• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Post an album, I will listen to it and rate it /10

aqxsl

Brain Emo
Sorry for the way late response people (had an terribly busy week); but rest assured I have been listening to your recommendations. The albums have had some time to sink in, so no bullshit here.

Lez do this (beware, incoming wall of text; more coming soon):

M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming:

Rating 4/10

This is case-in-point, the Pitchfork-brand electronic that I just can't get into. I'm sorry to say this man, I felt like this album was mostly derivative and unoriginal; pretty much a culmination of many electronic, indie, and post-rock cliches.

Favorite song = New Map (especially the ending)
1) Some of the melodies are just great; totally exciting and uplifiting
2) Although overused, love the 80's electro vibe.

Dislikes:
Least favorite song = Raconte-Moi Une Histoire
1) Don't know if you listen to much post-rock, but several songs in this album (Intro, Wait, My Tears Are Becoming a Sea, Year One One UFO) remind me of a trend that kind of ruined the genre for me. The trend being, every band feels the need to cram an "epically beautiful" build-up/climax into every song. Since this became the norm, post-rock has hit rock bottom after a delluge of formulaic and substanceless melodrama. In this vein, "Wait" would have been good had they not gone overboard with the ending.
2) Several filler tracks (1+min interludes, Echoes of Mine,...) and song structures/melodies used over and over again (could of sworn Steve McQueen and Claudia Lewis were the same song, maybe intentional?).
3) This may sound pretty bitchy, but I have beef with artists that use samples of "kid talk" without purpose (ie Raconte-Moi Une Histoire). First I heard this was with Boards of Canada in Music Has The Right to Children and ever since seems like "pop-oriented" tronic artists have a collective hard-on for basing throwaway songs around samples of children speaking (Four Tet's No More Mosquitos comes to mind, ugh).

David Maxim Micic - Bilo 2.0

Rating 6.5/10

In terms of djent, this is pretty damn good; but I have to admit Demensa, I not huge on the genre. I've expressed this before, but I think a lot of metal bands (especially djent bands) exchange technicality for substance, hence you get boring-ass bands like Behold...The Arctopus; but when the technical and substance combine, then its typically amazing. I think this album leans towards the combo, but its not quite there.

1) Disgustingly good shredding in some songs (Rise and Shine, Strange Night)
2) Really liked the electronics in the first two tracks; Electric Fields is unique because of it. Reminds me of the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack, which kicks a$$
Dislikes:
Least favorite song = Mbinguni Amina
1) Several aimless or directionless riffs/melodies (the piano in Strange Night was driving me nuts)

Grendel - Timewave: Zero

Rating 7.5/10

You are playing to my cyberpunk sensibilities here and I like that. EBM is a guily pleasure of mine, since from my dabbling, maybe 5% of it isn't shit. More often than not, I'm cringing at the vocals/lyrics, but occasionally I really get into it if the bleak cyberpunk vibe is there (an example being Pattern Recognition from Headscan). Aside from one or two songs, the vibe is there my friend.
1) Cyberpunk as fuck (especially moments in Timewave Zero and Wheels in Motion)
2) Love the glitched-out robo vocals

Dislikes:
Least favorite song = EPR // EDP, Neon City Nights
1) Had some brief moments of EBM terribleness, but for the most part, it was pure enjoyment
2) Didn't like the cheesy epic moments (ie Rise, Neon City Nights and Fall)
3) The female vocals in Deep Water were standard and subpar

Quick question, you ever hear Access To Arasaka? I'd consider this man to be the non-ebm pinnacle of cyberpunk vibe-ry, check it out:
[video=youtube;8QsQxigk620]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QsQxigk620[/video]
Got any more cyberpunk stuff for me?

Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards

Rating 7/10

Good call! This is a prog album I've had for many years but neglected to listen to. Overall, it was so much like Deep Purple that I just couldn't help but find it derivative. The surprising shame of prog imo is the tendency for bands to copy the sounds of "progenitor prog artists", completely defeating the idea of progressive music (so many Genesis clones & don't get me started on "progressive metal"); I think Uriah Heep "influences" are pretty conspicuous in this album. Heep's Salisbury is much > this, you agree?

