• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Pokemon Platinum Release Date!

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
>> Silibus

I consider them third-gen, they're designed for the GBA. I'm not sure what most of the community considers them. And...you bothered with the TCG video game? D: Wow. I'm sorry. XD

Edit: Ding, 400
Yeah I did. I collected the cards and had the games, and history repeated when I got into Yu-gi-oh.

IanKeith

I'm Not Regret
I've got a bunch of the cards, but not really for playing. I'm god awful at TCGs, so I collect 'em cause they've oft got pokemon I like. In fact, very few people any more actually play the TCG -- most are just getting the art any more.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
I've got a bunch of the cards, but not really for playing. I'm god awful at TCGs, so I collect 'em cause they've oft got pokemon I like. In fact, very few people any more actually play the TCG -- most are just getting the art any more.
I liked them because it dealt with strategy, but after a while it gets old.

Talvi

I played Pokemon Diamond on my laptop. I didn't like it much I'm afraid. I really enjoyed the first two games (which equals 6 I guess) though. So I won't be picking up Platinum.

IanKeith

I'm Not Regret
>> Talvi:

...on the computer? Pff. That's really, uh...well, I just think it loses the experience, personally. I wouldn't rate my experience on the series on an emulation, but that's just me.

IanKeith

I'm Not Regret
>> Talvi

Honestly? I kind of believe that, too. You don't get the same booming experience, and unless you're really rich you don't have stadium seating and fucking amazing popcorn.

Talvi

It's a better experience at the cinema sure, but you aren't going to think a bad movie is suddenly good in a cinema, that's what I'm getting at.

IanKeith

I'm Not Regret
No, but you're more likely to see and experience things as the creators intentioned, and perhaps then they'll make more sense.

Talvi

By playing the game on a slightly smaller screen using a stylus instead of a mouse? Totally unconvinced. If you want to mention the wireless capabilities, I'll grant you that because I've never experienced it, but I doubt it'd be enough to change my opinion significantly.

Some things I like about D/P: firstly, I think the new generation of pokemon are a lot better than what we got with ruby/sapphire/emerald. There are some I genuinely like quite a lot which didn't happen at all in that generation, and only a couple of times from the 2nd generation. Secondly, it also had a fairly good mix of pokemon from other generations so you weren't completely forced into using only/mostly 4th gen pokemon that I personally wouldn't like (a big problem with R/S/E for me). The city graphics were varied and interesting. I also enjoyed the climate changes with mountainous and seaside regions. Furthermore, they also made the gyms a little more interesting without being frustrating.

However, some things I didn't really like at all. The speed of battles is the slowest yet, with it taking more and more time for pokemon to make their moves, become confused, appear from the wild, run away etc., I understand the need to slow the gameplay down a bit but I think they went too far with it. When you're up against something like a gym leader or the elite four, it's good, but when you're trying to get through a mountain and repel isn't effective, it's a nightmare. Another useless HM was added to the list, and I'm already against HMs because they take up a move slot, which is very important when you only have 4 moves and usually they're crap for battle. HMs SHOULDN'T overwrite moves, goddammit, why haven't they learnt that. I loaded Turtwig with all the HMs I could and got through okay by ditching one pokemon whenever I needed to get somewhere, but it's just inconvenient and adds nothing to the gameplay. The criss-cross nature of the journey you take through Sinnoh meant that I didn't remember the towns well either and I often ended up flying to the wrong one.

I don't think it's a bad game at all, it's just not as much to my taste and I'd rather stick to the earlier ones. I expect I will buy Platinum when it's out.

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
I dont know where Leaf Green and Fire Red fit in... dumb remakes.

They never made a remake of Leaf Green and Fire Red.

Ashkihyena

Back off man, I'm a scientist
LeafGreen and FireRed were remakes, that's why he doesn't know where to place them.

Not like Nintendo had much of a choice since that was the only way to get all the original Pokemon in the newer games, quite annoying really, but honestly, I was glad to see Team Rocket again.

