• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

PSA: About "coming out" as a furry

M

Manek Iridius

I've seen more than enough evidence to the contrary to know that the second point is extremely contextual, and the final point is an outright lie. That is all.

Friskyaa123

狐を殺すのに、兎を寄越すな。
hahaha more evidence it's hereditary, my dad said something about 'big ass blackbirds' outside.... fritz the cat, it was that time.... boomers lol

Edit: maybe honest john was, a message... from my aunt

Last edited:

Izar

MadeFurYou sheppy boi.
coming out as furry is only a BIG deal if you make it one. Most people are too consumed with their own lives, issues, lifestyle choices to care what you do.

Friskyaa123

狐を殺すのに、兎を寄越すな。
coming out as furry is only a BIG deal if you make it one. Most people are too consumed with their own lives, issues, lifestyle choices to care what you do.

yes.... also you /can/ relate furry stuff to LGBT issues without being like "I'm a furry lol" I told a guy about "Huehuecoyotl" in Aztec mythology, more or less a coyote dude and how it's kind of a story about the 'status quo' in many ways :p did I mention that already?

Friskyaa123

狐を殺すのに、兎を寄越すな。
yes.... also you /can/ relate furry stuff to LGBT issues without being like "I'm a furry lol" I told a guy about "Huehuecoyotl" in Aztec mythology, more or less a coyote dude and how it's kind of a story about the 'status quo' in many ways :p did I mention that already?

made a topic

Dizziead

Childish Dutchie
If you're worried your parents or friends will think you're a weirdo because you're a furry and its negative stereotypes, then coming out will only make it worse. That just makes it seem like you have something to hide, and that furry is a bigger deal than it really is.

In closing, just calm down and relax. The fandom isn't a big deal. Your parents are not going to throw a bible at you and toss you on the streets because you asked to go to Anthrocon. You'll be fine, I promise.

Edit: In the words of the glorious Trpderp:

First of all, thank you. Someone said it. I completely agree.

I've never felt like I needed to "come out" to any of my family/friends about being a furry, because never I came out to them about any of my other interests/hobbies that aren't universally understood... they accept those quirks about me anyway, because that's just "the way I am." Why make things weird? I've long since surpassed the age of living with my parents (but still have friends who are living at home), although I have plenty of family members on my personal Facebook, so I'm sure many of them have probably already seen me in-suit (and if so, they're probably not looking at it any differently than they do when I cosplay at anime cons). If not, I'm sure it will happen eventually, lol.

That said, however, I have felt like (since getting my partial, at least) I've needed to pull friends aside and make sure that they were on the same page about it, since I have yet to make (m)any RL friends who are furries. I tend to be friends with a pretty open-minded bunch in general, and so far I haven't had anyone really give me a hard time.

In conclusion... I don't think it's really something that a lot of non-furries give a lot of conscious thought to, unless they're already explicitly anti-furry in the first place.

Flumpor

One thing that helps is to tell why you are enthusiastic about Furries.

For me it is the fascination of Augmented Reality suits, the community (I usually show them 2 gryphon or something) and that most of you are fun to hang out with.

Enthusiasm can break through stereotypes

bubblefizzroo

Fizzy Roo
This is a great post!

But I feel it's worth mentioning that you don't always have to come out as furry to friends / family. If you don't want to, then don't feel obligated to do so :)

Divide

Lightskin Extraordinare
My parents already know I'm weird because I went to anime conventions like Otakon so being a furry they wouldn't even know or care to know what that even is. So I'm just chillin.

Mr.Mentlegen

If it doesn’t work, use more guns
Well Some of my classmates think FURRY is weird even is nasty.
Last time I wanted to ask them some questions before joined here,but one of them said "That is very weird,I don`t want to talk about that''
I think that`s too exaggerating. I mean there are lots of people do cosplay and nobody says that`s strange or other
then why furry can`t be accept
I just wonder

But I think I`d better just be myself . I have read some Inspirational novels and most of them say "Just be yourself"
So, fuxk off classmate.Who cares . I just like furry AND NOTHING CAN STOP ME.

Meat_Head21

One Chill Cat (working on fursona)
You can always do what I have done. Pretend to be one of the “normal people” and live your normal life among those people. Just revel in this alternate lifestyle and take as much joy out of it as you can while you meet up with the other awesome people from this fandom.

RCFC_slim

여군 ;)
I came out as a furry to my parents. Now I live alone in a bug infested 1 room studio apartment, paying way too much rent to a land lord that throws sand in my face at any given moment, a dead end job that everyone pretty much hates me at because they know I'm a furry, and was sent to a community college, because no real college would accept a furry. I hate my life.
D: omg, you okay friend?

DimskyTheOwl

Other than my friend thinking I was a closet zoophile for finding out I draw furry stuff, nothing bad has ever happened to me outside of the internet.

My own mom even bought me a "how to draw furries' book when I was 14 lmao

The Matte-Black Cat

Dark/Psychic-Timid Nature-Often lost in thought
I literally found out that I'm a furry yesterday..I've been one for a Long time without truly knowing it - thinking it meant something entirely different.

I told my Mom and she literally said " I can see that "..She knows that I love animals so much :D

She feels a bit odd about the fur suits - but I only plan on getting a mask and not a whole fursuit. My Mother and I have an extremely close relationship, so "coming out" was pretty easy. Regardless, Everytime I saw a tiger on tv, I'll see " Oh, that's me..!" - so she already had an idea..