1) Seems like the epic always makes the album for more "obscure" prog records; this was a good epic.
2) Love the fantasy concept

Dislikes:
Least favorite song = All My Life
1) All but three songs were kind of boring (Traveler in Time, Rainbow Demon, Paradise/The Spell); songs with a none-too-exciting Deep Purple riff repeated over-and-over with bland vocals. Made everything feel kind of sterile and safe, you know?
Have you listened to Argus by Wishbone Ash? I feel like it's really similar but far more interesting.

Mark Lanegan - Whiskey For The Holy Ghost

Rating 6.75/10

Whoa, this is pretty far from the stuff I generally like, but I went in with an open mind. Musically, I wasn't a fan of the grungy-blues sound; but lyrically it was pretty potent to say the least. I'm torn since some tracks were either fantastic or really bad; no in-between. Might have to listen again, this album could having growing potential, but I'm not sure...

Favorite song = Borracho, the most emotionally powerful track imo
1) Good lyrical content. The vocals range from really great (gritty and Tom Waits-y) to annoying (kind of Pearl Jam-ly)
2) Some tracks are very good, like Riding the Nightingale, Beggar's Blues, Borracho, The River Rise.

Dislikes:
Least favorite song = El Sol
1) Boring, sappy songs that fit the profile of your standard blues-rock fare (House a Home, El Sol, Dead On You, ...); these REALLY brought down the listening experience
2) The album art is dumb

Big Black - Songs About Fucking:

Rating 8.5/10

The lofi noiseness immediately sucked me in, and for the most part it was a bitching listen. I was absolutely cranking this on my sound system; can't really imagine listening to it any other way than crushingly loud. The whole experience makes me want to see them live fur sher; and I'll likely put the album in my rotation. Unfortunately I can't comment so much on individual tracks cuz I couldn't find the mp3s :(

Favorite song = the one where his vocals sound like indecipherable screams filtered through a megaphone (around midway through the album, might be Ergot)
1) The fuking immense cavernous reverb on everything sounded so good. Adds much to the abrasiveness and power of the experience; dear lord those drums are heavy.
2) Super raw; felt like I was at a live show.
3) For what it's worth, the only band I can think of that has a similar sound is Butthole Surfers; this is better tho

Dislikes:
Least favorite song = The Model; never liked Kraftwerk and this cover is nothing special
1) Some tracks were hit or miss (Bad Penny, both covers, two more with names I don't know)

Overall, really liked it but it's not amongst the greatest things I've heard

Tool - Lateralus

Rating 7/10

You know, Tool is pretty good, but hardly obscure. I've already heard this album, heck we've all heard this album; so I'm not going to go into it. I will say tho, probably one of, if not the only, decent music to see airtime on popular "hard rock" radio stations (at least where I'm at).

Traven V

Luna-tic.
Album of the same name, I like it, I'm actually in love with Metric and the lead singer and I'm not even straight (or am I o_O?!?) maybe that makes me bisexual or maybe love doesn't necessarily involve sex :/ maybe I think to much XD
[video=youtube_share;gOTjqYq7uKA]http://youtu.be/gOTjqYq7uKA[/video]

I also highly recommend Death Cab for Cutie: Codes and keys if you haven't yet

Tissemand

Random furfag
Pick one (or all, if you wish):
[Prog rock-ish] In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson
[Prog/alt rock] Deadwing by Porcupine Tree
[Post rock/almost ambient] Ágætis byrjun by Sigur Rós

I usually like prog metal and prog death, but I think those are my personal 10/10 worthy albums.

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
I not huge on the genre.
I can understand. Thanks for stopping me before I post more XD
It does sound like you actually might like the original Bilo more, although I can never be sure.
I do think however that Behold the Arctopus is an excellent band, not because their music is terribly emotionally moving, but simply because of how explosive and technical it sounds. I do listen in moderation only and it can get tiring.
Of course that is just my opinion and I have only REALLY gotten into music recently.
Other than that, I have pretty much nothing for you except for beauty in the beast...

