• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Prefered horror games

Koriekraiz13

kleptomaniac for knowledge
What kind of horror games do you like?
Post what's your favourite
Maybe by creepiness or how good the game actually is if I had to say, scp containment breach, last year the nightmare and fnaf

Kinare

RAWR
Psychological horror is the only type that does anything to me, so that's my fav. Best when you can't actually kill whatever enemies exist, all you can do is dodge them, you're legit helpless which adds to the fear. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is my favorite there. Not only is the story creepy af, but the baddies that chase you can't be killed and you have to deal with constant sanity drain which makes things even more spoopy. I've never played it, but Layers if Fear was fun to watch and I want to play it through myself some time. I'm also looking forward to trying out Visage when it comes out.

Koriekraiz13

kleptomaniac for knowledge
Psychological horror is the only type that does anything to me, so that's my fav. Best when you can't actually kill whatever enemies exist, all you can do is dodge them, you're legit helpless which adds to the fear. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is my favorite there. Not only is the story creepy af, but the baddies that chase you can't be killed and you have to deal with constant sanity drain which makes things even more spoopy. I've never played it, but Layers if Fear was fun to watch and I want to play it through myself some time. I'm also looking forward to trying out Visage when it comes out.
If you like games with enemies you can't kill, try dark deceptions it's terrifiying yet cool at the same time

xremeidiot

Friendly Red-Backed Butcher-Birb Boi
I have yet to complete system shock 2. Too scary.

RossTheRottie

Movie Buff, Aquascapist, Hack Writer
Survival Horror is my all-time favorite genre of games, hands down.
Other genres of horror may be more unsettling or more frightening, but nothing compares to the fear of a death that would have you retreading a full two hours of the game, or blast your speedrun to smithereens. Really gets the blood pumping. One of the problems with the horror genres though is that they tend to overlap, so a lot of Survival Horror games cross-over.
The Resident Evil core series is essentially the yardstick I use to measure other Survival Horror titles. Eternal Darkness also was quite good--how did the GameCube get so many excellent games it really had no business having? Dead Space is one of my all-time favorites and I would argue that the Silent Hill series counts also. Dino Crisis too, almost forgot that one.

Rayd

philosophy & psychology nerd
psychological horror games are the best imo, specifically ones that are based around a protagonist's mental health, such as Cry of Fear. there's just so many creative directions you can go and so many different ways of interpreting mental illnesses in the spotlight of horror.

my favorite kind of horror media involves very common (or not so common), very real problems that are given a physical body to be afraid of.

so, yeah, surprisingly enough, a cheap indie game made in the valve engine happens to be one of my favorite horror games. go figure.

WXYZ

No longer using this site
I don't play horror games in general. In fact, the only one I've played with much interest was OFF. It ground me down slowly until a shock attack by bears, near the end of the game, made me scream.

D

Deleted member 82554

Games like Alan Wake, The Suffering, F.E.A.R. Outlast, The Darkness, Bioshock and the underrated Spec Ops: The Line are my style.

Trevorbluesquirrel

I really like Spooky's House of Jumpscares, now called Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion!

James and Mike sure got scared!

And its free on Steam, so no risk of wasting your cash if you don't like it!

Keefur

aka Cutter Cat
The ultimate psychological horror game? Chess. Pure intellect... no where to hide.

real time strategist

"What's an airport, again?"
I'm really interested in horror games, but i'm way too scared to play them. the past few years I have collected Silent Hill 1-4 but haven't gotten very far in any of them, I also have resi remake, resi 4 (if you could call it horror), and resi 2 remake, which I have been able to get a lot farther in. So idk, maybe one day i'll get there, but not yet.

Mr. Fox briefly mentioned the Bioshock series, and I want to go off on that because it’s one of the best games series in my opinion. Bioshock 1 is one of the best games in general, with excellent mechanics, setting, and story. And sure, it’s scary enough I guess, but the game itself just kicks ass. Bioshock 2 is good, but definitely not as good as the first (still worth playing though). Bioshock Infinite is my favorite out of the three, although I wouldn’t call it horror. I could ramble about the games all day but I’ll spare everyone.

C

CrookedCroc

I don't play a lot of horror stuff mostly because those games then to be pretty limiting on what you can do in order to keep you vulnerable but there's a handful of horror games that I like, most of them I like them because of the atmosphere, enemies and sound design.

The ones I like are Silent hill 3, Fatal Frame, Darkwood and (don't know if it counts as horror) Harvester

Foxex

3D Charcter Artist
the all time best survival horror games you will ever play, fantastic story, excellent themes and symbolism, amazing atmosphere

Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 on the original PS 1 and 2
(Not the HD collection though, avoid those like the plague)

Fitch_Tiger

The one and only.
I have always enjoyed horror games, Silent Hill and Resident Evil franchises, FNAF, Until Dawn...

I generally stick to survival horror but some other stuff can be fun.

Firuthi Dragovic

Gamer Dragon, former speedrunner
I've said it before around here - horror games proper are unfortunately not my cup of tea. At least, not the ones that have you helpless to stop it - as in your Penumbras and your Amnesias and the like. Scary platformers are also not my usual wheelhouse.

It's actually not so much the actual fear that gets me though - my actual fear regarding the games is extremely muted. I play games to escape and feel powerful, and to keep up my reaction and quick logic skills. Most of the "helpless" horror games are too slow for me - and when I tried playing Amnesia: Dark Descent a long time ago and set the environment for maximum scare factor.... I wasn't scared. Like, at ALL. It was disappointing.

Give me a scary shooter any day of the week. The Evil Within was a good romp for me. Dead Space would have worked if it wasn't EA. Never did finish Clive Barker's Undying, though I should.

Resident Evil 2 (the original, not the remake) was one of my first 3D games, so there's that. Never got far that time though.

I might also be able to handle scary RPGs. Always wanted to play the LISA series, and might also try OFF one of these times.

Kuwamochi

snot buble
I like psyche horror, but those sort of fridge horror type games are really good too. Like the LISA series as mentioned above, or those that the horror is more so over some sort of tragedy than a fight for survival.

But I do like a good frollic through Silent Hill or Resident Evil somtimes.