• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Polygamy should be legal

B

BahgDaddy

And in the true sense, not just a man marrying many women. It should also be legal for a woman to marry many men, and for a few men and a few women to marry each other.

In a world where all homosexuals can marry now, why have we overlooked this other basic sexual and societal freedom?

(If your only objection is "that's weird," remember - you're a goddamn furry. ;) )

MarquisofGIF

Marquis
It depends, as soon as all men and women agree to share same husband/wife, in these times most men and women are specially sensitive regarding relationships, i mean would you be confortable that your husband/wife is dating or even sleeping with another person? I think legal or ilegal is one thing, it's more of a sentimental stuff and it has sense that it is ilegal though because i feel that it may complicate certain documentations and processes i dunno, it may vary according to a country's views

I

Infrarednexus

To be honest, I don't have a solid opinion on this. How people choose to live their lives with others is always changing, and so long as it doesn't interfere with my personal life, I see no reason to reject it.

There are vastly different variants of marriage and relationships in societies across the world, and things like polygamy generally seem to work for those places. My one concern is how this may effect our legal system regarding marriage, divorce, custody, inheritance, documentation, and financial benefits. We based all of these systems and laws off a two partner marriage, so we would have to transform or possibly reinvent some of them. This could take a while, and would certainly cause some controversy all across America, especially with things like morals and beliefs in our Western culture. However in this day and age, we are constantly opening doors to new ideas and pathways, and this can include things like marital relationships, as we have done with allowing marriage between gays.

In short, I don't appose it, since I believe people should have the freedom to live their lives the way they want, so long as it doesn't harm me or others.

B

BahgDaddy

Technically there's no law against a few people living together and sharing. And personally, I don't know if I could share someone, I am not that experienced. Hypothetically it sounds fine, but in practice I might change my mind personally!

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
i'm of the opinion that people should be able to marry whomever they want to marry, even multiple people if they can handle it.

...BUT...!!

All the legal junk would need to be thrown out the window first. The government has far too much concern with the goings-on of its citizen's lives. Government needn't have ANY say in what constitutes a "marriage". Any and all "perks" given to married persons, straight, gay, poly, mono, whatever should be scratched FOR ALL. Marriage should only tell the world whom you LOVE. ideally it shouldn't dictate your health insurance qualifications, your tax rates or exemptions, your social security access, hospital visitation rights, etc. The whole reason people want to marry is to devote their love but marriage comes with so much extra baggage and exceptions and unfortunately that that's what everybody seems to focus on. in truth, i don't even want marriage and i think it creates A LOT of unnecessary problems. if you love someone enough to share your life and live with them exclusively, go right ahead and do so! -But i don't think it should have any bearing on status of any kind.

...except for being a wonderful husband or wife.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
depends, if its for others then it is their choice.

If it is for me then no fucking way

I

Infrarednexus

Based on a little browsing there are currently around 48 countries that allow polygamous marriage. They are generally in Saudi Arabia, as well as Islamic regions of India and some African states. Polygamy also used to be practiced in China and even ancient Greece, as well as being mentioned in many different religions in early times, including the Old Testament.

However it should be noted that Utah in the United States allows polygamous cohabitation, so I guess we may have already taken a step inside.

B

BahgDaddy

Based on a little browsing there are currently around 48 countries that allow polygamous marriage. They are generally in Saudi Arabia, as well as Islamic regions of India and some African states. Polygamy also used to be practiced in China as well and even ancient Greece, as well as being mentioned in many different religions in early times, including the Old Testament.

However it should be noted that Utah in the United States allows polygamous cohabitation, so I guess we may have already taken a step inside.

That's just because the Mormons run everything there. That's no step for civil rights. XD

I

Infrarednexus

That's just because the Mormons run everything there. That's no step for civil rights. XD
I suppose your right on that. I'm not a Mormon myself, nor do I know much about them, which I guess includes where they predominantly settle in America.

G

Ginza

I agree. It’s not the government’s business who anyone wants to fuck behind closed doors. As long as the relationship isn’t abusive, and all members have consented, I have absolutely no problem with it. The same moral standards must apply to these relationships as they do with classic, two people ones. However, I have no issue at all with it.

B

BahgDaddy

I suppose your right on that. I'm not a Mormon myself, nor do I know much about them, which I guess includes where they predominantly settle in America.

The tend to support only polygyny (man marrying multiple women) and not polyandry (woman marrying multiple men), or other variants. So it's very male centric is the problem.