Takun

Wof Wof Wof Wof Wof
Oh boy I'm winning. Yes that was Ergot. c:

Entertainment%21.jpg

One of my favorites here. :3c

Zelazowa - Elephants on a Mousehunt

DJ Okawari - Kaleidoscope

Danimal Cannon - Roots

Silversun Pickups - Pikul

I realize that the last one isn't exactly obscure, but it's one of my favorites.

aqxsl

Brain Emo
Welp, been a while...hee hee oops; grad school sux, forgive me. Thanks for the recs so far, u guys are the BEST! :D

Anyways, I've absorbed most of the albums and formed some opinions. Overall we got some really great stuff. CHECK IT!

Mogwai - Mr. Beast:
Rating 7.0/10
Damn good. I'd only heard Happy Songs For Happy People before this and didn't love it, thus I was misguided going in; Mr. Beast is much better. Definitely dig the pastoral vibe found in the majority of songs (slide guitar + synth = awesome), of which I think is a sound that makes them relatively unique amongst post-rockers. On the other hand, the songs tend to fit the post-rock song structure mould pretty closely; so there weren't any tracks that blew me away. The mould isn't terrible, I've just gotten sick of it; hence I feel like I've listened to most of these songs before, they just have a somewhat different "sound" to them. Overall, good recommendation; will probably listen to again at some point. Thanks!
Favorite songs: I Chose Horses (most memorable) and Acid Food

mewithoutYou - Ten Stories:

Rating 7.5/10
Wow, these guys influences are pretty apparent; Fox's Dream of The Log Flume sounds like it's straight off of The Moon and Antarctica. Each song felt a little "too" influenced by something, but this something was different for each one; hence I liked the fact that they didn't hold back in experimenting with different sounds to create ten "individual" stories. So all the songs are good, albeit not immensely original; but at the same time the album felt unique since all the tracks were so unalike one another, ya know? As a full-album, I liked it a lot; but each song was only "good". Except for Cardiff Giant, holy shit i can't stop listening to it.
Favorite songs: Cardiff Giant

Nooumena - Argument With Eagerness
Rating 8.0/10
Hands down the most obscure album posted, so thanks for that. When it comes down to it though, the album came off as a more half-assed Kayo Dot mixed with Ved Buens Ende tbh. A lot of cool avant-gardeness and occultish-ness but only a handful of times where it really pays off (ie the ending of Taedium Vitae, hoo boy). Good stuff, but relative to Maudlin of The Well/Kayo Dot it doesn't blow me. Definitely what I look for when in terms of metal though.
Favorite songs: Taedium Vitae, Le Plouc, I'll throw in Somehow too

Don McLean - American Pie
Rating 10/10
Don McLean, Fugg 'em

Koenji Hyakkei - Hundred Sights of Koenji

Rating 9.5/10
Aw shit, Demensa's into Zeuhl? You are the man!! This is the only Koenji Hyakkei LP I haven't heard and it's fucking fantastic (quite possbily my favorite from them now). From beginning to end it had me laughing my ass off, and in my mind, only truly phenomenonal albums can do that. Avante-garde stuff that doesn't take itself seriously is easily the best stuff. Just a few questions, am you a fan of Magma? Also, in the vein of absurdism in music, you ever dabble in noise?
Favorite Songs: Gepek!!! and Loss (had me rofling), Molavena (for kicking my ass), Yagonahn, fuck it they're all awesome; best recommendation yet

Orkidea - 20
Rating 5.0/10
I could probably get into this at a show/club, but not so much for casual music absorbtion. Pacifique was pretty good, but for the most part, trance has just kind of blended together into the same four-on-the-floor track to me.

