• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Poser/DAZ works and the TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tensik

As stated by Dragoneer, I'll start the thread on this . . .

I believe Poser would fall under the realm of "character generator" given the ultimate nature of the application, and thus falls in line with a violation according to the AUP. However, this is the first time of the subject has come up.

I beg to differ, you've frankly shown a chip on your shoulder about this one for a while . . . I think you compared it to playing with Lego's, previously, for example.  ;)

Anyway, o quote the "About Us" page of the DAZ website:

DAZ strives to bring 3D art directly to the masses by delivering the highest quality digital 3D content and software at the most affordable prices. With a continuing effort at creating realism and diversity in every figure DAZ makes, and a commitment to providing excellent service and support, DAZ works to inspire 3D fans to "Unleash the Artist Within".

To quote the Poser product description:

Poser provides the easiest way to design with the human form in 3D. Creative professionals, graphic artists and hobbyists can use the rich collection of included 3D content and powerful rendering capabilities to produce stunning art, fine illustration and breathtaking animation for any application that integrates the diversity and spirit of the human figure.

In both instances, the ultimate nature of the programs are intended to be artistic tools.  In comparison, the ultimate nature of SL is to play a game, and the ultimate nature of say, a South Park character generator is to say "haha, here's me in South Park".  Poser and DAZ are tools meant for people who want to be creative, but do not have either the schooling or talent (if you go for that) to do so, and very few people who have lives have the time or resources to learn it from scratch.  

I'm one of these few people on this website with a degree in digital 3D animation, and I must admit on a personal level I have never seen an image created via Poser that I have considered truly "artistic". That's not meant to be a slam on anybody, but it's the nature of the application. I'm not sure that we have an official stance on the issue yet, however, so do not read my rules as "Dragoneer said it violates the AUP! Burn the heretic!"

Are you next going to say that only people who have gone to art school are allowed to submit art here?  I went to school for sound engineering, can I demand that anyone who didn't have to take down all their amateur work because I don't find it artistic?  I also ask if frankly, does your personal opinion factor into this, or should you perhaps step back and ask yourself how applying one artistic prejudice to one medium would affect the rest of the site?

These rule changes will, inevitably, not sit well with a few individuals, and while we'd like to make everybody happy, it's just not possible long term, nor with a site like this. I'd like to impact as few people as possible with these while raising the quality standards of the site -- as I am sure any other admin team on this would agree.

Exactly, and it appears in every other facet you have upheld that.  As you've already stated, there's a spam rule, and there will be filters soon enough for people who do not want to see something they do not consider to be art.  Make "DAZ/Poser Renders" its own filter and viola, no problem, they're even separated from people who build from scratch, just as SL people I am assuming would be.

As for the quality standard, you already know that's a REALLY bad line to go down.  There's a lot more bad "art" and space-hogging sound recordings and borderline remixes that are taxing server space and bandwidth than there are people using DAZ and Poser so produce their art.  

So, I believe the question here is: Is Poser art?

Does it make a difference what you or others think is art?  The creators think it is.  The program designers think it is.  It is advertised as such.  The usage licenses are highly visible and of no legal questions as to whether the artists would be allowed to post their creations in a place such as this (as opposed to remixes, copyrighted characters, fan art, commissions, human photography, etc, which you already allow).  The applications are nigh-infinite as users make new models all the time, at the rate of hundreds a week (possibly a day).  The variety of pieces/renders that can be created are every bit as large as any other artist's capabilities.  A large amount of the work is done by the person creating the render; at the very least, enough to guarantee that no two users would get the EXACT same results without literally sending coordinates to each other.  Most users make their own textures and maps, many build and import their own models, and most pictures take a LONG time to do, just as long if not longer than most of the drawings posted here in an average day.  

I think this topic warrants its own thread, and I invite you to go ahead and make it if you'd like. What are the pros, what are the cons?

I frankly can't think of a con to allowing it.  You already have the rule of not spamming, and like was said filters will be in so people who don't want to see it don't have to.  The percentage of 3D artists here (most of which do use Poser or DAZ) is TINY and I've only ever seen one that was prone to spamming (and he I think is gone).  It was never an issue up until now, while character generators were NEVER allowed, so it obviously wasn't thought of as a character generator up until right now; why change it?  

