• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

PSA: About "coming out" as a furry

Oh. In that case, I'm a student putting off dissertation research. So "well-intentioned mess" sums up what I'm currently doing quite nicely.
hahahaha sounds interesting im currently listening to yelawolf- catfish billy and smoking some of Colorado's finest tree. I got to tell you im really enjoying myself

T

T-LARC

come join me lol i did 4 yrs at leavenworth federal prison not for military reasons but for problems with the ATF
4 years? Jesus, America's fucking insane! And I thought that cute little fox face on your icon was as innocent as a bag of jelly beans. That face must have seen some serious stuff...

A

Alex K

I remember back when I first came out as an animal.
It was a nice sensation and everyone around me seemed perfectly fine with it.
Especially the preps.

A

Alex K

Lemme tell ya.
Getting out of the mouse costume at Chunky Cheese is always one of the greatest feelings you can experience

Martin2W

Tombstone The Fierce Sergal
A common topic that seems to be brought up in here people "coming out" as a furry to their friends and family. This is a really bad idea. Here's why:

-Furry is not a sexuality.

We can debate until the end of time about whether or not furry is a hobby or lifestyle. However, it is certainly not a sexuality. As a result, there is no need to treat it as such. It only makes things weird.

-You will not be disowned for being a furry.

People seem to act like being a furry is this massive taboo that will get you disowned, like being homosexual in a homophobic family. However, this is not the case. Not only do the majority of people not even know what a furry is, nobody really cares.

-It will only make things awkward.

If you're worried your parents or friends will think you're a weirdo because you're a furry and its negative stereotypes, then coming out will only make it worse. That just makes it seem like you have something to hide, and that furry is a bigger deal than it really is.

In closing, just calm down and relax. The fandom isn't a big deal. Your parents are not going to throw a bible at you and toss you on the streets because you asked to go to Anthrocon. You'll be fine, I promise.

If you'd like to discuss this topic, or think anything should be added to the OP, post in here.

Edit: In the words of the glorious Trpderp:
Totally agree. But I want to confess to you guys, Im a furry :)

Lexiand

Werewolf

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
While it may not be something to be ashamed of, I'm damn well keeping my mouth shut until I can be sure I wrote down an infallible explanation so that my family can't in ANY way mistake furriness for anything other than what it is. In the mean time, though, have plenty of fun with it online and let the problems IRL present their own solutions to me.