Frank Zappa - Joes Garage
Rating 9.25/10
My #4 Zappa album containing my favorite Zappa song (ie Watermelon in Easter Hay). Beautiful and brutally hilarious stuff; love the gay Sy-Borg golden shower scenario.

King Crimson - ITCOTCK
Rating 10/10
Agreed, timeless and immensely influential music; probably the album that got me into "music". All I can say is, if you haven't heard this, you're a pleb (jk or ami?).

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Rating 7.0/10
Hmm, I do like the album, but the only tracks that have really "stuck" with me over the years are Lazarus and Arriving Somewhere But Not Here. In retrospect, I think Signify might be my favorite Porcupine Tree album; feel like it has the best vibe.

Sigur Ros - Agaetus Byrjun
Rating 8.0/10
This album isn't as potent as it once was (probably just my general post-rock malaise), but I did pretty thoroughly enjoy it for some time. Gotta commend them as being amongst the progenitors of the sound, especially this album. Staraflur in the Life Aquatic is one of my favorite movie moments ever.

Still need to listen to Gang of Four (of which I'm pumped for), Stratto Hawk's shit, and Demensa's other stuff (I need Wendy Carlos bro!); oh and some classical stuff. In the mean time, I'm sure there's been some new discoveries and I have yet to find an unlistened to 10/10; so HOOK ME UP! Maybe I'll respond, who knows!?

Zerig

So Graceful and Phallic
Banned
My personal favorite album ever,

[video=youtube;u_Y91UVPM-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Y91UVPM-4[/video]

Traven V

Luna-tic.
Modest Mouse: The Moon and Antarctica
Prepare to be enlightened :p

[video=youtube_share;OP1IVNVS5bI]http://youtu.be/OP1IVNVS5bI[/video]

Demensa

Aw shit, Demensa's into Zeuhl? You are the man!! This is the only Koenji Hyakkei LP I haven't heard and it's fucking fantastic (quite possbily my favorite from them now). From beginning to end it had me laughing my ass off, and in my mind, only truly phenomenonal albums can do that. Avante-garde stuff that doesn't take itself seriously is easily the best stuff. Just a few questions, am you a fan of Magma? Also, in the vein of absurdism in music, you ever dabble in noise?
Favorite Songs: Gepek!!! and Loss (had me rofling), Molavena (for kicking my ass), Yagonahn, fuck it they're all awesome; best recommendation yet
Well, sadly I have yet to start listening to magma (I know, I probably should have started off with them, before moving to ruins, etc.), but I have very high hopes! I haven't listened to much noise either, so maybe you could set me on a path for that as well. And I have to ask; Do you like math rock in general?

Bread

listen to Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
this is the self titled track
it's a drone/ambient album, very dark and strangely soothing.
[video=youtube;AvEm3a20Yc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvEm3a20Yc4[/video]

Kennin

The excitable one
I know this makes me weeaboo as all hell, but I LOVE Kawakita Saruin from Maximum the Hormone. There isn't one song on that album that I don't like.

Earth Rio

It isn't butter?!
Nightwish's album, 'Century Child', is one of my personaly favourites. The only song on there which I don't listen to often is 'Forever Yours', but I find it overly slow.

Hir

my name is lucifer, pleased to meet you.
the evpatoria report - golevka

1591786380-1.jpg

aqxsl

Brain Emo
Crap forgot to respond to some of your comments Demensa.

I absolutely understand teh perspective of liking Behold the Arctopus for the sake of their explosive technicality, and I know many metalheads who feel the same. That aspect of the genre never clicked for me I guess; shredding just seems "empty". Maybe it's because I'm always looking for a vibe; hence, why I gravitate towards Black Metal in the genre; it's typically techinicaly unimpressive, but the atmosphere can be immense. The guys from Behold The Arctopus have a side-project called Infidel?/Castro! that I really dig; it's the perfect medium of technicality and vibe. Have you heard it? Here's a link no matter what:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGbb12eTdoI&feature=related

Also, I enjoy math rock; vibey math rock that is. In general, sure math rock is ridiculously technical; I just thrive on music that gives me a hard-hitting emotional response (aka vibey). No reason that something really technical can't also be potent. Maybe that's where our perspectives are different; seems like an emotional response for you might come from these moments of insane virtuosity.

