• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Poseable Model/Action Figure Help

Daiger

Does anyone here have experience in or know any links to making poseable models/action figures? I've been thinking since I've wanted to make a poseable plushie, but I have no idea how to make the skeleton and the joints to make it feasible.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read and consider this.

Starblind

For basic homemade action figures, the way it's usually done is to get an action figure that's somewhat close to what you want and modify it either a little or a lot using Super Sculpy of something similar. 12" dolls work too and are very posable.

Plushies are a different story. What you're making is called an armature. They can be custom-made for precise movement and perfect posability, but that's expensive. For something posable that won't get too much use, try making a basic frame out of one of the thinner kind of wire hangers.

Daiger

An armature? Thanks Starblind, I'll try to look that up. As for usage, there'll be quite some of it in a great degree - I used the term plushie because they tend to get snuggled and hugged and have loads of physical contact that may require changing poses quickly, unlike action figures.

So I'm not sure I want to rely on thin wire hangers, since they might turn too flimsy and not support the weight of a 10-foot doll, unless I have no other options. Also, is there a way I could make the armature by myself? It sounds like I could only buy one instead.

joecifur

No, you can make it yourself. I use a brand of clothesline, actually -- it's flexible but not flimsy, a metal wire slightly thicker than a coathanger and coated in rubber. It's also quite inexpensive. Just picked it up at Wal-Mart, myself.