Enigmaticat

Oh Boy!
Not like Nintendo had much of a choice since that was the only way to get all the original Pokemon in the newer games, quite annoying really, but honestly, I was glad to see Team Rocket again.
Im tired of all the new teams. Galactic, Magma, Aqua, whatever... all of their teams revolved around on legendary. Team Rocket was after all powerful pokemon.

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
Wait. Kanto didn't have new pokemon. Kanto has the old, OLD pokemon. You mean Johto?
No, I mean people overhype the ability to revisit Kanto in gold/silver. Yeah, it was a fun novelty, but by the time you get there you have all the HMs meaning nothing is an obstacle anymore, so you pretty much steamroll the whole thing in less than an hour (half an hour if you played a gen 1 game and already knew the layout).

For the "new" pokemon I meant the gen 2 pokes.

I think Generation 1 was the only one with overwhelmingly 'good' pokemon. 2, 3, and 4 had a few good ones in each, but they were hidden in a mass of pokemon ranging from 'mediocre' to 'crap'.
People keep saying this, but I see lots of fanart of the various gen 3 pokemon all the time. I think the games go in an odd/even pattern for good/bad overall designs, though gen 4 also has a lot of popular ones.

I'd just like to know why it took them so long to announce Platinum. Hasn't it been out in Japan for almost a month now?
I actually think it's a bit longer than that...

Im tired of all the new teams. Galactic, Magma, Aqua, whatever... all of their teams revolved around on legendary. Team Rocket was after all powerful pokemon.
But Galactic was the only one that actually succeeded.

Talvi

No, I mean people overhype the ability to revisit Kanto in gold/silver. Yeah, it was a fun novelty, but by the time you get there you have all the HMs meaning nothing is an obstacle anymore, so you pretty much steamroll the whole thing in less than an hour (half an hour if you played a gen 1 game and already knew the layout).

Yeah, that was really disappointing. For me, when you defeat the Elite Four, that's effectively game over, so adding Kanto and also e.g. in the Red/Blue remakes the 9 islands, doesn't hold any appeal to me. There's nothing left I want to achieve. It could have been a real good addition but the implementation was crap.
Plus there's 6 year old girls with lvl45 pikachus in Kanto and they jokingly add "Kanto trainers are strong huh!". Is your disbelief suspended? No, nor mine.

Imperial Impact

The Imperial Juicer
Get it >3

We can play together!
Much like me and you play MMSF2 together?
*Cries* Oh Gold version!!! Why did you have to die!?!? TT__TT
This :'(
Yeah, they always come out with a third, which is a remake of the first two.

Red/Blue - Yellow
Gold/Silver - Crystal
Sapphire/Ruby - Emerald
Pearl/Diamond - Platinum

I dont know where Leaf Green and Fire Red fit in... dumb remakes.

I used to have the old pokemon trading card game for the gameboy too.
Leaf Green = Jipjop gb green, Fire red = gb red

I also have that old pokemon trading card game for the gameboy too, Imo.
:')

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven

Ashkihyena

Back off man, I'm a scientist
Yeah, that was really disappointing. For me, when you defeat the Elite Four, that's effectively game over, so adding Kanto and also e.g. in the Red/Blue remakes the 9 islands, doesn't hold any appeal to me. There's nothing left I want to achieve. It could have been a real good addition but the implementation was crap.
Plus there's 6 year old girls with lvl45 pikachus in Kanto and they jokingly add "Kanto trainers are strong huh!". Is your disbelief suspended? No, nor mine.

I hated that most of the crap in Kanto was gone, like Cinnabar Island and such.

But Galactic was the only one that actually succeeded.

And just like all the other teams, they still pretty much failed at the hands of the gamer though, but yeah, Team Rocket was still my favorite.

ZentratheFox

You just lost the game.
I scrolled by this too fast and read it as "Pokémon Dating" and laughed uncontrollably. Awesome. They should make that game.

/useless post

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
What would be next on the list, Pokemon Titanium? And yes, the new pokemon are getting rather dumb looking since I never played anything past Blue..