Here's what I've fully absorbed so far, good stuff again!

Gang Of Four - Entertainment!

Rating 8.0/10.0
Another damn good album suggestion; how have I never heard these? Above all, loved the guitar on this. Even though a lot of the songs were a bit straightforward, they were substantially twisted with that weird-ass playing style and hence became unique/unsettling. Also, the funk in some spots caught me off-guard. So there we're a lot of moments where I started getting a little bored, but something always came up that made get interested again. My fave track is either Guns Before Butter for the guitar beatdown or Anthrax for that sweet fuzznezz. Think I liked Big Black more, but I'll have to listen to this again to be sure.

DJ Owakari - Kaleidoscope

Rating 3.0/00001010
What is this, J-Pop? This is just too safe...

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Rating 9.5/ten
Oh, I've been enlightened by this long ago bro. Just a tremendous album and one that got me interested in darker/bleaker music. Isacc's lyrics have always resonanted with me, and the song you posted in particular is one that hits me hard. Life Like Weeds and The Stars Are Projects also destroy me. Thanks for posting this album; shame I've heard it a countless number of times.

Feist - Metals

Rating 6.0/0xa
Eh...everything that I expected. Woman sings melancholy songs with a variety of your standard accompaniments. Not necessarily "bad", but just boring with some occasional compelling moments. I can see how someone could have an emotional response to this...

Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling

Rating log_2(724)/log_2(1024)
Wow alright, liked this even more than the last one (maybe I'd better give Happy Songs another chance now :D). I think this one strayed further from the post-rock cliches that I have so much beef with and again I LOVED the pastoral-ness of it. The whole experienced was much more low-key/subdued and consequently put me in a state of deep relaxation (expect for batcat, which was RAD-ically heavy). I'd easily say it's some of the better/best post-rock I've heard. Thank You Space Expert was really, really fantastic; so goddamn tranquil (prob my favorite Mogwai track). Will listen again, if not strictly for this track. Thanks dude.

Demensa

Crap forgot to respond to some of your comments Demensa.

I absolutely understand teh perspective of liking Behold the Arctopus for the sake of their explosive technicality, and I know many metalheads who feel the same. That aspect of the genre never clicked for me I guess; shredding just seems "empty". Maybe it's because I'm always looking for a vibe; hence, why I gravitate towards Black Metal in the genre; it's typically techinicaly unimpressive, but the atmosphere can be immense. The guys from Behold The Arctopus have a side-project called Infidel?/Castro! that I really dig; it's the perfect medium of technicality and vibe. Have you heard it? Here's a link no matter what:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGbb12eTdoI&feature=related

Also, I enjoy math rock; vibey math rock that is. In general, sure math rock is ridiculously technical; I just thrive on music that gives me a hard-hitting emotional response (aka vibey). No reason that something really technical can't also be potent. Maybe that's where our perspectives are different; seems like an emotional response for you might come from these moments of insane virtuosity.

I know what you mean as well, with the whole idea of emotionally charged songs being preferable to 'mindless' shredding. It reminds me of the split between fans of Yngwie Malmsteen (myself included) and people who dismiss his music as "soulless shredding".
I think it's just that I've only been 'really' listening to music for a few years and everything all still seems new to me, as well as my perspective as a guitarist, so I tend towards guitar-oriented music. I'm also usually drawn to more fast paced, or catchy chord changes and harmonies; which is the reason I stay away from Bullet For My Valentine but enjoy Avenged Sevenfold (I know, don't judge me XD).
Don't get me wrong; I enjoy all sorts of non-catchy, slow music of all genres and instruments, but I'm only just beginning to fully appreciate the idea that less can often mean more in music.

Oh, and I almost forgot! That side project of Behold The Arctopus sounds really neat from what I heard in the link.