• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

PSA: About "coming out" as a furry

Jade Stone

I have advice. Don't. There's no reason to actually come out as a furry, because the furry fandom is just a hobby and not a facet of your identity. You don't have to make a special announcement to your friends and family about something that interests you, just live your best life.

being a furry isn't like being gay, its not something that is apart of you specifically as an individual. To "Come out" as a furry would be like coming out and saying you like to knit wool sweaters in your off time.

Hey, so I haven't actually come out as a furry yet, and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice or tips from personal experience??
There is no such thing as comming out as a furry. It's a hobby and as long as you don't make a big deal out of it, people will just accept it. Some will of course be a bit curious and some will ask if you have an animal fetish. Just play it cool and don't let people intimidate you. You should be free to talk about your hobby, being a furry is not some sort of wicked thing you should hide or be ashamed of, it's a hobby you enjoy and a community you enjoy.

Jade Stone

There is no such thing as comming out as a furry. It's a hobby and as long as you don't make a big deal out of it, people will just accept it. Some will of course be a bit curious and some will ask if you have an animal fetish. Just play it cool and don't let people intimidate you. You should be free to talk about your hobby, being a furry is not some sort of wicked thing you should hide or be ashamed of, it's a hobby you enjoy and a community you enjoy.
That makes sense...thank you so much!! :)

there is one thing that i disagree with in this discussion, some parents ( including mine, or pretty much any parent in the south ) will in fact take action when it comes to this fandom. I was told if I was ever see interacting with anyone here that I would definitely be disowned, and i know that sounds like a common parent ploy, but one of my cousins was literately sent a way to a boarding school via a decision by my parents. Im also not prohibited to speak to him and his parents wont either. this may sound rough but its true, so if your parents are the same, defiantly keep it to your self, use a pickle device(a device that has no link back to you) such an old phone or chrome book that nobody will notice missing. that being said still enjoy being your self, just do it in a way that wont have consequences.

My friends straight up believe the furry fandom is a fetish. I dont know how I would ever tell them my "secret". I really hope to find someone IRL that i'm comfortable sharing my interest with.

viverrinae

princess viv
I don't think anyone else gets to make the decision of whether or not someone should not, "Come out" as a furry. I 'came out' to my husband because it WAS a secret that I was a furry and it IS apart of who I am and thus my identity. I think for each person its different. I want to be able to share that part of my life with people close to me so thats why I told them I was a furry. But I had to explain what a furry really is and not some fetish thing. I have to explain that, yes I am a furry, because otherwise how do I explain my wanting of a fursuit? Like he's gonna ask why I want one.