I can think of several cons for DISALLOWING it, in that you'd take the first step down the picking and choosing what is art path, which you already promised you would not do, either in regard to content or quality as long as it was legal.  You'd also be establishing that a legal artistic outlet is disallowed while borderline outlets are encouraged, such as Digimon art or other fan arts without the trademark holders express permission, after saying that nothing legal would be banned from the site.  You'd be ousting mostly fur artists, which while this is not a FUR site, would be a bad example, especially after you promised that no artist would be told to leave based on subject matter or medium.  

As for the pros, it's the same pros for allowing anyone else to show themselves creatively here.  It builds the community and keeps faith in the admin's previous promises in a way that is not detrimental to anyone.

I'm one of the furs that do some poser art I do it to take a brake from painting, it helps with page views to get people to maybe look at my traditional art.If its banned then fair enough its not my site the only differance it will make to me is it will be harder for me to justify donating as much as I have after all I did pay for one of those harddrives last year but hey thats the way things go.
The whole what is art and what has merit will always be differant for people after all I tried to submit a digital oil painting of a landscape to a gallery and was told that it was not art because it was made on a computer but like I said I just use the site I dont own it

Typhon

Truth be told there is a way you can create basic objects in DAZ, not sure about Poser. So technically if you re-parent them enough and are clever enough, you can build more complicated items in DAZ from scratch.

Also I hate to say it, but DAZ and Poser such is art. The basic definition of art is the ability to create a unique image using what is hand that others can appreciate and enjoy. With both DAZ and Poser, you are putting what you have available to create a image, or artistic piece together that is unique all to yourself.

Given that, lets do the logical thing next.

No one can post up commissions they paid for, or gift art they have received.
Why? They where not the ones that created them. So as they are not the artist, they do not need to take credit for and post the work, even if they are the ones to have paid for or inspired it's creation.

No one can post a photo.
Why? He did not create the image in the photo.

Now as far as it really be considered art. I suggest that first you ask the few hundred if not thousand users of both Renderosity, and Renderotica, even the artzone website. A good amount of them do work in the feild of 3d character art and design, have degrees in those fields, and they all still like to use Poser and DAZ on a normal basis. They would say DAZ & Poser are both artistic mediums like clay, stone, pen, and pencil, even paints.

So in conclusion, given all that I have said, should DAZ and Poser content be banned and removed from FA? Answer is clearly no, for all the reasons posted above.

Mapper

Its a pity that this now an issue, I'm not going to get upset about it. I have several other places to go to that I've been neglecting. Maybe time to bring life back into them.  

AethWolf

I know this is a horribly simplified way of saying it, but...

Why should the medium matter if the content is on topic for the site (anthropomorphic things) and the uploader either created it or has permission to upload it?

Damaratus

Care to join me in my lab?
Mapper said:
Its a pity that this now an issue, I'm not going to get upset about it. I have several other places to go to that I've been neglecting. Maybe time to bring life back into them. I didn't like the VCL and this place is becoming another VCL its a pity. They allow Cub art but now they are going to bitch about Poser and daz.

The discussion is here for the sake of getting opinions, how people feel about this does have some effect on the overall decision. Since Preyfar has started much of this discussion I am still leaving it to him to finish some of his thoughts on the matter, especially with the added input.

I will say this now, to help some people understand. The current AUP is, in part, to control things on the site the way it is in its current iteration. This is based on the space and bandwidth available. These rules are flexible and are still subject to change based what kind of functionality is added to the site over time (e.g. filters, more space, etc.)

Obviously my opinion on poser is different than Preyfar's, and as he stated, part of this is merely his own concept on the matter, not the end all and be all of what will be on the site. That's the benefit of having an administration rather than a single person in control.

As a final point Mapper. The cub issue is old, and thoroughly discussed, it also has nothing to do with this matter and adds nothing to the discussion.

Tensik

Damaratus said:
As a final point Mapper.  The cub issue is old, and thoroughly discussed, it also has nothing to do with this matter and adds nothing to the discussion.