Yakamaru

Bara mig och lite bensin
Personally I don't give a fuck as long as you don't try and push this as a "norm" onto others, because it ain't. Just like I keep my relationship standards to myself I expect the same courtesy from someone else who don't have those same standards.

One relationship already has its problems and you want to add even more people to the mix? Well, good luck, I guess. I won't stop you. But don't be surprised if the relationship decide to take a nosedive and fail.

B

BahgDaddy

Personally I don't give a fuck as long as you don't try and push this as a "norm" onto others, because it ain't. Just like I keep my relationship standards to myself I expect the same courtesy from someone else who don't have those same standards.

One relationship already has its problems and you want to add even more people to the mix? Well, good luck, I guess. I won't stop you. But don't be surprised if the relationship decide to take a nosedive and fail.

Aww, looks who's all sunshine and rainbows as usual :3

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I'm pretty open minded, and yet, find that while as an idea of individual freedom it sounds fine and dandy, the way it plays out, especially in the US with these out-there Mormon sects, it is pretty creepy and strange, the way young cousins are married off to vastly older men, usually relatives. It also seems more a way to control women, families, and communities, like the ones on the CO/Utah border. (Also, teenage males are driven out, as they are seen as potential 'competition') As it's been done by Mormons in the US, I am 110% against it. Then again, and not to step on any toes, I find Mormonism a cult, and not a religion.

If it's possible for people to be happy outside the kooky Mormon context, fine, but I think it will still most likely have a sexist basis.

B

BahgDaddy

I'm pretty open minded, and yet, find that while as an idea of individual freedom it sounds fine and dandy, the way it plays out, especially in the US with these out-there Mormon sects, it is pretty creepy and strange, the way young cousins are married off to vastly older men, usually relatives. It also seems more a way to control women, families, and communities, like the ones on the CO/Utah border. (Also, teenage males are driven out, as they are seen as potential 'competition') As it's been done by Mormons in the US, I am 110% against it. Then again, and not to step on any toes, I find Mormonism a cult, and not a religion.

If it's possible for people to be happy outside the kooky Mormon context, fine, but I think it will still most likely have a sexist basis.

Yeah, I think the problem is people hear "polygamy" and immediately think "MORMONS."

It's also quite likely that women marrying multiple men just wouldn't be very common.

Multiple men and multiple women should also be considered of course.

I think it's just not very common in our hyper individualist society.

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
Yeah, I think the problem is people hear "polygamy" and immediately think "MORMONS."

It's also quite likely that women marrying multiple men just wouldn't be very common.

Multiple men and multiple women should also be considered of course.

I think it's just not very common in our hyper individualist society.

Yeah, it's harder to see women marrying multiple men; I think things would mirror the existing social order, to a large degree.

Outside of any religious context, it's a curious idea, but not one I see many people really pushing for; unless, it becomes somehow vastly more economically beneficial to do so on an institutional basis.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
i'm of the opinion that people should be able to marry whomever they want to marry, even multiple people if they can handle it.

...BUT...!!

All the legal junk would need to be thrown out the window first. The government has far too much concern with the goings-on of its citizen's lives. Government needn't have ANY say in what constitutes a "marriage". Any and all "perks" given to married persons, straight, gay, poly, mono, whatever should be scratched FOR ALL. Marriage should only tell the world whom you LOVE. ideally it shouldn't dictate your health insurance qualifications, your tax rates or exemptions, your social security access, hospital visitation rights, etc. The whole reason people want to marry is to devote their love but marriage comes with so much extra baggage and exceptions and unfortunately that that's what everybody seems to focus on. in truth, i don't even want marriage and i think it creates A LOT of unnecessary problems. if you love someone enough to share your life and live with them exclusively, go right ahead and do so! -But i don't think it should have any bearing on status of any kind.

...except for being a wonderful husband or wife.
This, this, this... so much this!!

My objection to gay marriage never was about the "gay" part but the fact that the government was involved with the marriage process in the first place. Marriage is a contract between ppl who love each other and whatever divine being(s) they do or don't believe in. The government shouldn't have any say in marriage whatsoever.

S

Some Moron

Some laws make for some good jokes. I guess Governments must deeply care about what people do in their free time...

W

WolfyAmbassador

I feel love isn't genuine unless it's between two people having affinity for each other, I'll just leave it at that. I don't care if people want to be involved with multiple people but I wouldn't want it being pushed onto society as something that should be revered. Other than self-pleasure, I don't think anything good, beneficial or romantic comes from being with multiple people at once. With polyamory, it seems to promote more jealousy, favoritism, lack of respect for oneself and others in the relationship, and fetishization rather than passionate love and romance between individuals.