• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Poll: Who uses GIMP?

Have you used GIMP (GNU IMage Manipulation Program)

• Total voters

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
Just curious to see how many people use GIMP out these, and what people think of it as an artistic tool.

I've been using GIMP for over five years now, and really like it. Does what I want it to do, and costs nothing to use. The under interface is a bit weird, but I've gooten used to it (and would probably have problems transitioning back to apps like Photoshop).

http://www.gimp.org/

artfan1987

Total Egg Loving Bird
I use GiMP sometimes to cut and paste my drawings to a photo.
Works great. I've first used GiMP on XP, then on Mac (which I currently own. Looking to get one with 10.5.6 or 10.6.4...) works good on both platforms.

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
I use it from time to time, but I don't usually use it. I normally use Paint Shop Pro 7 for most of my raster graphics editing, and for vector, Illustrator and Inkscape.

Aden

Play from your ****ing HEART
Used it once or twice, long enough to determine that it's a competent little program. I'd recommend it to others for their image manipulation needs, but I'm sticking to Photoshop for intensive tasks.

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
I like it better than photoshop, but I like other programs more than GIMP, too (artrage, painter, SAI, etc). It's great for image manipulation, but if/when I color on the computer, I usually need something that's designed around that purpose a tad more.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
I use it constantly-- it's the backbone of my "I'm too cheap to buy Photoshop" collection of programs. I do my most intensive work with this program as well as some basic cropping and whatnot.

I use are things like Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro (excellent program, but not free) for getting down 100% digital drawings. I've puttered around in SAI and a few other programs, so I'll switch it up if a program can work better than Gimp for that particular task. Yes, I've used Photoshop in the past at my college, and found Gimp to be a pretty nice back-up if you don't have the money to spend on it.

If you say "you can't create anything artistic in Gimp", then you've obviously not tried to do so.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
It's only worth using as a painting program when you add in the GPS and Gimp Painter. But it tends to be too fussy with certain tablets. I usually end up using other programs that have better painting tools.

Mayfurr

Mostly Harmless
It's only worth using as a painting program when you add in the GPS and Gimp Painter.

Hmmm - haven't heard of either of those. What's the difference between these and the regular GIMP?
(I did a Google search on "Gimp Painter", but I still remain unenlightened.)

SwingandaMiss

I AM THE COBRA COMMANDER
Hmmm - haven't heard of either of those. What's the difference between these and the regular GIMP?
(I did a Google search on "Gimp Painter", but I still remain unenlightened.)

It's a package of presets and brushes that supposedly make painting with gimp a hundred times easier.

As for GPS... never heard of it...

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
GPS is Gimp Paint Studio I believe. It's mostly comprised of a bunch of preset brushes. I've tried it and I do like it a lot. Haven't tried Gimp for Painter but I probably will soon enough

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
I particularly like Gimp's function for previewing animation frames and exporting animated gifs.

Riv

My avatar creeps me out.
I prefer GIMP to the CS versions of Photoshop, and use GIMP for everything most things that blender isn't suited for.

Thanks for the links. In reference to your post there, Mac OSX is a *nix system (UNIX freeBSD).

Edit: I also use Illustrator 10 still, for vector work. Can you believe it still works 10 years later in Snow Leopard? Backwards compatibility ftw.

Re Mac OS - *NIX-based. It's different enough that it's its own entity.

It's UNIX certified, as of 10.5...

Last edited:

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
I use it for all my image editing, but I'm not an artist or anything.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
I tried installing GIMP on my computer, but it would crash every time I tried to open it.

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Thanks for the links. In reference to your post there, Mac OSX is a *nix system (UNIX freeBSD).

Yes I know that, but people tend to pull Macs into a different category than regular *ix based systems.

Runefox

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public

And I always say *ix based vs *Nix cuz you know there was irix. ;) but that's O/T

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
Enjoy, his blog is pretty good too. It looks like he updated it with more FX presets too with version 1.4.

savageorange

I use it a fair bit, but not directly as an artistic tool. Though the brush control is much improved in 2.7+, I find it less comfortable for quick easy drawing than, say, MyPaint.
If I'm pixelling then I prefer Grafx2, but since Grafx2 doesn't yet support animation,
I will use the GIMP-GAP suite to animate stuff (sunandshadow: you'll probably like this even more than the built in animation support. Hopefully your jaw will drop. Mine did.); it's quite amazingly powerful.
I do appreciate things like G'MIC's anisotropic smoothing filter, for making linework nice and smooth, and various other filters like the LAB mixer and Water distortion. It's also good for vector-ish sketching, because of the flexible Free Select tool.
In general I tend to transfer stuff back and forth through the various programs
Inkscape, MyPaint, GIMP, Grafx2, and some of my own graphics processing software to achieve my final results. GIMP has a prominent role in tweaking things
(for example, MyPaint intentionally does not have a Cut+Paste to move parts of a layer, so I do this kind of adjustment in GIMP. I really appreciate the recently added .ORA support, since that's the format MyPaint mainly uses -- it allows me to just save in either app and then refresh/revert in the other, and see the new version just like that.)

Drake_TigerClaw

Drunken Pirate
I tried GIMP when I first started messing around with linux. I don't know if it's that it didn't like my tablet or that I needed to spend more time figuring out how the program worked, but mostly I just hated it. I couldn't get it do what I wanted it to do, I couldn't even draw in it properly. I ended up just ignoring it and compiling a wine beta so I could use Open Canvas. Maybe it's gotten better but I was turned off by it.

Runefox

There is a bit extra you need to do to set up your tablet in GIMP - You need to head into the Preferences, then go to Input Devices. Click on Configure Extended Input Devices, choose your tablet (and eraser and what have you) and make sure everything is set for Screen and save your settings. That should get it working as long as Linux picks up your tablet OK. From there, you can set the pressure sensitivity options under the Brush Dynamics section of the Tool Options window.