• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

[poll] Do you have virus protection?

Do you have virus protection? (if so please say what)

• Total voters
I'm using Nod32, the only AV I know of that doesn't send you a couple of thousands popups and makes even the most powerful computer run slower then a 386. If I'm for some reason unable to use Nod, I'll go without an AV.

CyberFoxx

Wait, what?
ClamWin on my XP partition (Best part is that it doesn't have one of those resident scanners. Damned things always slow down a comp.) and ClamAV on my Linux boxes.

indrora

sqrt(-1)/0 *universe crashes*
No, I don't have antivirus protection on any of my Windows based PCs.

I use a handfull of applications I need, don't really install anything new, and if I do, then only after I have tested it on a junk VMWare install of Windows. The only thing that I do have is a firewall which also is used to strip out ads from webpages.

If I do manage to catch a virus/trojan/malware once a blue moon, I know enough of/about windows system processes to identify the wrong one and remove it by hand. Failing that, I can simply restore the OS from a weekly system drive snapshot.

I cringe every time when I think about the overhead these 'system protector' apps have, and how large of a performance toll they take off my system.

I know enough about Smitfraud-C now i can remove it by hand with a few glances and some md5 hashes to confirm. but does that mean i know everything about it? nope. so i leave it to the experts.

and do you use the stock process manager or do you extend yours in some way? i've tracked plenty of things down by looking at what modules are run.

And are you using a third party registry editor? because one step and BAM nobody has registry access unless you go around and manually fuck with the registry... because
HKCR/exefile/shell/open/command/=c:\windows\spools.exe "%1 %*"
Is damned hard to track down. especially if spools.exe has a munged M$ signature and that CHANGES to match the Shell32 signature. (thats what i had... clever, isnt it?)
I found that with the help of RegAlyzer, ResHack, PEID and a few other ones. M$ builds most of their stuff with an M$ compiler with special identification. it shows.

oh and another thing: I've run several resident sheilds and the only one that remotely slowed my machine down was Webroot's (well, Sophos') -- the others that simply do a quickie regex heuristics based scan while keeping the library loaded into memory for fast access.

Last edited:

lilEmber

Small Dragon
AVG 8.0 Free Edition as well as Spybot just because they don't affect my pc in performance in any way and they do work so far have caught things and have prevented them so I will continue to use them and honestly Spybot is the best for registry and spyware protection and AVG is the best for anti Virus and bugged file protection by far.

E-mannor

Prisoner 655321
i have a mac, so it goes without saying i have never had anything of this sort, but i still have a good virus scanner and protector just because they came with the computer when i bought it. but really even if they don't work and anything were to somehow happen the program "time machine" saves all of my stuff as an actual copy of the computer at any given moment on back up, so it is virtually impossible for any virus to do anything to me.

Armaetus

Nazis, Communists and Antifa don't belong on FA
Windows, yes.

Ubuntu Linux, no.

And what kind of moron would slap two AVs on their system? That's asking for false positives, conflicting reports and possible instability..just like using two firewalls.

I lol at Mabyn and pitonpeludo for choosing that option.

Ceceil Felias

Never have I seen fail so huge
Windows, yes.

Ubuntu Linux, no.

And what kind of moron would slap two AVs on their system? That's asking for false positives, conflicting reports and possible instability..just like using two firewalls.

I lol at Mabyn and pitonpeludo for choosing that option.
Nevermind that the second antivirus in such cases is usually one that's manually-run only, like how I have it. :p No sense wasting precious cycles on two resident AVs.

Also, HAHAHAHAHAHA NORTON AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So anyway.

