• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Polygamy should be legal

2oodles

All we’re asking is, how does this honestly affect you?

With that attitude next thing you know it will be in the schools being taught to children. In Netherlands and Sweden, they already have drag queens teaching children to be gender binary.

How boring are you that you have to associate your identity with an overtly sexual preference to having multiple partners?

G

Ginza

With that attitude next thing you know it will be in the schools being taught to children. In Netherlands and Sweden, they already have drag queens teaching children to be gender binary.

How boring are you that you have to associate your identity with an overtly sexual preference to having multiple partners?

That’s kind of a slippery slope fallacy there. I don’t think legalizing=encouraging. Should it be legalized? Yes. Encouraged? No.
I also agree that what’s happening in Sweden is absolute bullshit, and is hurting the children tremendously.

And again, I’m not poly, I’m monogamous. I don’t want that lifestyle, but I do support people’s rights to have it. Gay marriage is legal, and much the same arguments were made about that one (and why it shouldn’t be legalized). In the end, who cares what they do with their lives? Is it hurting you? No.

B

BahgDaddy

I support teaching kids all the different ways of thinking and of living. I don't support exposing them to any one exclusive viewpoint.

I

Infrarednexus

I can agree that teaching things like transgenderism and multiple genders is too much for children at such a young age. That's something that should be saved for later in their lives. But that's just my opinion.

Also, how about you refrain from using the term "drag queen" to express you're concern for the school system in European countries. You just sound like a dick saying that.

Kyr

Reeeeeee
Banned
But yeah, I believe in polyamorous relationships, too and I think it should be legalized :)
Just jumped in here.

Polyamorous relationships aren't illegal, if anything you're running into old bigamy laws but at this point that's more of a tax issue than anything.

It is somewhat of a civil rights issue though, I mean think how long such laws have been oppressing Mormons.

B

BahgDaddy

Just jumped in here.

Polyamorous relationships aren't illegal, if anything you're running into old bigamy laws but at this point that's more of a tax issue than anything.

It is somewhat of a civil rights issue though, I mean think how long such laws have been oppressing Mormons.

There's an issue of whether or not Mormons could accomplish polygamous marriages with consent. They use very strong indoctrination tactics. Even I almost succumbed to their friendly bigotry.

If you raise girls their entire life thinking it's normal to eventually be one wife amongst many, can they actually consent to that?

That's the biggest issue with me for Mormons.

Kyr

Reeeeeee
Banned
There's an issue of whether or not Mormons could accomplish polygamous marriages with consent. They use very strong indoctrination tactics. Even I almost succumbed to their friendly bigotry.

If you raise girls their entire life thinking it's normal to eventually be one wife amongst many, can they actually consent to that?

That's the biggest issue with me for Mormons.
Assuming girls are capable of growing into women that can take responsibility for themselves and think critically, yes they can consent to a Mormon marriage.

B

BahgDaddy

Assuming girls are capable of growing into women that can take responsibility for themselves and think critically, yes they can consent to a Mormon marriage.

Then the answer is no, since Mormons deliberately erode critical thinking skillls and suppress people from seeking out differnt viewpoints on things.

Mach

Ahead of the pack.
Banned
Just to clarify something, the vast majority of Mormons do not practice polygamy. It is actually against church doctrine and anyone practicing it can be excommunicated. Furthermore, only fundamentalist Mormon sects practice a form of polygamy where a only a man can marry multiple women, not the other way around or any other permutation. This may be a helpful resource: Mormonism and polygamy - Wikipedia

I also do not believe this sort polygamy is the sort that was being discussed for the majority of this thread.

Kyr

Reeeeeee
Banned
Of course they can. That's a logical fallacy of extremes. You can do better than that.
That's the extension of your reasoning though, either Mormons can consent to things, in which case a Mormon woman can consent to a polygamist marriage, or Mormons are incapable of consenting to things because Mormons deliberately erode critical thinking skills and suppress people from seeking out different viewpoints on things.

You can't just say women can't consent because Mormons, Bahg.

I

Infrarednexus

Mormons deliberately erode critical thinking skillls and suppress people from seeking out differnt viewpoints on things.
You're starting to talk about Mormons the same way we discourage people from talking about Muslims. I'm sensing a double standard here. Maybe we should just leave religion out of this.

Kyr

Reeeeeee
Banned
Just to clarify something, the vast majority of Mormons do not practice polygamy. It is actually against church doctrine and anyone practicing it can be excommunicated. Furthermore, only fundamentalist Mormon sects practice a form of polygamy where a only a man can marry multiple women, not the other way around or any other permutation. This may be a helpful resource: Mormonism and polygamy - Wikipedia

I also do not believe this sort polygamy is the sort that was being discussed for the majority of this thread.
Fully aware, although Mormon marriage practices were altered after they faced a government crackdown on tenants of their religion, (almost as if a religion founded by a known con man doesn't actually have any concrete principles) iirc it's why the US has Bigamy laws in the first place.

