• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Protest at the DC Spelling Bee.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Before you bitch at those guys for dumbing down the English language.. take a good hard look at Mr Webster who did just that before. You Americans bastardised the English Language and neutered most of the harder spellings because you were too fucking lazy to learn how to spell them in the first place. amirite?

Protip:
Colour has a u in it.
Authorise does not have a z in it.

Ah yes.. this is why I go to great lengths to force Word to use the proper British English dictionary when checking words over here.

Heh. When I was on an exchange program to Scotland I forced all the computers on the network to recognize American English. :D

Ratte

Before you bitch at those guys for dumbing down the English language.. take a good hard look at Mr Webster who did just that before. You Americans bastardised the English Language and neutered most of the harder spellings because you were too fucking lazy to learn how to spell them in the first place. amirite?

Protip:
Colour has a u in it.

Ah yes.. this is why I go to great lengths to force Word to use the proper British English dictionary when checking words over here.

Waaaaaah.

Yeah, blame the Americans for changing something that was changed before their time. That totally makes sense.

Last I checked I personally had no input with the current Mirriam-Webster's Dictionary.

Darkwing

Protip:
Colour has a u in it.

That's British English, we're talking about American English here.

And those are minor, almost unnoticeable changes, it's not like we completely revamped all words in the dictionary so that they can be spelled easier. We just rearranged and took out a letter or two out of a few words.

TashkentFox

Banned
Banned
Heh. When I was on an exchange program to Scotland I forced all the computers on the network to recognize American English. :D

I don't care what you do in your own country, just keep that appalingly bad dialect out of mine.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
I don't care what you do in your own country, just keep that appalingly bad dialect out of mine.

Edinburgh was better for it, I assure you. :D

And on topic I don't know what to think about these guys. Our language rapes it's own rules so much (and even moreso in British English) and that's obviously a very bad thing. English is becoming the language of the world, and if it's unspeakable/unlearn-able for foreigners than what do we do?

On the other hand, these guys are kinda dumb. There are so many better things to protest and they picked this. Really. :|

Darkwing

How dare they, 'dem dumb lazy Amurricans, taking out and rearranging one or two letters out of a few words and calling it English even though it's still almost identical to British English :V

TashkentFox

Banned
Banned
Edinburgh was better for it, I assure you.

No it isn't, one of Britain's greatest learning institutions has been dumbed down by your pathetic antics, couldn't you have at least done it to Oxford instead?

Browder the Language Rapist said:
And on topic I don't know what to think about these guys. Our language rapes it's own rules so much (and even moreso in British English) and that's obviously a very bad thing. English is becoming the language of the world, and if it's unspeakable/unlearn-able for foreigners than what do we do?

Send your recommendations for the Chinese to drop their traditional characters and for the Arabs to stop using squiggly lines and for the Spanish to stop lisping and I MIGHT take you seriously, otherwise, GTFO.

J

Jelly

America sucks.

i think we should use whatever spelling makes uptight assholes and spelling bee parents, that hit their kids and kill their childhoods, totally pissed off

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats

Protip:
Colour has a u in it.

You do realize that changing up the spellings and stuff has more to do with the general attitude after the Revolutionary War, right? As we were no longer "British" or "Englishmen" we as a newly formed country sought to distinguish ourselves.

What we did to the English language is one way we tried to do that.

TashkentFox

Banned
Banned
You do realize that changing up the spellings and stuff has more to do with the general attitude after the Revolutionary War, right? As we were no longer "British" or "Englishmen" we as a newly formed country sought to distinguish ourselves.

What we did to the English language is one way we tried to do that.

Well if you wanted to distinguish yourselves from the rest of the Anglophone world then quit trying to enforce your dialect on the rest of us. And for the last time, it's 'aeroplane', 'airplane' sounds like a Black & Decker power tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratte

No it isn't, one of Britain's greatest learning institutions has been dumbed down by your pathetic antics, couldn't you have at least done it to Oxford instead?

