• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

PSA: About "coming out" as a furry

Z

Zaddict16

I just assume everyone knows because I draw in class all the time.
They might not know what you're drawing eithier. I'm not saying that they might jump to conclusions but don't always assume that everyone knows something that they really don't. Trust me, I've been through it. (The assuming everyone knows a detail about something when they really don't. Not the furry part yet). But be strong, be confident, you are an amazing and talanted person, no one can take that away from you, unless you let them.

Z

Zaddict16

I can hug you *sergal hugs*
See, now if this is the kindness that furries will show one another, then society needs to stop stereotyping people like us with compassion and heart for our craft and lifestyle, as mindless beasts. (No discrimination intended to anyone's fursona).

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
See, now if this is the kindness that furries will show one another, then society needs to stop stereotyping people like us with compassion and heart for our craft and lifestyle, as mindless beasts. (No discrimination intended to anyone's fursona).
Bro, nobody here (who read the rules, let's not forget that bit) will think they are being "fursecuted" for a general post like that...

Z

Zaddict16

Bro, nobody here (who read the rules, let's not forget that bit) will think they are being "fursecuted" for a general post like that...
I'm just trying to be cautious, that's all. I don't want to cause any disrespect, after all I am a relitivly new furry so....

Kirkzer

Wait is this you in vid, it looks similar?
Yes? a lot of people make videos on how it is a bad idea but I am doing the opposite and telling people how it should be done and how not to do it. I am not going to go in more information here just in case people don't watch the video and talk about it here before watching it.

Martin2W

Tombstone The Fierce Sergal
Yes? a lot of people make videos on how it is a bad idea but I am doing the opposite and telling people how it should be done and how not to do it. I am not going to go in more information here just in case people don't watch the video and talk about it here before watching it.
I see what you did there published today, nice! I will watch it in 2 hours.

Z

Zaddict16

Yeah, I think all of the suits that people buy and/or create are amazing! But I think that I'm one of those furries that isn't really into admitting to be a furry to my parents. I mean, my friend already knows but besides that...

SSJ3Mewtwo

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
So I recently told my folks, and in the only way I knew how: a YT video. Here was the one to my Grandpa...
Disregard the description, that was for my Grandpa. Feel free to read the Copyright and Fair Use statements before hating on me, though.

Last edited:

Kirkzer

Yeah, I think all of the suits that people buy and/or create are amazing! But I think that I'm one of those furries that isn't really into admitting to be a furry to my parents. I mean, my friend already knows but besides that...
You do not have to admit you like something, it is just a interest. I like basketball no I do not need to tell my family that but I wanted to share the fact I'm going to do costuming at conventions to my family. The whole point is it is no big deal, you don't change is just a hobby/ interest.

ScarClaw

Scar
As true as most of this article is, I feel like it overall Is very biased when it shouldn't be. You don't need to tell people you shouldn't tell them, because sometimes people can have legitimit reasons to tell them! or they want to! In the case of just wanting to, I do believe its easier not to, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to if you want to! I have a video script written about this topic, I hope to get to in the next month or so (much going on) and Its gonna be about why you should and why you shouldn't tell your parents your a furry. In addition, it has tips on how you can tell them if you so desire. You should be given the option to, not just straight up told "No!".

Side note: This really is when I'm referring to young furs

ScarClaw

Scar
Also another thing is, people constantly compare telling your parents your a furry is like telling them you like anything, well this isn't exactly a fair point. No one can doubt, whether they like it or not, Furry hasn't had the best public rep in the past, and many people still are believing misinformation about this fandom. Telling your parents you like sonic games is easy, maybe its a good comparison. Now, well you know how dirty (especially with the endless shipping) the sonic fanbase can be? Imagine if that was your parent's first experience with sonic the hedgehog. Not so easy now to ask them for a sonic game is it? That is the unfortunate reality for furrydom

Z

Zaddict16

As true as most of this article is, I feel like it overall Is very biased when it shouldn't be. You don't need to tell people you shouldn't tell them, because sometimes people can have legitimit reasons to tell them! or they want to! In the case of just wanting to, I do believe its easier not to, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to if you want to! I have a video script written about this topic, I hope to get to in the next month or so (much going on) and Its gonna be about why you should and why you shouldn't tell your parents your a furry. In addition, it has tips on how you can tell them if you so desire. You should be given the option to, not just straight up told "No!".

Side note: This really is when I'm referring to young furs

Ill make sure to check out that video, I think it will really help me decide on wether to tell my parents or not.
Also, I have a burning question that I have no idea who can answer it on this forum.
I am a Christian, and I've been babtized in the name of the Holy Spirt and have submitted my life to God.
Now, I have no idea if anyone on this forum is religious or not, and in no way do I mean to offended anyone.
But I don't know if being a furry is a sin or not.
God made it so that man could rule beast, if "becoming" a beast/furry voids that statement by saying "you are now an animal, you are now to be ruled by the men I have put on this earth" I don't know if that's true or not. It's tough to think about. I don't want that to mess anything up, if you know what I mean.

ScarClaw

Scar
Ill make sure to check out that video, I think it will really help me decide on wether to tell my parents or not.
Also, I have a burning question that I have no idea who can answer it on this forum.
I am a Christian, and I've been babtized in the name of the Holy Spirt and have submitted my life to God.
Now, I have no idea if anyone on this forum is religious or not, and in no way do I mean to offended anyone.
God made it so that man could rule beast, if "becoming" a beast/furry voids that statement by saying "you are now an animal, you are now to be ruled by the men I have put on this earth" I don't know if that's true or not. It's tough to think about. I don't want that to mess anything up, if you know what I mean.
Looking through some of the old letters on Askpapabear.com may help, if not try writing him yourself!

ScarClaw

Scar
Also thanks that means I have motivation to get working on the video XD. Well I'm almost finished with a massive project Ive been working on and I have exams next week so probably after then

Z

Zaddict16

Also thanks that means I have motivation to get working on the video XD. Well I'm almost finished with a massive project Ive been working on and I have exams next week so probably after then

What is the video going to be on? YouTube? And do you have a fursuit? (I don't).

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zaddict16

Yes, on my channel ScarTheFur

Ok, thanks! I really appreciate it ScarClaw! I feel like the pressure is based around young furs and that they are making horrible life choices. Well that's just wrong, we choose what we want to be in life, not what society wants us to be. If we want to be a fireman, then become a fireman. The same principle applies to furries. It's a hobby, one that I just started, i mean I was a furry last year, and then I stopped being one for a while. Then the other day my friend told me about Furraffinity.net and then I found this web site. That little push instantly resparked my passion for being a furry. And these videos you are making ScarClaw, are just what young furs like me need to get through the criticism they will possibly endure.
So thank you ScarClaw, for your passion and heart for this community. :)
(Was that a bit over the top? I can never tell, Lol).
:D

Z

Zaddict16

@Zaddict16 Im 99% sure that being furry isnt a sin. We are not real animals we still human with weird hobby. How god can forbid this? And why would he do this
I agree that you think that being a furry isn't a sin, but the real answer is, why wouldn't He forbid this. We won't know what He has in store for us until, He deems it nessecery for us to know.