• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Pokemon Black And White Released Yesterday...

T

Tycho

Opinion of Pokemon B/W (I chose White): It's got some really neat new stuff but the gen V pokemon are a serious mixed bag of "cool/cute/great" and "what the fuck were they thinking". The male protagonist character looks retarded IMO. The "rival" for B/W looks like what would happen if Andy and Terry Bogard had a gay incest-baby and his personality reminds me of what would happen if Silver (rival from G/S/C/HG/SS) smoked a bunch of dope and gained the "pseudo-mystical PETArd bleeding heart" trait on top of his supercilious holier than thou attitude. The badguys in B/W are the most incredible bunch of douchebags I have seen to date, putting even the annoying Team Galactic in a distant second place (especially with the outfits, egad). The "friend-rival" characters are OK, I find Cheren likable enough (for a shallow Pokemon NPC character, anyways) and Bianca doesn't annoy me, surprisingly. The Fire starter 'mon is fuckin' BOSS and is my hands-down favorite, even above the adorably snooty Grass starter. The poor Water starter doesn't seem as horrid as he/she used to be but I honestly don't understand why they designed Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott the way they did, the style is just... all over the place, lacks togetherness and cohesion, it's like they cobbled it together in a big fat hurry and didn't really polish it and blend it all properly.

The towns/cities are nice enough, though the peculiar little camera pan that happens when you walk through doors facing left or right is mildly disconcerting. The crazy amount of camera panning that goes on in Castelia City is mildly disorienting as well but actually lends itself well to giving you the feeling of being in a HUEG city (the trip into Castelia via the spiral staircase and bridge is really trippy, though the flat sprites rob it of some of the effect). Haven't been able to try the dreamworld yet. Haven't been able to really put the C-Link through any real paces, either, though it SOUNDS like a good idea and a logical evolution of a game that thrives on player to player interaction.

Overall it's like they got a bunch of really awesome stuff together and didn't quite put it together neatly and polish it in spots. Good game though, no doubt.

Note: I haven't finished the "main campaign" yet and I figure I probably won't for at least another solid month or two, likely more given the sudden increase in "real life" activities I've been experiencing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
I had a leaked version with a hacked translation for about 3 weeks now. It is pretty neat. I may buy it later.

Note: I haven't finished the "main campaign" yet and I figure I probably won't for at least another solid month or two, likely more given the sudden increase in "real life" activities I've been experiencing.

Sadly enough, I got to 6 badges in less than a week, this game feels a lot shorter than the others, maybe my friends saying it felt more "streamlined" ment "shorter", since you go from one city with a gym, get the badge, go through a foresty/cave sort of area and repeat.

This is in contrast to having to stop the "evil team" of your game between or even before and after your gyms. So far this PETA team and their horrible costumes only show up for 5-10 minute side missions with a lot of dialog.

Schwimmwagen

I'm having trouble with a good team... I can never decide what pokémon I like. Personally, I dislike the starters (unless we're talking about Charizard or Feraligatr but on SS, I chose Chikorita) and I find that my team is made majorly of normal-types with moves of other types. I have a Raticate, Persian, Furret, Kangaskhan, Lickitung, Tauros and other stuff like that. They all know moves that can combat most types except for fighting types, but If I have the raw damage/speed/health advantage, no problem! They're pretty much my only weakness. I also have a Growlithe, Arbok and Scyther that I like so much but other than that, I cannot decide at all what to take. :/ Any suggestions?

And yes, I'm talking about Soul Silver. Yesterday I had a quick crack at Black and thought it was quite cool, but I will wait until I finish Soul Silver before moving on. We could really do with a good pokémon general discussion thread or even a subforum if we're feeling ambitious. :v

Redregon

Banned
Banned
I'm having trouble with a good team... I can never decide what pokémon I like. Personally, I dislike the starters (unless we're talking about Charizard or Feraligatr but on SS, I chose Chikorita) and I find that my team is made majorly of normal-types with moves of other types. I have a Raticate, Persian, Furret, Kangaskhan, Lickitung, Tauros and other stuff like that. They all know moves that can combat most types except for fighting types, but If I have the raw damage/speed/health advantage, no problem! They're pretty much my only weakness. I also have a Growlithe, Arbok and Scyther that I like so much but other than that, I cannot decide at all what to take. :/ Any suggestions?

And yes, I'm talking about Soul Silver. Yesterday I had a quick crack at Black and thought it was quite cool, but I will wait until I finish Soul Silver before moving on. We could really do with a good pokémon general discussion thread or even a subforum if we're feeling ambitious. :v

Wobuffet... trust me, when played right, he is one vicious motherfucker.

SirRob

I LOVE Team Plasma, they're my favorite team yet. They're even more over-the-top than Team Galactic, and the final battle drew me in more than any other battle I've had in Pokemon.

Plus I have a thing for knights.

And pretty boy villains. ♥

Holsety

I LOVE Team Plasma, they're my favorite team yet. They're even more over-the-top than Team Galactic, and the final battle drew me in more than any other battle I've had in Pokemon.

Plus I have a thing for knights.

And pretty boy villains. ♥
Their music still isn't as good.

CrispSkittlez

Unprincipaly principled.
I've been playing White at a steady pace, I just bought Platinum for $17, and I'm asking for Soulsilver for my birthday......

Brb getting a life.

Stratelier

The journey across Unova does feel a bit more linear. Whereas Kanto/Johto/Hoenn had interconnecting routes that you progressed in multiple circles, the routes around Unova are just one large circle.

Duality Jack

Feeling Loki with it.
I wish Archeops' ability wasn't retarded.

I guess it keeps it from being too rape.

That's the only reason I picked Mandibuzz to be my flying type...
Otherwise would have used that thing.
(Playing Black, otherwise it would have been Braviary.)

S

SilFerWolf

So far Unova just flat out bores me. Nothing compares to how good Platinum was, and how fun HG SS was with 16 badges and beating Trainer Red. Platinum had an underground system, 2 key items, a neat watch that made life easier, and the POKE Radar. I miss the Poke Radar SO MUCH. It made catching shinies interesting and possible. I really hope they bring it back in Pokemon Gray or whatever.

Also the plot in BW isn't as interesting as Saphire Ruby. Gen 3 will always be the most fun to me, hopefully they rerelease those for 3DS.

HatchlingByHeart

Flatulent Dragon Hatchling
Pokemon kind of died for me after the 4th gen since you find almost noone online who doesn't hack their pokemon and spam the GTS with impossible requests like a Level 4 Palkia. I suppose it's fine if you just play with friends online, but even then the fun does get kind of limited.

May or may not get Pokemon White, depending if funds allow in future.