It should be remembered though that the cub matter was one in which many of these "content and legalities" issues were reitterated by the admins.  "Cub art" itself has nothing to do with it, correct, but the staff's rulings on what belongs on the site and what does not is very pertinant to this discussion.  That legal postings (of which DAZ/Poser and their content are) and optional viewing for content that might not be of a viewers primary choice of "art" were stated as justification for site content in the past, the arguments remain the same in this instance as a small factor of consideration.

Edit: also, though I asked people to post here, there's a lot of folks leaving opinions on my journal: http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/152260/

Damaratus

Care to join me in my lab?
Tensik said:
It should be remembered though that the cub matter was one in which many of these "content and legalities" issues were reitterated by the admins. "Cub art" itself has nothing to do with it, correct, but the staff's rulings on what belongs on the site and what does not is very pertinant to this discussion. That legal postings (of which DAZ/Poser and their content are) and optional viewing for content that might not be of a viewers primary choice of "art" were stated as justification for site content in the past, the arguments remain the same in this instance as a small factor of consideration.

Edit: also, though I asked people to post here, there's a lot of folks leaving opinions on my journal: http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/152260/

Thanks for the additional link. My reasoning behind leaving cub artwork out of this discussion is that there was a much greater pressure based on a moral standpoint in terms of the content (in which Poser/DAZ really do not boil down to in this instance). Rather than continue to beat a dead horse, it can be left out of this discussion while still keeping the pertinent points (legality and what is considered artwork) in, especially since this same argument has appeared in the Photobucket thread discussion as well. No reason to try and bring weighted moral debates of that sort into a thread of this nature.

This is, once again, like the Photobucket thread, a question of what is considered artwork. There's a whole lot of opinions on that, and really the best solution is still the one in the makings, which is the ability to filter what you see.

Tensik

Damaratus said:
This is, once again, like the Photobucket thread, a question of what is considered artwork.  There's a whole lot of opinions on that, and really the best solution is still the one in the makings, which is the ability to filter what you see.

I agree completely. And as no other content is being removed from the site because it cannot currently be filtered, it seems a little odd that this one could possibly be based on an "is it art" argument.

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
*tries to figure out why this is even an issue*

It seems to me that the entire point of the re-writing of the AUP/TOS was to limit the amount of *crap* uploaded to the site.
What does it matter what media is used to craft something, just so that there is a certain amount of *creativity* involved?

I can certainly understand not wanting 'generator art' on the site as it chews up resources, but DAZ/Poser art takes effort, thought, and forethought as to the end product.
It's not simply 'choosing a hat, coat, and hair color'.
To me it seems like a hybrid mix of photography and hand drawn art.
What's the problem?
Limit it to regular 'spamming levels' like any other art and let it go.

Is it art? Is a photo or painting of a landscape that already existed art? Is abstract art, art? Is are randomly tosses lines across a page, that randomly form something, art? This is discrimination to even consider it.

I can not draw anymore because of an accident. I am formaly trained in 3D model creation, but hardly have the time to make one with my work. Daz and Poser allow me, and others that might not have said talent to refind skill to be creative, to be a true contributor to the community as a whole, with a good amount of effort. Why are we going to black list individuals and block them from being part of that activity?

I am quite cross that this is even being considered in the slightest. FA is becoming less and less about creativity and community, and turning more and more into what 'we' want to see. Last time I checked, a simple way to solve this is to simply not look at things you do not wish to look at. Why is this concept so hard? More so with flags?

Like Mapper, I avoid Forums in general, so please keep me posted on the flow of the wave.

redfoxnudetoons

Banned
Banned
I'm one of these few people on this website with a degree in digital 3D animation, and I must admit on a personal level I have never seen an image created via Poser that I have considered truly "artistic". That's not meant to be a slam on anybody, but it's the nature of the application. I'm not sure that we have an official stance on the issue yet, however, so do not read my rules as "Dragoneer said it violates the AUP! Burn the heretic!"

Hell. This is crap. I'm a professional Graphic Designer. And I for one have to say that POSER is one of the better 3D programs out there. Having a degree in something does not make anyone an absolute master of that subject.

After all, you have a degree, Dragoneer. Only a ---DEGREE---. Not even a ---DOCTRINE---. until you do, you cannot judge a 3D modeling program. I know of some ---PROFESSORS--- that agree that Poser and DAZ both are great tools for the artist that doesn't have the time or money to 1)buy $5000+ software bundles, and 2)have the 500+ man hours to create a ---GOOD--- 3D model from scratch.

