• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

PLEASE SPEAK TO ME NOW URGENTLY ANYONE

Sylver

Are you seriously comparing a pet to a human being. At this point I'm not sure if YOU'RE serious.
My response shouldn't be taken seriously, I left at least two hints for people to notice and realize that - my use of the :V and the fact that I acknowledge I was responding to a possible troll post.The point I tried to convey by sort of 'personifying' the cat is that people are capable of caring deeply for both - to tell them to simply put it down when it's 'useless' and to not waste money on it trying to help fix it because it's a pet is ridiculous. I feel sorry that you don't understand how people can deeply care for a pet and will even go so far as to spend all their money on it.Edit: Holy shit why is FAF so slow suddenly... it took me 10 minutes to open the edit on this.
It's not about not caring about pets, it's about making it suffer and spending copious amounts of money so it can suffer some more because you can't let go
I believe there was a misunderstanding in your original posts due to the way you worded it. If the pet is in a vegetative state or suffering and there's no hope, then yes putting it down should be considered. I think it's a bit taboo to be discussing these things anyway.

Last edited:
Oh my God....just..I pray you cat makes it okay. I just, loosing a pet is absolutely the worst :( You have my absolute deepest condolences if your cat doesn't make it. And if it does I so so so wish a speedy recovery :(

Baz

Damn dude, I hope she comes out OK and lives a healthy happy life. Iv lost 2 very dear pets in the last month and I know how hard losing a pet is. I hope everything comes out ok in the end. Im sure luna will come out ok, the vets should know how to handle it and get her better. Im really sorry to hear again everything will be ok im sure.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
My thoughts are also with you, Harbinger. Keep us posted.

Also, guys, turning someone's personal crisis into an occasion to idly debate the value of people vs. animals, or offer your own uninformed opinion on how much money spent on a loved one is "too much" is incredibly shitty and really fucking disrespectful.

When someone's suffering in real time, they don't give a crap about your opinions on cats, dogs, babies, vet bills, hospital bills, hospitals, Obamacare, or the latest Skrillex remix; they just need support and empathy. If ever you give your personal advice or opinions in a situation like this, it should be when a person has asked for advice, or when the person is about to do something incredibly dangerous or harmful, or after the worst has passed.

Jesus Christ, people, this is basic.

Last edited:

Kleric

My thoughts are with you, I don't think I could ever bare the same situation.
The unresponsive eye can't be too bad, I had a cat that got into a fight with something and had his eye pulled out of it's socket (we got a Vet to surgically remove it). He wasn't suffering after that, he was actually the most loving and happy cat I knew. Little one-eyed Oreo was a great cat, and I'm sure he definitely enjoyed his days even after he lost his eye.

Chuchi

Where'd the time go?
It sounds like you guys really love the little kitten, so even if she's got permanent problems, I think you guys will still be able to give her a good life.
I'm sorry this happened to you and your family, but hang in there and try to keep hope. If she pulls through, which I really hope she does, hopefully it's without disability, but even if she's got one, at least she'll have survived. And, like I said, I think it's pretty clear how much you love her, so she'll be alright.
Just try to keep distracted and not worry too much, I know that's far easier said than done. Keep her sibling entertained, she might become stressed that her sister is suddenly gone. Maybe the two of you can comfort one another in this time of need.
Hang in there Harbs.

Alexxx-Returns

The Sergal that Didn't Vore
A couple of months ago I was preparing for my cat to lose an eye. It turned out to be nothing, but I knew I would love her all the same, and nothing would change as long as she still had a good quality of life. I really hope Luna makes it out with a good future, but I agree, if losing sight in an eye is the worst she comes out with, you should be feeling pretty lucky.

Hikaru Okami

Radiant Wolf
Holy shit dude that's awful! Hope you're pulling through and everyone else too.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
In line with what Kleric said, as long as they're not in acute pain all the time, animals (and people, too!) are incredibly resilient. So, there's definitely hope.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
My thoughts are also with you, Harbinger. Keep us posted.

Also, guys, turning someone's personal crisis into an occasion to idly debate the value of people vs. animals, or offer your own uninformed opinion on how much money spent on a loved one is "too much" is incredibly shitty and really fucking disrespectful.

When someone's suffering in real time, they don't give a crap about your opinions on cats, dogs, babies, vet bills, hospital bills, hospitals, Obamacare, or the latest Skrillex remix; they just need support and empathy. If ever you give your personal advice or opinions in a situation like this, it should be when a person has asked for advice, or when the person is about to do something incredibly dangerous or harmful, or after the worst has passed.

Jesus Christ, people, this is basic.
Loved ones? Suffering? Stop treating it like it's a person. It's a cat. Coddling OP won't encourage him to make the decision to put the obviously permanently damaged cat down before spending tons of money and prolonging it's suffering.

Goodness!

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
People have different values, Hinalle, I hope you're aware.

Hell I even take action to ensure I use MY pencil. Some people might thing wanting a specific pencil is OCD, but I'm just extremely possessive.

People get that way about pets too. Harbingers pet is not anyone else's pet so its easy to see why the rest of us aren't in a mental breakdown. But how would you feel if you lost something you were attached to (well, that implies you CAN...).

I'm not gonna drag this garbage beyond this post, just prodding the subject.

Baz

Loved ones? Suffering? Stop treating it like it's a person. It's a cat. Coddling OP won't encourage him to make the decision to put the obviously permanently damaged cat down before spending tons of money and prolonging it's suffering.

