• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Point-and-click adventure games

zandelux

So I was browsing GOG and came across this game:

And it got me thinking about point-and-click adventures, so I wanted to make this a general thread about them. Doesn't have to be furry-related.

I was super into these games when they were in their heyday (late 80s and 90s), but it's been at least 10 years since I finished one. There was a bit of a revival in the Telltale Games series about 5-10 years ago, but other than that I don't see much of them, even in indie spaces. The few there are tend to suck.

Anyone want to share their favorites, old or new? My favorites are mostly LucasArts games: Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, and the first Monkey Island. I found most of the Sierra games like King's Quest to be pretty bad, with generic settings and nonsensical puzzles. But I make an exception for the Quest for Glory series, those were really good. Oh, and Return to Zork is so bad it's amazing. It's like The Room of games.

Also, on the off-chance anyone here has played Fox Tail, is it any good?

Stratelier

Hah, I was raised on adventure games! If there's one genre that Mom and Dad agreed on this was it.

Which isn't to say we were necessarily good at them in the day, and especially when talking about Sierra's adventure games in specific. Unlike LucasArts, Sierra's adventure-game ethos did not protect you from dead-ends if you didn't know you were supposed to pick up an item early on to use it to solve a puzzle (escape a trap, etc.) later on. You learned the hard way to keep multiple save files and revert to an earlier save if you find yourself at a complete loss -- though to be fair, sometimes finding the alternate path you needed could put you at a complete loss as well.

The Black Cauldron (never did get to the "true ending", only ever choosing the "bad ending" where you sacrifice yourself to dispel the Cauldron's magic)
Mixed-up Mother Goose (clearly designed for younger ages than other Sierra fare, but we were in its target audience so...)
King's Quest 1 (original and VGA remake)
King's Quest 4, 5, 6
(Mom and Dad never got either KQ2 or 3 at the time; especially 3, and to this day I've still not played 2)

Space Quest 1 (original and VGA remake), 2,3,4,5

Quest for Glory 1 (remake)

We would ultimately get the collection versions of all three series:
- King's Quest 1-6
- Space Quest 1-5
- Quest for Glory 1-4

Each series did see one last installment (KQ7, SQ6, QG5) before fading into history, all of which notably featured a more "modern" puzzle ethos where you couldn't get "soft locked" in a puzzle due to failing to obtain something previously.

But, really, the thing I like most about Sierra's adventure games was the minimalistic UI; very immersive for its time (and to a lesser extent, even today). Contrast LucasArts's adventure games where literally half of the screen was permanently occupied by a control panel of actions and items....

Miles Marsalis

The Last DJ.
There is one my sister gave me for birthday way back called The Longest Journey. In it, you play a young art student named April Ryan who discovers she has the ability to travel between our world in the future where she lives and a fantasy land where magic and various mythical species exists. She winds up becoming embroiled in conflict between both worlds. The graphics were decent for their time and I enjoyed the game. I recently discovered that several sequels were crowdfunded afterwards in addition to the immediate one, Dreamfall.

grrfret

I also really like The Longest Journey. It's one of my favourite games, and certainly lives up to its name in also being one of the lengthiest adventure games I've ever played. I never played Dreamfall (at the time it was released my PC wasn't powerful enough to play it) or Dreamfall Chapters.

I was raised on adventure games too, starting with King's Quest I and the Secret of Monkey Island, and moving on to play every single Sierra and Lucasarts game I could get my hands on. In the end I played and completed King's Quest I-VII (never played VIII), Space Quest I-VI, Police Quest I-IV (SWAT wasn't my thing), Leisure Suit Larry 1-7, Ecoquest 1-2, Gabriel Knight 1-3 (will come back to this in a min), Loom, Zak McKracken, Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Indiana Jones (Last Crusade and Atlantis), and many, many more. It's just the genre of gaming I can't get enough of.

But coming back to my favourite point and click, my favourite game has to be Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. It's one of the few FMV adventures I've played, but from what I've heard is also one of the best. Everything from the acting to the storytelling to the puzzles is just perfect in this game. I watched a Youtube video recently where the person actually went to the real life locations from the game and it was fascinating to watch. Here's a link to the video:

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
The few point-and-click adventure games I did play were all Sierra. Mixed-up Fairy Tales (which I may have actually beaten, don't remember), Quest for Glory 3 and 4 (I never got far in either), as well as Leisure Suit Larry in an era when I was WAY TOO YOUNG to be playing Leisure Suit Larry. (Never got far enough for THAT either obviously.)

(I don't count Castle of Dr. Brain because that's a PUZZLE game to me, although it very much fits the adventure game aesthetic.)

In truth, I detest the genre, and my association of it to Sierra's nonsense is probably why even if they're nowhere near as bad as some of the text adventure games of the olden days. My only interest in those games is the failure states (which, to their credit, Sierra went overboard on), as well as the insult dueling from the Monkey Island series (because that's actually unusual and interesting).

CoffeeCat_

Daddy hunter
I've never been a fan of the genre, but I can't get past some games from Amanita Design. Samorost, Machinarium and Botanicula are pretty good ones.

Stratelier

In the end I played and completed King's Quest I-VII (never played VIII)
If by "VIII" you mean Mask of Eternity ... don't bother.

(I don't count Castle of Dr. Brain because that's a PUZZLE game to me, although it very much fits the adventure game aesthetic.)

In retrospect you can absolutely tell how it's designed from the same underlying engine.

Adventure games tend to really only have two things going for them: setting/narrative, and puzzles.

zandelux

If by "VIII" you mean Mask of Eternity ... don't bother.
I have actually played and finished this game. It truly is one of the worst games ever made. If you want to watch someone play this trash, GDQ did a run of it on their Awful Block a few days ago:

I couldn't even watch more than 5 minutes of it. It's not even "so bad it's good", it's just boring. Now for an entertainingly-bad game, I'll refer back to Return to Zork:

Stratelier

I have actually played and finished this game. It truly is one of the worst games ever made.
I played it too, back in the day it released; didn't make it very far (I got lost on one of the Underworld puzzles, and legitimately think I broke/glitched something to leave my file more or less softlocked) but indeed it was just boring to play. It's hard to have a good narrative with only one character, and the only genuinely interesting combat encounter I can remember was that one skeleton on a pillar that you won not by HP but by recoiling him enough to knock him off the pillar in question.

RollerRobert

Fallen Angel
I haven't played Fox Tail, but I grew up on Day of the Tentacle and the Deponia trilogy. Deponia I could talk about for a long while... I mostly like it for the style of humour, interesting world, and gorgeous art, despite some pacing issues in the first game and some problematic moments.
I'd say it's worth a try if you like the genre but honestly I might be biased lmao. the original is in German, I do like the voiceover in German more but the translation to and voice acting in English is very decent!