooth

the dudes in Des vs. Drayk v2 (especially the one in the wifebeater) have small hands for a male. there exist real life guys with hands that small, but bigger hands are more suitable for males in fantasy art. that's the only thing that bothers me

nice art, how long do these take you?

0rang3

Hurdur
The first one, since they're fighting I think warm colours are needed for the piece to be more "action-packed" since the colours you used are all cool colours in that piece.
Third one, in my opinion it is a little too dark(trees).
You might need to work on your anatomy for a bit.

Last edited:

Gnarl

The Arcane Sage
I agree with Orange, the use of color in different ways will give you punch. for example: use more of a Veridian with just a hint of white added or a curelian blue in the dragons scales that are in shadow. also there are some places where the light sources are not constant. If your going to use such a restricted pallet it should include the compliment of the base color. And maybe not so grayed out ... of course some of that may be my screen. The hands are too small in the first hand and the shadows again could use a bit of compliment color to make them stand out. The third one though I don't understand the light source unless the creature is under a street light or something, if there is an opening in the tree canopy then it should be reflected in the trees behind.
Now that that is said, they are awesome work!!

akitary

the dudes in Des vs. Drayk v2 (especially the one in the wifebeater) have small hands for a male. there exist real life guys with hands that small, but bigger hands are more suitable for males in fantasy art. that's the only thing that bothers me

nice art, how long do these take you?

yeah, i always screw up with hand sizes... >< These ones are already enlarged..
the fighting scene one was about 40 hours, the dragon was like 20, and the birdie was ~10.

akitary

The first one, since they're fighting I think warm colours are needed for the piece to be more "action-packed" since the colours you used are all cool colours in that piece.
Third one, in my opinion it is a little too dark(trees).
You might need to work on your anatomy for a bit.

I never thought that warmth/coolness has anything to do with dynamics in an image D: thanks for the tip! (for the anatomy part, i know it's horrible, I'm trying hard to improve)

akitary

I agree with Orange, the use of color in different ways will give you punch. for example: use more of a Veridian with just a hint of white added or a curelian blue in the dragons scales that are in shadow. also there are some places where the light sources are not constant. If your going to use such a restricted pallet it should include the compliment of the base color. And maybe not so grayed out ... of course some of that may be my screen. The hands are too small in the first hand and the shadows again could use a bit of compliment color to make them stand out. The third one though I don't understand the light source unless the creature is under a street light or something, if there is an opening in the tree canopy then it should be reflected in the trees behind.
Now that that is said, they are awesome work!!

the thing is that I paint from "feeling". I've got no idea of how lights actually work. Of course I am learning, looking up all sorts of tutorials on the net, but for now the only thing that makes my art somewhat outstanding is the coloring style - I can't afford to drop it yet.

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
I can't see these, so I'm gonna be barely useful- You get faster by painting more. Practise is the only way to solve that, honestly. You don't have to choose specific colors to explain a certain meaning (aka, fighting should be warm colored) that's just frickin' silly. Any colors used correctly are gonna work for you. Contrasting colors are an interesting way to help make things stand out, but again, not necessary for it. There are plenty of inbetweens that'l do just fine. When adding highlight, you're technically adding "the sun/ the sun's color" into it. Adding white makes things sorta bleached out/ unrealistic. A sort of very light/ creamy yellow tends to work pretty well.

the thing is that I paint from "feeling". I've got no idea of how lights actually work. Of course I am learning, looking up all sorts of tutorials on the net, but for now the only thing that makes my art somewhat outstanding is the coloring style - I can't afford to drop it yet.

Imma be harsh for a second. Don't ever do this. Don't ever go 'I can't learn THIS thing, because I need to hold onto this coloring style!" That's also silly. If you wanna get better, you can't be afraid to destroy how you do things in the past. That's how our brains work, if you get set in a certain way of doing things, and don't try anything else, then you will stagnate doing the same shit for the rest of your drawing career. Experimenting is the way we get better. Don't know how lights work? Figure it out, then. Can't change it because the... coloring style(???) ... tells you not to? TS. From what I can see of the images/ thumbnails, things seem to rely on black a whole lot. And I hate to say this, they don't really stand out as a unique coloring style.