• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

[POLL] Are you a Therian/Otherkin?

Are you a Therian/Otherkin?

• I don't know what that is (look it up)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I am also animistic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RileyTheOtter

The Autistic Otter
you do know the two are partially separate right? Therian is for those with animal connections, otherkin is the couterpart for those with one to fantasy or mythological creatures. I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here, i'm a therian. Know how much of a pain in the ass it is (no pun intended) to fall asleep on your back, and feel like you slept on top of a limb you don't have? (in this case a tail) i've always found it much easier to relate to dogs then people, not just because they're animals and easier to get along with because of that. I've regularly managed to get dogs to do a new command or trick right from the start with minimal effort, when experienced dog trainers could not with the same dog. All my dreams involving animals usually involve either me as a wolf, or a wolf at my side, never has one been against me. Dogs usually seen as unfriendly run up to me and try to play, or lick my face. I don't call that coincidence. and my senses of hearing and smell are much sharper than all of my friends (I can tell what color fireworks were or what was used for fuel (newspaper, magazines, computer paper, cardboard, different woods etc.) in a bonfire by the smell of its smoke alone) and can hear things most can't (electricity for one...annoying as hell when I'm trying to sleep with a migraine)

RileyTheOtter

The Autistic Otter
When most people get angry or annoyed at something, they usually hide that fact or get the urge to scream and swear about it. I on the other hand....my instincts say to growl at it...(and more often than not...I do) not exactly something humans do, but it is something canines do (my theriotype is some form of wolf, I just haven't found the exact species yet, though I do believe it might be arctic) That said, I don't believe i'm a wolf...though I do believe I have some form of unusual connection to them (more than just a "I really like the animal" type thing) other than that, aside from being autistic i'm perfectly normal.

Aaron Whitepaw

White wolf
When most people get angry or annoyed at something, they usually hide that fact or get the urge to scream and swear about it. I on the other hand....my instincts say to growl at it...(and more often than not...I do) not exactly something humans do, but it is something canines do (my theriotype is some form of wolf, I just haven't found the exact species yet, though I do believe it might be arctic) That said, I don't believe i'm a wolf...though I do believe I have some form of unusual connection to them (more than just a "I really like the animal" type thing) other than that, aside from being autistic i'm perfectly normal.
IM AUTISTIC TOO

Generic Fox

King of Autotune
I simply try to stay as far away from tumblr as possible
It's frustrating to me how many things tumblr appropriates and then ruins. Although I don't believe I have one, spirit animals are an important concept in many religions. Now when someone says their spirit animal is a panther, many people first think of whiny teens on tumblr instead of an actually meaningful faith.

Jarren

You can't just quote yourself! -Me
It's frustrating to me how many things tumblr appropriates and then ruins. Although I don't believe I have one, spirit animals are an important concept in many religions. Now when someone says their spirit animal is a panther, many people first think of whiny teens on tumblr instead of an actually meaningful faith.
Tumblr ruins everything. Plain and simple. It creates an echo chamber for ideas (no matter how good or bad) and seems to promote the most vocal and obnoxious members of any community that seeks shelter there. That said, there are crazies in the otherkin community who exist outside of the internet and further alienate then from the rest of humanity (maybe that's their goal?).

With regards to OP's question. No comment. :|

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
No, I am not an otherkin. I am not interested in being associated with fanaticism, only Furry version of it. Fanaticism in any way, shape or form is toxic and can often turn into a dangerous situation to be in.

I've met only one otherkin so far, luckily. Fuckwit decided to attack me the moment I didn't accept his stupid bullshit. Though considering my build, I am quite hardy and hard to knock out. This twit were skinny and 1.67-ish tall. You don't fuck with someone decently taller, stronger and bigger than you. That'll only translate into you getting your ass handed to you.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Insofar as the OP is concerned, no.

I have to agree with the first thing Abyssalrider stated: Therians and otherkin are not mutually exclusive to one another. Therians within the Fandom range from secular animist to otherkin fanatic, and otherkin are far from endemic to the Furry Fandom (whatnot with the fae and vampire subcultures among others.)

Last edited:

Haru Totetsu

Commissioner
Nope.

And personally i think such things are a load of rubbish. If a human can end up having things like the soul of a wolf then a wild wolf can have the soul of a human. I have yet to see a wolf try and mingle within human society or act like a human in any way shape or form. So to me...it's just people trying to find another reason to make themselves feel special. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I try to stay away from religion and religious-like thought.

I may like the mythology, but that's all they are - myths

you do know the two are partially separate right? Therian is for those with animal connections, otherkin is the couterpart for those with one to fantasy or mythological creatures. I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here, i'm a therian. Know how much of a pain in the ass it is (no pun intended) to fall asleep on your back, and feel like you slept on top of a limb you don't have? (in this case a tail) i've always found it much easier to relate to dogs then people, not just because they're animals and easier to get along with because of that. I've regularly managed to get dogs to do a new command or trick right from the start with minimal effort, when experienced dog trainers could not with the same dog. All my dreams involving animals usually involve either me as a wolf, or a wolf at my side, never has one been against me. Dogs usually seen as unfriendly run up to me and try to play, or lick my face. I don't call that coincidence. and my senses of hearing and smell are much sharper than all of my friends (I can tell what color fireworks were or what was used for fuel (newspaper, magazines, computer paper, cardboard, different woods etc.) in a bonfire by the smell of its smoke alone) and can hear things most can't (electricity for one...annoying as hell when I'm trying to sleep with a migraine)
Insofar as the OP is concerned, no.

I have to agree with the first thing Abyssalrider stated: Therians and otherkin are not mutually exclusive to one another. Therians within the Fandom range from secular animist to otherkin fanatic, and otherkin are far from endemic to the Furry Fandom (whatnot with the fae and vampire subcultures among others.)
For the purposes of this poll, then, let's go with Therian.

T

TeslaSkunk

Well.... nah. I know I'm human (unfortunately). I do know someone who is though

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Why? My wife found lots of stuff on tumbler to look at. And you don't get viruses.
Tumblr pop community is iffy, but you can find some good art repost places.
I have a handful bookmarked in case I'm bored and/or frustrated :p

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
For the purposes of this poll, then, let's go with Therian.
I'd be cautious to say yes in that circumstance.

As I stated before, Therian beliefs range from the secular to the fanatical, with the sole common ground being a sense of kinship with a non-human being. It can therefore be likened as "neo-animism" in that sense, but it doesn't need to be practiced in a spiritual manner, nor does it have to go so far as to invoke species dysphoria. In fact, it can merely be symbolic in nature, which is the method that I find the most preferable.

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
:)

All interesting reads for sure. I wasn't sure what to vote on even after reading all of them, but since my fursona came from my dream and has ties to the stars then maybe it is Otherkin? Confusing yet interesting ntl (=

:)