• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Please share soulful, hip-hop/rap songs

Razrroth

Anxious Artist, Always Apologizing
This is going to be kind of specific, as I have a very limited interest in rap/hiphop music, but I'm trying to extend the scope of songs I know and like. My fiance loves rap, so I try to find tolerable music I can listen to with him. c:

I'm not looking for hateful*, distasteful, gore/murder themes, and neither of us like modern mumble rap or heavy auto-tune (a bit is okay with me, but he hates it).

*I know a lot of songs with a nice beat tend to have political themes or related topics. That's fine as long as it doesn't detract from the music itself. The less yelling and cursing, the more likely I am to enjoy it.

The most important thing to me is I really like a good beat and smooth voice/rap to pull me in. If the music or chorus is catchy enough, I'll like it regardless of the rap or theme. Good, smooth rhymes help too.

I'm going to try and link a couple of songs for examples

Because I generally dislike the subject matter of rap/hip-hop, I don't actively seek out new artists or songs. I usually only have one or two things I like by certain people, so feel free to suggest things by the same people.
Rittz is one of the rare few I like a lot of songs by, however, so I've heard a lot of his songs already.

Thanks for stopping by!

Pipistrele

Smart batto!
Considering the context, I can't recommend Noname more. A soulful female rapper who dives deep into themes of relationships, persistence, self-esteem, hardships, death, and many more. Her style is smooth, she doesn't go into cussing and beats, and her lyricism is mostly on intellectual side.

On more oldie and instrumental side, there's Nujabes - a legendary Japanese hip-hop producer who pretty much single-handedly started the whole "chillhop/lo-fi" movement and is still widely recognized as one of the best composers in the genre. Sadly, he died early in car crash, and both his life and creative potential were cut short, but there's tons and tons material to dive into nonetheless.

That's just a couple quick suggestions since I'm at work and can't write anything more elaborate at the moment. Frankly, I'm kind of a hip hop head, so feel free to PM me, and I'll try to compile you some more worthwhile stuff when I get free time .w.

Sail_Ed

Tribe Called Quest has a lot of reflective songs. There's a lot of content that tackles hard issues/feelings.
There's a lot of bad shit said about BEP because of their mainstream party tracks but they go in when they want to. A lot of their non Fergie stuff is pretty heavy (nothing against Fergie, their songs just aren't party based outside of her joining them.)
The Fugees are reflective all over the board.
Outkast has a lot of heavy songs, they suffer a bit from the BEP treatment but their non-party songs are popular amongst rap listeners.
K-os does melancholy really well.

Kinare

RAWR
The only hip-hop/rap song I can say I enjoy and kind of makes me want to find more:

I especially like the 6LACK's voice and lyrics (he's the last guy). Smol bit of cussin', each of the 3 of them says like one cuss word each. Also one brief weed reference in case that matters.

If you like that you might like more from Khalid because he's got a very smooth voice and beat in other songs, but I think he's considered R&B more than rap or hip-hop? IDK, all I know is OTW popped up on a rap playlist (prolly because of the other two artists in that songs) when I was watching one of my fav streamers who was listening to rap at the time.

If you like 6LACK the best in OTW like I do you could try some of his other stuff, but previewing them a bit myself out of curiosity he does some "typical" cussin' all the time songs among some other smooth ones.

Last edited:

Razrroth

Anxious Artist, Always Apologizing
Thank you all for the song suggestions!
There's some hit n' miss songs for me personally, but there's definitely some interesting stuff here. Glad to see some different kinds of music represented.
It just shows there's still a lot out there I haven't heard of. It's hard to find the older and unique styles among the modern clutter.
I'd love to see more, if anyone else wants to add to the list!
Thanks again! c:

B

blue sky love

For those who have ever lost someone that they've truely loved... R.I.P.

This song was inspired by "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, an older... 80's band.

SkyeLegs

Reet Mazer
Aesop Rock, Eyedea, and Buck 65 are some of my favourite artists for good lyrics, so many great songs from them.