• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Critique: please

D

Disgruntledfox

I have no clue what to color this thing. I've been touching on blue, but likeeee.... I'm just not at all confident in my decisions. I've only recently begun coloring. I'm also wondering what do you all think about this piece in general?

Here's the thing without color...
tankyboyfff.jpg

I'm a little iffy on the highlights.
Here's my color testing
tankyboyd.png

Without the highlights I guess.
tankyboylll.jpg

H

Hello! It's me. :3

Maybe you should color it a warm color (like reds, yellows, oranges) since it is a strong looking creature. You can also try testing out a few color combos and see what works.
Hope this helps.

D

Disgruntledfox

Maybe you should color it a warm color (like reds, yellows, oranges) since it is a strong looking creature. You can also try testing out a few color combos and see what works.
Hope this helps.
Ok I'll try something thank you

MadXStitcher

It definitely needs more contrast. The images are very dark, and the character doesn't stand out at all.

Also, avoid flat greys. I see in the second one, you're trying to paint over the grey with other colours, but you should start out with colour. It's hard to build off of nothing, so start with colour. If your character is a desaturated blue, for instance, using desaturated brown to shade will help him really pop.

shading test.png
The two circles on the left are flat grey. The two on the right are the same value, but with a slight bump in saturation to give the grey a blue tinge.

The top two are shaded and highlighted with grey. The bottom to are shaded with blue, and highlighted with brown. Even with these simple little shapes, you can see the difference. The right two circles already have more depth, but the bottom right one pops a little bit better and has more contrast.

D

Disgruntledfox

It definitely needs more contrast. The images are very dark, and the character doesn't stand out at all.

Also, avoid flat greys. I see in the second one, you're trying to paint over the grey with other colours, but you should start out with colour. It's hard to build off of nothing, so start with colour. If your character is a desaturated blue, for instance, using desaturated brown to shade will help him really pop.

View attachment 64916
The two circles on the left are flat grey. The two on the right are the same value, but with a slight bump in saturation to give the grey a blue tinge.

The top two are shaded and highlighted with grey. The bottom to are shaded with blue, and highlighted with brown. Even with these simple little shapes, you can see the difference. The right two circles already have more depth, but the bottom right one pops a little bit better and has more contrast.
thank you. this is super helpful... i'll change my approach then. i can see it.