>Implying the current generation is responsible for the current dictionary/spelling of words

Send your recommendations for the Chinese to drop their traditional characters and for the Arabs to stop using squiggly lines and for the Spanish to stop lisping and I MIGHT take you seriously, otherwise, GTFO.

You /are/ aware just how fucking long ago this was, right? Not to mention that when America was separating from England, they'd do shit to England just to spite them, such as driving in the right lane and racing counter-clockwise.

God damn, fucking cry some more. It's not like we're trying to get you to spell and talk like us, we're just going by what we know and were taught.

Pull the pole out of your ass already.

Trpdwarf

Lurking in Castle Moats
Well if you wanted to distinguish yourselves from the rest of the Anglophone world then quit trying to enforce your dialect on the rest of us. And for the last time, it's 'aeroplane', 'airplane' sounds like a Black & Decker power tool.

Hey dude. I don't have any power over the past. Now stop QQing unless you plan to lend me a time machine or something.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly

What can I say? I had papers I needed to write and send back home.

Send your recommendations for the Chinese to drop their traditional characters
I don't think Chinese breaks it's own linguistic rules so I don't care. Besides that's text.
and for the Arabs to stop using squiggly lines
Again text. Also it's not my language so I claim no responsibility for it.

and for the Spanish to stop lisping and I MIGHT take you seriously, otherwise, GTFO.
Castilian Spanish is not an internationally useful language. South American Spanish however is. They do not lisp in it. Funnily enough, when I was in Britain my teacher gave me shit for not lisping. :D

Darkwing

Well if you wanted to distinguish yourselves from the rest of the Anglophone world then quit trying to enforce your dialect on the rest of us.

We never enforced it, I believe it's because American English is becoming more popular than British English.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
We never enforced it, I believe it's because American English is becoming more popular than British English.

I think he was talking to me. Arguably I am guilty of enforcement. It was just so hilarious not to mention useful at the time. :D

TashkentFox

Banned
Banned
What can I say? I had papers I needed to write and send back home.

Couldn't you just ignore the spell check?

Browder said:
I don't think Chinese breaks it's own linguistic rules so I don't care. Besides that's text.

I was just trying to make a point, Chinese uses hundreds of different characters, which must make it an absolute bitch for foreigners to learn. Even more so than in English.

Browder said:
Again text. Also it's not my language so I claim no responsibility for it.

Still makes it horrible for foreigners to learn.

Browder said:
Castilian Spanish is not an internationally useful language. South American Spanish however is. They do not lisp in it. Funnily enough, when I was in Britain my teacher gave me shit for not lisping. :D

Latin American Spanish is a dialect of Spanish, just as American English is a dialect of English. And as far as I know Chileans and Mexicans don't gang up on Spaniards for lisping.

Ratte

We don't care how the fuck you talk or spell words. Keep in mind we're also two separate countries. Spanish and Mexican-Spanish are from the same root language, but because of their separation, they've developed into their own systems of language - dialects - just like British English and American English.

If you really want to get stupid over language, then I'd hate to know what the fucking cavemen think about us desecrating their spoken language, or what the Aryans and Sumerians think of our fucking weird written language and numbering system. Clearly we should go back to their ways of communication.

Browder

Wishes He could Fly
Couldn't you just ignore the spell check?
No.:D
I was just trying to make a point, Chinese uses hundreds of different characters, which must make it an absolute bitch for foreigners to learn. Even more so than in English.
This is true but to my knowledge it doesn't violate it's own grammar rules.
Still makes it horrible for foreigners to learn.
I wouldn't know. I'm not annoyed at writing or spelling difficulties I'm annoyed that languages decide to ignore their on grammar/spelling rules overtime. That's how language evolves I guess so I'm not really championing for linguistic revolution. I'm just trying to annoy you. :D
Latin American Spanish is a dialect of Spanish, just as American English is a dialect of English. And as far as I know Chileans and Mexicans don't gang up on Spaniards for lisping.
No one's ganging up on anyone. America doesn't want Britain to change the way it spells it's words. If your talking about my antics with the spellcheck that was just me being douchey, not advocating a revolution.