I told my boyfriend, but I'm not gonna really let him know the extent of how much I wanna go to a fur meet / furry convention - I'll keep that to myself for a while :cool:

Amber_Sakura_Wolf

A common topic that seems to be brought up in here people "coming out" as a furry to their friends and family. This is a really bad idea. Here's why:

-Furry is not a sexuality.

We can debate until the end of time about whether or not furry is a hobby or lifestyle. However, it is certainly not a sexuality. As a result, there is no need to treat it as such. It only makes things weird.

-You will not be disowned for being a furry.

People seem to act like being a furry is this massive taboo that will get you disowned, like being homosexual in a homophobic family. However, this is not the case. Not only do the majority of people not even know what a furry is, nobody really cares.

-It will only make things awkward.

If you're worried your parents or friends will think you're a weirdo because you're a furry and its negative stereotypes, then coming out will only make it worse. That just makes it seem like you have something to hide, and that furry is a bigger deal than it really is.

In closing, just calm down and relax. The fandom isn't a big deal. Your parents are not going to throw a bible at you and toss you on the streets because you asked to go to Anthrocon. You'll be fine, I promise.

If you'd like to discuss this topic, or think anything should be added to the OP, post in here.

Edit: In the words of the glorious Trpderp:
Then why does it seem like people hate me for being a furry? It took my dad 2 years to accept it and gave me a sewing machine. My brother seems to hate the community, but doesn’t care that I’m into costuming and the sfw stuff. My best friend still absolutely hates it after she heard about Confurence and Rainfurrest (basically she sees the bad side and says I should be into it. Then again she’s not cool with me being bi or having a significant other I met online (who’s also a furry.) I was also cyber bullied by someone I thought was a friend just cuz I’m a furry.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
It's definitely not just you. People latch onto the stereotypes and bad stories they've picked up through the grapevine, and they generalize based on that.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
Then why does it seem like people hate me for being a furry? It took my dad 2 years to accept it and gave me a sewing machine. My brother seems to hate the community, but doesn’t care that I’m into costuming and the sfw stuff. My best friend still absolutely hates it after she heard about Confurence and Rainfurrest (basically she sees the bad side and says I should be into it. Then again she’s not cool with me being bi or having a significant other I met online (who’s also a furry.) I was also cyber bullied by someone I thought was a friend just cuz I’m a furry.
Honey, people are gonna find reasons to not like you. I learned that a long time ago when I was constantly bullied in school.
I don't like to talk to people, I'm a loner, I'm not 'girly' enough, I'm not skinny enough, my hair is weird, I'm too tall, I'm not nice enough--
My life became much easier when I stopped looking for validation from people who are unwilling or unable to give it to me. It sucks sometimes on the best days and down right hurts on the worst ones, I understand that-

But to answer your question: it may not even be them hating you for being a furry. It may just be another thing these people can judge you and admonish you for.
And those friends probably aren't your friends if they want to shit on you. It's not like you're doing any thing wrong, you just like furry stuff. It sounds like they have the problem, not you.

Amber_Sakura_Wolf

It's definitely not just you. People latch onto the stereotypes and bad stories they've picked up through the grapevine, and they generalize based on that.
And even though the furry fandom as a whole saved my life, most expect it to be s group of deviants and all that kinda thing. I had more acceptance of being bi from everyone outside my family than being a furry. In my family they accept being a furry, but they don’t accept me for not helping that I had crushes on two genders instead of being straight or asexual. I only feel acceptance around other furries mostly, and 3 different furries harassed me in the past. Two online and one face to face.

Amber_Sakura_Wolf

Honey, people are gonna find reasons to not like you. I learned that a long time ago when I was constantly bullied in school.
I don't like to talk to people, I'm a loner, I'm not 'girly' enough, I'm not skinny enough, my hair is weird, I'm too tall, I'm not nice enough--
My life became much easier when I stopped looking for validation from people who are unwilling or unable to give it to me. It sucks sometimes on the best days and down right hurts on the worst ones, I understand that-

But to answer your question: it may not even be them hating you for being a furry. It may just be another thing these people can judge you and admonish you for.
And those friends probably aren't your friends if they want to shit on you. It's not like you're doing any thing wrong, you just like furry stuff. It sounds like they have the problem, not you.
I’m still judged for not having 2 parents, having multiple disorders/illnesses, battles with addictions (the stuff was legal,) and especially for trying to be a voice of reason. And then left when I was nearly dead and relied on anyone for help. At least 2 of my closest friends are furries irl as well as my significant other.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Wow, Amber, I'm sorry to hear that.

Sounds like you're surrounded by a lot of people who automatically react to things they don't understand with fear, denial, and hostility. That must be really tough on you.

PercyD

Lover of Beasty Baes
I’m still judged for not having 2 parents, having multiple disorders/illnesses, battles with addictions (the stuff was legal,) and especially for trying to be a voice of reason. And then left when I was nearly dead and relied on anyone for help. At least 2 of my closest friends are furries irl as well as my significant other.
This doesn't sound like it was because you were a furry, though, going back to what you originally said.
Like Troj mentioned, it's more likely the people who you started with (your family) might not be that welcoming. I still hope it gets better for you, though.