It should also be noted right here that the Furrette and Furraldo models that are commonly used here are available for personal and commercial use.

I personally use it for poses of characters that I think would have a better effect if done in 3D, rather than 2D.

So, I believe the question here is: Is Poser art?

Please, Dragoneer, let's not get into that debate. As some of the famous artists of ancient times have said --- "Art is in the eye of the beholder." What is art to one person is not necessarily art to another person. The people of this site shouldn't have to justify their artistic creations.

I'd like to impact as few people as possible with these while raising the quality standards of the site -- as I am sure any other admin team on this would agree.

So, the 4-year-old drawing, that took less than 4 minutes to draw, stays, while 3D work that has taken hours, days, weeks, even MONTHS gets the ax.

Yup. That's quality standards for you.

If you have any sense at all, you will continue as before and allow Poser/DAZ work to stay. After all, there are many ---TALENTED--- artists on your site that use Poser/DAZ. Why get rid of such great works?

ShujinTribble

As I understand it, the FA Administration is gathering opinions on deciding what medium is valid, or not, for FA. As someone who's normal artistic medium is leather, I'm going to chime in as well.

There is already a number of different mediums being used by FA 'Artists' - Clay, markers, pencils, crayons, watercolors, oil paints, sound recording programs, digital painting programs... cameras bring pictures of fur suiters and cons to us all. Any one of these creative systems could be judged to be invalid on one basis or another by someone using a different medium or none at all.

During college when I was studying to be a music teacher, I was given something to think about by my conducting teacher. He said, "The whole purpose of music is to evoke an emotion; Joy or sorrow or wonderment or terror. That's what Good Music does. It TALKS to you and you remember it like an old friend years and years later." So, too, does art, no matter how its created.

If the discussion is, "Should medium XYZ be allowed based on $criteria?", then you have to take a step back and ask "What is the final product?"

Who would have thought that a bunch of left over PVC pipe or a broken-down piano or a simple broom would be worthwhile musical instruments? The Blue Man Group and Art Of Noise and Stomp, respectively, did. They used those obviously NOT musical instruments, and were able to make combinations of arbitrary sounds with them into popular, catchy, desired music. Canons are not musical instruments, but we've all heard them as part of the 1812 Overture and never complained that they're not musical. Ditto electronic synthesizers instead of pianos.... Or a Theremin being used for the smooth sound behind The Beach Boy's hit, 'Good Vibrations'.

The medium is not and Should Not be the issue - the End Product should be. 3D artists may be a small percentage of the posters here, but their creations are just as valid as an oil painter's.

...thank you for your time and consideration.

Quaidis

I'm confused on why this is even a discussion. Poser (I haven't experienced Daz first hand yet) is nothing like some random character card generator you yank off a pokemon website. You have to put creativity to work to make anything resemble a good 3d picture. And I've seen absolutely brilliant designs done with Poser, combined with other programs and not, along with one specific animation that I can't find at the moment of a dragon.

Saying Poser is like a generic character generator is like saying MAYA is a generic character generator as that's also a 3d art program, and I'll be damned to see something even remotely like Maya put against the rules of FA.

Yes, I will agree that many artists make their characters or ideas blocky at first, with arms outstretched in the classic poser pose. But that, to me, is like the artist just starting out with drawing 2d art that's missing half the appendages and always looking left or right. And saying you can't use poser or a program like it as an intended art medium because people start off that way is like saying you can't do an n'th of sketched or doodled art because all artists start out that way. It's also like banning all of photography because people post pictures of nudity and photobucket-type crap.

That's my take on it. I think testing the boundries on an entire art medium (or program) that isn't as popular as others and thinking it should be completely put as a 'nope' in the FA rules is going too far.

LoranSkunky

It's a tool just like any other and just because he's not impressed by what he sees does not mean that it's an invalid means of creating artwork. What about Painter? And Photoshop? Doesn't Photoshop have Filters? Are you always impressed by those?

Back when I was teaching 3d, we would start off with Bryce 3d before going into Max simply because it was good feedback for the high school I was at. Students could see the results and really got a nice hold on the basic of 3d before hitting up the more advanced programs. I also see some art posted here that used DAZ for backgrounds. Would those get banned as well?