As for this potentially being off topic, polygamy is polygamy. It doesn't matter who practices it, you're either for or against.

Mach

Ahead of the pack.
Banned
As for this potentially being off topic, polygamy is polygamy. It doesn't matter who practices it, you're either for or against.
There are different arrangements in different polyamorous relationships. The type of polyamorous relationship endorsed by a religion may be very different from the type practiced by more secular individuals. Many religious polyamorous relationships have only a man who married to multiple women. Other polyamorous relationships allow women to have multiple partners, partners to have relationships with other each other, or may have hierarchies of personal closeness. All of this has been discussed on this thread. We should not paint these relationships with a broad brush.

Last edited:
B

BahgDaddy

That's the extension of your reasoning though, either Mormons can consent to things, in which case a Mormon woman can consent to a polygamist marriage, or Mormons are incapable of consenting to things because Mormons deliberately erode critical thinking skills and suppress people from seeking out different viewpoints on things.

You can't just say women can't consent because Mormons, Bahg.

Don't talk down to me or I'll just ignore you.

You're starting to talk about Mormons the same way we discourage people from talking about Muslims. I'm sensing a double standard here. Maybe we should just leave religion out of this.

We should never leave religion out of it. It's a major driving force in world society, and a major economic component as well as spiritual component Of people's lives.

Because Mormons start indoctrinating their children at a very young age, they grow up believing:

Mastubation is wrong.
Normal sex drives are wrong.
Marriage is a requirement to getting into heaven.
Don't question church leaders, the prophet, or God, ergo those who supposedly speak for God.

All major monotheistic use religion as a control tactic. Both Christianity and Islam are together one of the largest scams ever perpetrated on humanity.

They are not necessarily evil. Religions can be practiced responsibly, such as by not evangelizing, allowing other people their freedom of belief, and realizing their beliefs are usually not true in the objective world.

Kyr

Reeeeeee
Banned
There are different arrangements in different polyamorous relationships. The type of polyamorous relationship endorsed by a religion may be very different from the type practiced by more secular individuals. Many religious polyamorous relationships have only a man who married to multiple women. Other polyamorous relationships allow women to have multiple partners, partners to relationships with other each other, or may have hierarchies of personal closeness. All of this has been discussed on this thread. We should not paint these relationships with a broad brush.
Fully aware that individual relationship dynamics are different, i'm talking about polygamy as a concept. You're either for or against polygamist/polyamorous relationships.
Don't talk down to me or I'll just ignore you.
Can you tell me what about my statement doesn't hold water?

B

BahgDaddy

Fully aware that individual relationship dynamics are different, i'm talking about polygamy as a concept. You're either for or against polygamist/polyamorous relationships.

Can you tell me what about my statement doesn't hold water?

I am for both polygamy and polyamorous relationships.

I am not in favor of religious indoctrination of any sort. I do not support Mormon approaches to things do to religions indoctrination.

My stance is logically consistent. Your statement that they therefore cannot consent to marriage is a logical fallacy of extremes.

Kyr

Reeeeeee
Banned
I am for both polygamy and polyamorous relationships.

I am not in favor of religious indoctrination of any sort. I do not support Mormon approaches to things do to religions indoctrination.

My stance is logically consistent. Your statement that they therefore cannot consent to marriage is a logical fallacy of extremes.
I thought you said Mormon women can't consent to that type of marriage, something that does strike me as incredibly demeaning. Given your views on such religious groups that's to be expected though. It's a question of respect. Dogma is the bane of existence, yes, but that doesn't mean an individual religious practitioner is somehow immoral or brainwashed.

Mach

Ahead of the pack.
Banned
Can you not be for certain polyamorous configurations and against others? @Le Chat Nécro listed a few possibilities earlier in this thread.

B

BahgDaddy

I thought you said Mormon women can't consent to that type of marriage, something that does strike me as incredibly demeaning. Given your views on such religious groups that's to be expected though. It's a question of respect. Dogma is the bane of existence, yes, but that doesn't mean an individual religious practitioner is somehow immoral or brainwashed.

I used to be full blown Mormon, asshole. I know what I'm talking about. Have YOU been a Mormon? If not then shut up.

Mach

Ahead of the pack.
Banned
To be that way is biased and illiberal, it's as simple as that. Think of how this would have to be written into law.
Pardon me, I should have been more specific. I meant that can you not be against restricting the right of marrying multiple members of the opposite sex to men, but be amenable to allowing everyone to choose freely who they want to marry.

Felix Bernard

Chemist, Conservative, Mark Levin fan
I don't think the government should be all too involved with marriage. This should be an issue left for the church to deal with. But I do believe the covenant of marriage is between one man and one woman.