Goodness!
I spent $5000 on my dog Lucy to save her and I treat my pets just as I do any other member of my family. Alot of people have different values and it sounds like Harb is willing to spend the money to save his kitten, just as I would or many others if put in the same situation. Now I agree if it would be in pain for the rest of its life thats different, but it sounds like its injuries arnt going to permanently disable or hurt her. My cat lived for the last 2 years of her life blind, but healthy happy and fine.

Kleric

I'm kind of annoyed of people using "I'm a human, and that thing isn't" as reasoning for anything.
Sorry, I don't give into your species self-employed superiority.
Don't give me crap on what I should and shouldn't care about, I value the happiness of everything that can feel it, and that I have the chance to give it to.

OT: I'm really hoping Luna comes out okay, and is able to still be a great happy kitty. :eek:

Last edited:

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers

Goodness!

People have different values, Hinalle, I hope you're aware.

Hell I even take action to ensure I use MY pencil. Some people might thing wanting a specific pencil is OCD, but I'm just extremely possessive.

People get that way about pets too. Harbingers pet is not anyone else's pet so its easy to see why the rest of us aren't in a mental breakdown. But how would you feel if you lost something you were attached to (well, that implies you CAN...).

I'm not gonna drag this garbage beyond this post, just prodding the subject.

I spent $5000 on my dog Lucy to save her and I treat my pets just as I do any other member of my family. Alot of people have different values and it sounds like Harb is willing to spend the money to save his kitten, just as I would or many others if put in the same situation. Now I agree if it would be in pain for the rest of its life thats different, but it sounds like its injuries arnt going to permanently disable or hurt her. My cat lived for the last 2 years of her life blind, but healthy happy and fine.

Come on, Troj. Let's you and me rock this OG, baby.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
I see the general consensus is emotion over logic around here.

Spending 5 grand on a pet is not a normal thing to do, not by a long shot, even more so on a dying one.

funky3000

Galactic Overlord
Considering much more people are paying to save it, I'd say that, by logic, it is more normal to pay to save it.

Considering that seems to be the majority.

Guess I lied about prodding. Fuck it.

Evan of Phrygia

WwwHhAaaAaTtTttTttTtT

Spending 5 grand on a pet is not a normal thing to do, not by a long shot, even more so on a dying one.
Logic is dictated by a set of values that a person considers valid.

The short and simple answer is that you do not find it logical; whereas Harbinger strongly cares about the psychological impact this animal has on her household and additionally is not concerned with the finances in this situation.

The problem we're running into is the word pet. Think about the effects of the animal, and the effect of its' well being.

The emotional reaction is an offset of the fact that that pet is seen as a valuable component to their household, not the drive behind the decision itself.
Many pet owners who decide to spend money on their pet in a critical situation usually don't regret the money spent.

I think, however, your values are set in place enough that you're not interested in seeing reason with this.

Last edited:

Harbinger

The Last of Us.

Goodness!

Just get the fuck out and be a cunt somewhere else, can guarantee she's made more people happy in her life than you ever have or will.
I already said i wouldnt want her to be a vegetable with a bad quality of life. She might recover, but i highly doubt it, she's my dads kitten at the end of the day and its his call, we had his last kitten put down only in august because she was in so much pain. Its not like we havent gone through this before never put our needs over any pets quality of life.

Just had another call from the vets, they say she's stable but still not better, apparently there is swelling so she might get better when it comes down. They're putting her under tomorrow and resetting her jaw. Her heart rate increases anytime someone comes near but other than that still seemingly unresponsive. Just hearing that she still aint better and i just feel bad all over again, dont know how i could be anymore upset if she goes.

But thanks for the help and advice everyone else, like i've said we've been through this before, but im just worried about my dad snapping with it happening to both his cats in a year, never known a cat as happy as Luna was, never heard a cat purr so loudly and jump on laps as much as she did, havent begun to think what it would be like to not hear her again. Just dont know what to think right now. Trying to distract myself but i just cant get the image of her like she was out of my head, or playing through my mind how it might have happened.

Last edited:

Kaedal

Punny User Title

If the world revolved entirely around logic, it would be a cold and uncaring world. There is place for emotions and feelings in a situation such as this.

Logic is dictated by a set of values that a person considers valid.

The short and simple answer is that you do not find it logical; whereas Harbinger strongly cares about the psychological impact this animal has on her household and additionally is not concerned with the finances in this situation.

The problem we're running into is the word pet. Think about the effects of the animal, and the effect of its' well being.

The emotional reaction is an offset of the fact that that pet is seen as a valuable component to their household, not the drive behind the decision itself.
Many pet owners who decide to spend money on their pet in a critical situation usually don't regret the money spent.

I think, however, your values are set in place enough that you're not interested in seeing reason with this.
Correct. To the owners, the value of currency falls compared to the emotional value of the pet in question. To them, the pet suddenly gains a greater value than the money, because the money can, in most cases, be earned back while the emotional element the pet provides is irreplaceable.

And no, buying a new pet doesn't bloody well solve anything, because it can't replace the existing attachment or the emotions. It's not a door. It's a living animal.

Hinalle K.

Banned
Banned
Just get the fuck out and be a cunt somewhere else, can guarantee she's made more people happy in her life than you ever have or will.
That would have been more believable if she were a dog instead!