• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Programs for digital art

Tabasco

Suggestions? Not GIMP!

Unless you can tell me how to bring back the layers toolbox, when both the online manual and an hour of digging through the menus and my one remaining toolbar have yielded nothing. Two hours wasted on a layered piece because I can't change layers now.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
i did that the first time I used Gimp and practically crapped a brick until I found how to get it back--

Gimp layers: start it up (obviously). Now, look on the "File" menu bar for "Windows" (right next to Help). Check the "Recently Closed Docks" for the combo "Layers, Channels, Paths, Undo". If it's not there, then the shortcut to bring up the layers menu is "ctrl+L". You can also find it under the "Dockable Dialogue" thing under "Windows". You can pickj all the things you need there. That's where you'll find any of the extra junk.

For the hell of it, though, you might want to try a trial of Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. It's a nice, streamlined program with layer capabilities, so you might like it too. I think you can get a 15 day trial for free.

Here's another link that might help you out:
http://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/2217-Various-Art-Programs-and-where-to-download-them

Once yo ulearn where crap is on Gimp, it can be pretty useful. But I know how big of a pain it is learning that program. If you get into it, there's some add-ons that makes painting a lot easier in Gimp:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167429

Good luck to ya.

Last edited:

Runefox

Kitsune of the PC Master Race
To restore the layers box, either press CTRL+L, or go to Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Layers.

You may also look into Windows->Recently Closed Docks to see if your FG/BG, Palettes, etc dock is listed there.

Aside from the Gimp, MyPaint is pretty good.

Tabasco

GIMP's too cool to have the layer toolbox option by the regular one, apparantly. Thanks guys, but I'm still looking into some other programs.

PseudoFluff

I really like Open Canvas 1.1, Its my favorite thing for line work and painting. It's got a fairly simple and limited interface, but I hardly use anything other then the pen, paint brush and eraser tools, so it works extremely well for my needs. Plus you can't beat free!
I generally only use GIMP or the like when doing photo manipulation/optimization, since it produces such a jittery stroke.

Eske

Don't believe the mask...
I love my Photoshop.
I want to get into some of the better programs out there, which can more easily mimic traditional media, like Painter and OC -- but I always just get frustrated and come back to old Photoshop. I use CS3. c: I know it costs a lot -- but so did my tablet, so it's really not that big of a deal.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
I am also looking for some good programs.
Tried GIMP, wasn't to bad for being free. Just seem like a strange setup.

Sai I tried and been liking that.(don't understand the .sai save file tho)
Anything else that's good? Nothing to expensive tho, maybe $100ish.

savageorange

GIMP's too cool to have the layer toolbox option by the regular one, apparantly.
That would be because it is not a toolbox :) :) The toolbox is still a one-of-a-kind thing, and it.. you know, contains tools, rather than a list of layers, or a color selection dialog, etc.. Those are dockables.

I generally only use GIMP or the like when doing photo manipulation/optimization, since it produces such a jittery stroke.
This is substantially changed in more recent versions of GIMP, thanks to Alexia Death. It's not perfect, but the current stroke smoothing in 2.7 produces fairly smooth results which I find generally satisfactory.

As for recommendations: I'll second RuneFox's MyPaint recommendation: if you want to just draw, and forget all the complications, it has exactly the right level of simplicity.
For pixel art, Grafx2 (or Pro Motion if you have the $). For animation, GIMP + GIMP-GAP (I know you want to avoid GIMP, but this is honestly by far and away the most powerful animation suite I've ever used.)

EDIT:
Also, MyPaint is just the most helpful ever for quick shading.[Lighten/Darken actions, which alter the current painting color and work even during a paint stroke]

Last edited:

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
don't understand the .sai save file tho

It's just a program specific filetype that saves layers as well. Good thing SAI saves to .psd too.

I believe openCanvas saves as .wpb

ShayneBear

i'm using corel painter essentials 4, it came with my tablet. it's essentially a simpler/less expensive photoshop, and i really like it!

PseudoFluff

This is substantially changed in more recent versions of GIMP, thanks to Alexia Death. It's not perfect, but the current stroke smoothing in 2.7 produces fairly smooth results which I find generally satisfactory.

As for recommendations: I'll second RuneFox's MyPaint recommendation: if you want to just draw, and forget all the complications, it has exactly the right level of simplicity.
For pixel art, Grafx2 (or Pro Motion if you have the $). For animation, GIMP + GIMP-GAP (I know you want to avoid GIMP, but this is honestly by far and away the most powerful animation suite I've ever used.)

Cool!
I thought 2.7 was still in beta though, was it just released in the past couple of days as a polished product or what?

Of course I had no idea there was an animator as well, back in the day I used to do all my animating in the Paint Shop Pro add on lol

savageorange

As you can see, it's listed on www.gimp.org [that's the source download]. A Windows build is available @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-win/files/ , seemingly.

I always use the latest development version from GIT, so I don't have to wait for releases at all, I could rebuild GIMP with the latest changes daily if I wanted. Note though that if you're not a programmer, it could be fairly hard to build GIMP yourself like this. Most people just stick with actual releases.

ZiggyTheWolf

Waking up to a dream
I use art rage 3 and find it a very capable and neat program for a low price.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
i'm using corel painter essentials 4, it came with my tablet. it's essentially a simpler/less expensive photoshop, and i really like it!

My tablet came with Autodesk Sketchbook Express 2010 R1,
Corel Painter Sketch Pad
Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0(got key code with adobe and corel)
and 2 other programs.

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
My tablet came with Autodesk Sketchbook Express 2010 R1,
Corel Painter Sketch Pad
Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0(got key code with adobe and corel)
and 2 other programs.
Once again, I gotta say, Sketchbook Pro is amazingly simple and is pretty smoothly integrated with my Bamboo Pen tablet.

Cratia

well, there's GIMP, Photoshop, Illustrator, Open Canvas, and PaintTool SAI. PaintTool SAI is awesome, in fact quite a few artists that I know also use this program, as well as myself.

Cratia

The newer version of Open Canvas also has the ability to save as PSD.

It's just a program specific filetype that saves layers as well. Good thing SAI saves to .psd too.

I believe openCanvas saves as .wpb

Jw

PINEAPPLE ACCOMPLISHED
How much extra features does pro have over express?

Whoops, I missed this earlier.

Express doesn't allow you to save stuff with the layers intact. They're flattened when you save. Also, you can create and tweak brushes with pro, as well as a symmetry setting that can let you create some neat scripted looking stuff. Otherwise, I'm not sure-- I bought Pro after trying the trial-- I got a good deal on Amazon for something around $30, so I was really happy.

Forgot to say, it works with the .tif format as default, but reads and saves in .psd if needed.

Last edited: