• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Poll: Long-distance relationships.

Which applies to you?

• I'm in a relationship, but its not long-distance.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I'm in a long-distance relationship, but I haven't met him/her face-to-face.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I'm in a long-distance relationship, but we are planning to meet face-to-face in the future.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I'm in a long-distance relationship, but we have met face-to-face before once or multiple times.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I was in a long-distance relationship, but we are now together.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I've been in a relationship before, but I'm not in one currently.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I haven't been in a relationship.

Votes: 13 16.0%

• Total voters

TopazThunder

Noir Fetishist
Long-Distance Relationships are bound to fail if the people dont meet within 1 month. It is that simple.

By your logic my relationship should already have failed, and it hasn't. I didn't actually meet up with him four and a half months into it, and its over a year now and we're still together.

Иван

They can only succeed if both involved in the relationship are realistic. That is, they're both aware that they have to meet as soon and as often as possible for it to be a success, they both have to acknowledge that it's hard to remain intimate without physical contact, and they have to accept that there will probably be a certain level of mistrust to go along with it.

A long-distance relationship can't be successful if it remains long-distance too long. They can succeed, and true, you can't always choose who you fall in love with, but I do not recommend them.

Nocturne

Nocelots? ὸὦό
Really, I think both people just have to be really into keeping it up. My SO and I talk extremely frequently, and I think it makes it alot easier to wait until we can actually meet. The meeting definitely needs to happen as soon as possible though. There's only so much you get get to know about a person online.

The Grey One

New Zealand Scot
I was in three long distance relationships (one lasted nearly a year), and out of those three, I'm still good friends with two of the girls.

The relationship I'm in now is great - we've got loads in common and she's moving down here in January to be closer to me.

Koray

No3: I'm in a long-distance relationship, but we are planning to meet face-to-face in the future.

Wulf

Terminally Pulchritudinous
I've been in a relationship before, but I'm not in one currently.

What is it with people declaring that they (long distance relationships) can work? Of course they can. Anything can work, provided that the people in question are meant to be together.

Darkwing

You can never know even half of what someone is like over text.

This, and if I was going for a relationship, I would look for a chick IRL, not on the internet.

It's just not worth the whole long-distance thing, those kind of relationships are rarely successful and you have no idea what the person your talking to looks like IRL, that is, unless you video chatted with him/her or something like that.

Arquin

sex, drogen und industrial
I've been in a few. Wouldn't want another.

Most LDRs are doomed to fail from the start, especially when the initial meeting occurs on the internet.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
My current relationship isn't long distance (thank God) but I've done the long distance thing in the past. The only times I haven't been burned was when the "long distance" aspect was very temporary. Otherwise, my mate has always either cheated on me or our relationship was on again/off again (off again whenever she met a cute guy, of course.)

Thatch

Still not at 10k posts

ramsay_baggins

WINTERFELL!
I was in a long distance relationship last year for a while (Well, it was long distance for us, even if it was only NI to Scotland) and I went over to see him. Then he ignored me for 5 weeks, broke up with me when I saw him next, saying he'd been planning to for ages and then immediately started dating another friend of mine. What a jerk.

(She told him to leave her alone though after maybe, 2 days 8D)

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
Long distance calling isn't free, nor does it allow you a physical relationship.
The long distance calling costs part has already been dealt with, so I'll just say that it offers a closer connection to the person on the other end than text alone - One that can offer enough insight and emotion to properly stabilize a distanced relationship until physical contact is possible. Much like a US Marine calling home to his girlfriend while serving over in Iraq.

Shino

Now with more Writer's Block!
Technically, I guess it's long distance, since I have to drive two hours one way to see him every weekend, but it's worth it. ^_^

Most of the time, though, I see long-distance relationships fall apart. There's no substitue for actually being able to curl up with someone.

Leostale

Random Melodic Music Maker
I lost it.. gah
I wish i could do something to regain it
although it wasn't official

Cotoncandie

I've been in long-distance before, but only because he had to go away to college in another town. The relationship didn't work because it wasn't meant to work, but for the 3 years that it lasted as a long-distance, we never had a problem. I do believe there needs to be a goal, in "so-and-so-weeks/months-we'll-be-together-for-good". Visit as frequently as possible, call/video conference, and even though it's cheesy, sending goodies through the mail once it awhile really doesn't hurt.