• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

*Prepares for raging fanboys*

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!
Yeah, so... Nintendo officially announced today that Mother 2 (AKA Earthbound) will likely NEVER be released on Wii's Virtual Console. The reason why is because claims have been made that certain songs in the game bear resemblance to certain liscensed songs (ex. The naming screen featuring a sound clip from the theme of "Monty Python's Flying Circus"). When bringing up the suggestion of altering the music, Nintendo Of Japan stated that they would have no such thing. So... yeah.

Rifter

Perpetuating the Stereotype
That's fine, I got to play Mother 3 in English. Nintendo can have their soccer moms and elderly people, I'll be over here not giving a damn.

Kangamutt

Except that the theme to Monty Python's Flying Circus is public domain.

The Monty Python theme music is The Liberty Bell, a march by John Philip Sousa, which was chosen among other reasons because the recording was in the public domain.

Last edited:

Dayken

*current user title*
I can live with Earthbound never being on the VC (thank you emulation!), but what pisses me off is that they came up with such an absurd excuse.

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned

So in other words Nintendo just didn't want to spend even the minimal costs of porting it to virtual console and hoped people would be idiots and not realize this. Well, they did buy about a dozen Gameboys, two Gamecubes and going on what, three DS's now?

FAIL

Kangamutt

So in other words Nintendo just didn't want to spend even the minimal costs of porting it to virtual console and hoped people would be idiots and not realize this. Well, they did buy about a dozen Gameboys, two Gamecubes and going on what, three DS's now?

FAIL

Pretty much.

That or the execs are too stupid/lazy/what-have-you to do a little homework.

TwilightV

HELL YEAH!!!

That was just one example. Other supposed pieces include "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who, the theme of "The Little Rascals", and even "The Star Spangled Banner".

So far anyone's kinda "meh" <_< and that makes me laugh.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
meh, doesnt really bother me.
the only downloadable game im currently waiting for is the cavestory wiiware port/remake/whatever^^

Kuekuatsheu

aw too bad

this thread can now be used by Sony/Microsoft fanbois to bash Nin10d'oh with oh-so-strong arguments

oh wait...

pheonix

back'n up back'n up
Agh, lame. Looks like I'll have to use a ROM to ever experience Mother.

You say it like they're horrible. lol

I think that's kinda funny, just because of the music. XD

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
They still have Super Mario RPG, which many argue to be better (though I personally disagree, but then I don't really care... I'm probably just going to buy Wiiware games rather than any VC ones).

Digitalpotato

Rants like a Gryphon
So far anyone's kinda "meh" <_< and that makes me laugh.

Considering how often the Earthbound/Mother fanbase has been slapped in the face by Nintendo, that's actually not that surprising.

AlexX

Calamity in Heaven
Considering how often the Earthbound/Mother fanbase has been slapped in the face by Nintendo, that's actually not that surprising.
Considering how much the Mother fandom likes to make themselves out to be the victim, I was quite surprised.

Foxstar

lol reggin

The Mother/Earthbound fanbase is rapidly joining the "Batshit insane" Rogue's Gallery which already has NMA fourm users and Sonic Archie fans on the wall of shame. They also forget that the head of NOJ worked a shit-ton on Mother, so if he says no, there's a good reason.

Verin Asper

The Smart Idiot
deep down...I bet nintendo doesnt give a damn knowing those who would love to play Earth Bound on the Wii....already have it on their computer as a Rom so nothing lost

Nocturnowl357

The nocturnal gaming furry
It pisses me off a bit. The only one I can find similarities is just Jackie's Bar having the national anthem. But thats only cause someone inside says they are watching a baseball game.

Its sad but thats what ROMs are for.

T

Tycho

Whatever. Fuck 'em. I <3 my ROMs and still-operational SNES deck.

Hlavco

It pisses me off a bit. The only one I can find similarities is just Jackie's Bar having the national anthem. But thats only cause someone inside says they are watching a baseball game.
Here's a page with a few of the lesser-known music similarities (Sky Runner is nothing like Won't Get Fooled Again, though). Ones not mentioned include the Hippie/Frank battle music which is very similar to Johnny B. Goode, and the short loop that plays when the Dungeon Man is following you, which is taken from the intro to the Beatles' Lonely Hearts' Club Band Reprise (skip to 1:30 in the video).