People also like it because it's easy to use for them and while there are a number of models you can download and tweak, it still takes sometime to get the look that you want. Remember that using Maya, Max or XSI are expensive (and lots of time to learn) and just because they are out there doesn't mean that they are the only way to make 3d. (See Blender)

Swampwulf

Verbose Senior Bitch
Several good points just above me.
Will the 'next step' be to ban graphical art created using Photoshop/ArtRage/Ect because you're using brushes that come with the software, or 'creating them' by adjusting a few sliders provided in the program?

I tinkered with Poser a while back, tried to make a rudimentary character out of it...hell, I even tried using the existing characters to make a single generic scene. Guess what? I failed miserably. Y'know why? I didn't have the knowledge I needed to make things on Poser work the way I wanted them to. Calling Poser or DAZ a character generator is like calling Photoshop or MS Paint a color by number program; it's a grossly inaccurate exaggeration.

I'm sorry, but I must agree with everyone else here that you are completely out of your gourd, Dragoneer; it's not up to you solely to determine whether or not a certain medium made with a certain program is art. If you remove any and all art created with Poser or DAZ (which, really, how can you tell if a 3D image or animation is, if the artist doesn't mention it?), then you might as well remove my custom Yugioh cards off of here, since they were made from a template, and under the rules you're setting with those other programs, anything made from a template is automatically out.

While we're on the subject, if Poser and DAZ are on the chopping block, then why isn't Second Life screen caps on there, as well? It's essentially a huge interactive MMO Poser sandbox, and most of the characters in the pics aren't even created from scratch; their pieces are BOUGHT from OTHER PEOPLE and slapped together, or sometimes bought wholesale with little to no tweaking. If anything, SL is an even BIGGER "character generator" than Mr. Dragoneer is purporting Poser and DAZ to be.

Seriously, you've got the anti-spamming rules in place, LEARN TO ENFORCE THEM BETTER instead of trying to curtail it through censorship, because I guarantee you it will never work, and will result in a LOT Of people leaving here because of it. You don't want to be accused of becoming another y!gallery, do you?

redfoxnudetoons

Banned
Banned
And then, while your add it, BAN ALL ARTWORK, BECAUSE POSES CAME FROM ANOTHER SOURCE.

Then there will be nothing left, and everything will be compliant to the no pre-made rules, and you will have no website at all...

stripedfox

I am sincerely hoping that FA does not gradually become a snooty art site, where only the best of the best may reside.

On top of that I also hope they decide not to ban these 3D artistic mediums based on software, I myself have enjoyed viewing work created by Poser and DAZ.

They, at least to me, count as a valid form of artwork.

-
SFC

redfoxnudetoons

Banned
Banned
stripedfox said:
I am sincerely hoping that FA does not gradually become a snooty art site, where only the best of the best may reside.

I agree. VCL already had done that.

OH YEAH!

VCL, the MOST SNOOTY art gallery around, has renderings from POSER/DAZ!

You have to submit 3-5 peices of aftwork to be ---CONCIDERED--- for the website.

I was accepted using my Poser works.

Just look for yourself!

http://us.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/RedFox-Nightfox/

I was accepted into the SNOOTIEST gallery, with POSER images!

If they take it, why is it even a question here?

Zeis

I take SL screencaps. I'll freely admit that they don't require the same level of effort as a Poser rendering or a digitally-colored picture but at least I try to express something and try to create something that's beautiful. I don't really see how it's all that different from photography. You can pick up a disposable camera and snap shots of yourself and and your friends fooling around, and you can also take an expensive digital SLR and take well-composed and beautiful photographs. That's what I try to do.

I don't really know what else to say here...

Wolfblade

Can we please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, avoid slippery-slope arguments?

Unless I am missing it, which I could be, it's late; poser is not currently banned in the AUP. There was talk of whether or not it should be. We're hearing some people who feel it doesn't belong, and obviously there are others who feel it does. This discussion will be MUCH more productive if people could please

A: remember we are hearing pros and cons for a POTENTIAL decision, not something we have actually enacted yet, and even regarding the rules we HAVE enacted, there is still always potential for change. Kindly refrain from villifying the site for something that hasn't even happened.

and

B: Please, if you do disagree with something we have actually done, and feel the need to criticize for that, try to keep it civil. And if at all possible, keep the criticism limited to what we HAVE done as opposed to remarks along the lines of "well, if you did that then you might as well ban this, and then you should just ban that, and then you've banned all artwork and don't let anybody post anything at all, way to go you jerks."

