• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Productivity.

Hoodwinks

Commission Slots: OPEN
You heard me.

That horrible word.

In an ideal world I would draw every day. Or at least once a week. The reality is that my drawing pattern is sporadic. I'm like a dragon. I will go through bursts of productivity where I draw almost every day, sometimes multiple full drawings in a day. Then I will box off my commitments and owed art, return to my slumber for months, occasionally years and not touch my tablet.

What about you guys? Do you draw often, sporadically, are you also slumbering dragons?

I really want to get better at writing and art but I'm so inconsistent and distracted...
Really hate that, trying hard to be consistent but I havn't yet succeeded

BadRoy

Snake awakens
I'm doing something at the tablet every single day. Sometimes it's as minor as stabbing at a WIP sketch a little. On the weekends I usually go hard all day drawing.

I should probably have more spice in my life :V

Casey Fluffbat

E. Fuscus from the discount section
I got trouble focusing on art if I'm not doing well at it initially, which keeps me away from doing it for a while. My skill can get kinda inconsistent so it takes a while for me to get the iteration I want and keep doing it.

It's also a matter of time. Like you said weekends it's easier to get into it. During weekdays all I can think about is that 7 hours I have left in the day and how much time I want to spend on art that I don't know will turn out the way I want it.

kokamugithu

i was told the key is to have low target, so it's easy to grasp everyday.

around 2013 to 2017 i think, i was hit with depression, goes so bad that i actually have to go to psychiatrist..
back then i was like, all sorts of things happened and i want to give up, there were people who really tried hard to stop me from drawing too. but i love drawing..

so back then my rule is to have one stroke a day, and to have a rest day where i dont draw at all.
i really did it, only one stroke in my sketchbook everyday.

now i feel a lot better, but i still did it, but nowadays i didnt stop at one stroke anymore ahaha...

Grimfang

Sometimes I have an art streak, where I'm pumping out drawings. I usually am a bit slower though, trying to get a drawing or two in a week.
It can help to plan start times into my days, so maybe at at 8am or 6pm (depending on plans in the day) I'll make myself sit down to just focus on a sketch or something.

I'm on a really low-productivity streak. This thread is a good reminder to get back on it again.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I have not completed a drawing in perhaps a year or more now? I stopped enjoying it.

By contrast I write non-fiction very frequently, because that's my career at the moment.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
For what I've read, there are two main approaches to working, which can be termed "plodding" and "bursting". Both you and I are clear cases of the "burst mode". Long stretches of inactivity with periods of very intense work between them. According to both the linked article and my own experience, this is like a personality trait, hard to change it into an opposite.

This is rather annoying though, the "burst mode" is not well suited for a time-intensive passion when you also have to manage work or school at the same time. On my "high" periods I want to make art for whole days, but when I can't for obvious reasons, my productivity crashes altogether. "Plodding", doing a little every day, would have been so much better but sadly, it doesn't work for me. I just can't work on art like that, I need to be high on inspiration first. If I'm not, it turns into a chore.

Then again, "burst mode" could have been good if doing art full time. I've had my NEET stretches in life and what can I say, when I'm the master of my own time and can work when I want and feel like doing it, as opposed to only when I'm allowed to by external factors, my art productivity can soar to unexpected levels.

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
i was told the key is to have low target, so it's easy to grasp everyday.
This is as much simple as brilliant. Tried this, and less than 48 hours later...
1650286468.xaotherion_joyrun.gif

I used to draw very little, like one picture in a few years. We started a "picture-a-day" challenge in the beginning of this year, and I've seen so much improvement in my own art that I now (after just few months) draw the daily picture and most days one or two pictures on top of that. I just finished my first "big" picture, but I haven't posted it yet.

I just get motivated by the feeling of accomplishment and success. It still requires some level of inspiration to pick up the pen though...

Pomorek

Antelope-Addicted Hyena
wow! thats far better whan what i did back then :D
amazing!
Thank you! The thing here is, it's made with stuff I already have, the "low goal" was to put together something nice ASAP, avoiding any long procedures.

Also "back then", did you also have something to do with 3D or anims?

Kope

Artist?
Banned
You heard me.

That horrible word.

In an ideal world I would draw every day. Or at least once a week. The reality is that my drawing pattern is sporadic. I'm like a dragon. I will go through bursts of productivity where I draw almost every day, sometimes multiple full drawings in a day. Then I will box off my commitments and owed art, return to my slumber for months, occasionally years and not touch my tablet.

What about you guys? Do you draw often, sporadically, are you also slumbering dragons?
Same but I don’t know how to draw

kokamugithu

Thank you! The thing here is, it's made with stuff I already have, the "low goal" was to put together something nice ASAP, avoiding any long procedures.

Also "back then", did you also have something to do with 3D or anims?
Oh man...

Remembering the past still kinda hurts sometimes.im not particularly in anime,it was game industry. I did have some experience with animation,but 2d animation,when back then we can animate gif with photoshop.

I did try to dirty my hands with zbrush and 3d software like maya or blender,but nowadays i find solace in traditional projects...