I'm seasoned enough that I don't need an antivirus program (unless I'm, say, browsing for warez perfectly legitimate programs `_`), but at the same time it never hurts to be careful, and it's not that difficult to disable AVG if I need to cut out what little overhead it gives. :p So far the only thing AVG hasn't agreed with is Trillian, and even then the dispute's rather small - it just means a momentary pause on Trillian when I close an IM window, and even then I'm planning on moving to Pidgin anyway.

indrora

I'm seasoned enough that I don't need an antivirus program (unless I'm, say, browsing for warez perfectly legitimate programs `_`),

*chortles* of course my bank balance is negative, whos isnt? *snicker*

As for moving to pidgin, beware that now you cant use the resizing textarea plugin with AVG as it causes problems. e-penis enlargement. ummm... entertainment :3

dietrc70

I've always hated antivirus software. It seems to really slow the system down, and sometimes causes weird conflicts.

I consider antivirus software a necessary evil if you share your computer, though.

Plague-Angel

aka Hateful Design
Im using Bitdefender Internet Security V10
Its working very well. :cool:

lilEmber

Small Dragon
i have a mac, so it goes without saying i have never had anything of this sort, but i still have a good virus scanner and protector just because they came with the computer when i bought it. but really even if they don't work and anything were to somehow happen the program "time machine" saves all of my stuff as an actual copy of the computer at any given moment on back up, so it is virtually impossible for any virus to do anything to me.

Actually, Macs can get viruses some bugs target only mac and a lot of script errors and a few simple things such as replacing a core file because MAC can't defend against that on its own but because only like 3% of the world uses macs it might be rare to get one of these but they are not silly bugs they are the serious ones.

Also i see you think time machine keeps a actual backup there on your hard drive of the core files, actually it dose keep some things but it, like windows restore can only do so much if anything windows restore can do more for core but less for actual files like time-machine.

Your doing good by having a anti-viruses on there as well because you will never know what might happen.

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
I wonder why NOBODY in this thread mentioned the possibility to use a virus scanner running under a different OS could be used to scan a corrupted installation on another partition...
If you caught something like Sasser, the best way to remove it is to use a hardened system featuring a virus scanner that is able to find the bug and wipe it off the computer. that's what I already did on a PC a few weeks ago when I visited a friend of mine. He had a few nasty bugs on his system he couldn't get rid off with his Windows Scanners. my Linux scanners effective wiped them out, and the problem was solved.
But the best virus protection still is the computer between your ears. With a proper config (like:"REAL women do not have EXE in their names", "8 inches are enough!" and "NO, my aunt doesn't live in Africa!"), almost 80 percent of all viruses don't have a chance. ;-)

I

Ishnuvalok

I use Fsecure. Never gotten anything while it has been active.

indrora

I've always hated antivirus software. It seems to really slow the system down, and sometimes causes weird conflicts.

I'd have to disagree. only once have i found a noticable slowdown and that was with Spy Sweeper. right now i'm servicing a 700mhz winxp home machine -- the only slow down was after i installed sp2. Note, when AVG and Spybot SnD both report 3400 infections, thats a bad sign. the machine is clean and active now. All forms of disk access are identical with and without on access scanner.

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
Note, when AVG and Spybot SnD both report 3400 infections, thats a bad sign.
LOL, if I had this message on my PC I think I'd deliver it the final blow with a 12-gauge and buy a new PC. xD
BTW: AVG and Spybot are a good combo imho. I use them both on my XP, and I really can't say that they slowed down my system or had false positives.

indrora

i've had a few small false positives with AVG but never anything much more than word macros

dietrc70

I'd have to disagree. only once have i found a noticable slowdown and that was with Spy Sweeper. right now i'm servicing a 700mhz winxp home machine -- the only slow down was after i installed sp2. Note, when AVG and Spybot SnD both report 3400 infections, thats a bad sign. the machine is clean and active now. All forms of disk access are identical with and without on access scanner.

Whoever owns that PC definitely needs AV software!

Maybe my workflow is just different. I work with large collections of files frequently, so perhaps I notice the slower disk access more. I did get my boss to spend thousands to get it for the entire office when we first started using the internet, and it was a good thing, because it caught viruses constantly. That was because the employees were doing running anything in their mail folder that ended with EXE, though.

WarMocK

I like to nuke ^^
That was because the employees were doing running anything in their mail folder that ended with EXE, though.
Remember what Albert Einstein said:"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. But I'm not sure about the universe." :p