One of the BIGGEST difficulties with trying to improve this site is that ANY change is met with resistance from someone. It is VERY difficult to try and obtain user opinion and input BEFORE a change when even mentioning a MAYBE change in the future gets people angry and upset at us as if we had already enacted the change and every single slippery-slope potential change people believe will stem from it.

We want to make this place better. We need the help of you, the users. If people are going to insist that we are the bad guys no matter what, and anything we do short of making this site a completely open free imagehost (not gonna happen) gets us animosity and villification, it makes it INCREDIBLY difficult to be up front and honest with everyone with ideas we have for the future. We want to get peoples' opinions on changes we might want to make. But you all have to understand that when EVERY "hey we're thinking about...." gets angry holy hell rained down on us, it makes it less appealing to announce potential changes.

DarkMeW

Ok Let me try and present as much as a well rounded view on this particular issue or at least thought out.

The basic concept here is does Poser and DAZ type created content qualify as an 'originally' created piece of art. In this thread there has been several misdirections and misconceptions related to the main issue. One is, what qualifies as art or artistic merit is completely subjective, which is not true. Using the 'actual' definition of art the common things defining it is it's created according to 'aesthetic principles' and that it is using the skills and/or techniques of art, and adding to this the fact it has to qualify as original content, the piece must show that the principles of 'art' has been applied. This is why generators are not allowed and photography is. A generator does not apply any original artistic principles only already created ones, while scenery for a photo or painting (which was brought up earlier) may already be in existence, it is still up to the artist to interpret and apply artistic principles such as add lighting, composition, color, etc. So it is the artist's interpretations of the subject that makes the artwork. This is why snap shot type images are often not allowed in many artistic web sites, because there was little to no application of the artistic principles applied in creating it.

Now to define what of Poser and DAZ does and does not qualify as originally created content you have to keep in mind several factors. (please read in it’s entirety before getting your panties in a wad, since every part of what I presenting is connected)

First is the thing that defines their applications, the generator concept. Even though they are considerably more complicated, they still rely on being generators, even though you can control a greater number of variables they are still already created concepts (the only difference is the complication in the programing.) Programs like Photoshop are different because they still rely on artistic interpretations and the principles of art to create the work, despite the fact there are filters in Photoshop the filters are meaningless unless applied correctly to created content (there is no 'create good artwork' filter in Photoshop.) Both programs rely on already created content, which is the main selling point brought up for BOTH, from their respected companies. They are sold as not only 3D tools but as libraries of pre-existing content that you can manipulate. This is the heart of it being a generator, no matter how much variables are added to tweak the existing content it does not rely on it being ordinally created or any thought towards artistic principles.

Now on to the second part, what of Poser and DAZ does qualify as originally created content. One is what is built into the program, a creation tool. It allows you to create the original content, from original textures to figures and landscapes. This isn't like loading already created content and then alter, so in part it gets rid of the 'not original content' part of the restriction. Now on to the second part, artistic merit. Just creating something and then posting a bunch of images would still not qualify it as a piece of art. What that would be akin to is snap shot images from a camera. You still have to apply 'aesthetic principles' to the model, so there has to be obvious thought given to artistic concepts in the final rendition of creation.

So it's a matter of how the programs are used, not if they are used. Both can be used as generators, no matter how much you tweak, it's still using it as a generator. However, you can still use them (especially in conjunction with other programs) to create original content and then apply artistic principles to it to create what could not be considered a generator image and not snap shoot images of your created content. Being the fact that both programs selling points and major use is already created content that you can then tweak, it is perfectly reasonable that they would not be allowed, even though I don't think that rule should be absolute. Instead I would recommend something like...

Use of 3D software that relies on pre-existing or altered content (no matter to what extent) violates the 'By You' created content of the AUP. The artist must show not only original concept in creation of 3D models, they must express the application of artistic principles and fore thought to each generated image uploaded. Snap shot type images of even original 3D model concepts are not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.