• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Question about feedback...

Green_Brick

Krita user
I am new to the forums, and I am not 100% sure if this thread belongs in the current location it is in. Please correct me if I was wrong to create it here! ^^;

Hi all, I have a really burning question about giving feedback to artists, especially those whom you commissioned to draw for you!

Currently, I have a thread that has gathered the attention of many artists, about 17 of them in total. While it's amazing, and I plan on commissioning every one of them, I... fear that I may not be able to deliver them feedback that... is "deserving", in respect to the image that they have drawn for me, or... I may be "too verbose" with my feedback, to the point that it tires them out. This is why I turn to you guys, the community, for input on this.

Before I became active on here, I've tried to address the following in my feedback that I left the artist(s) who drew for me:

- What did you like?
- Why did you like it?
- Show that you have understood the image as a whole.

That last one may be "vaguer" than it should be, but... there are some people out there who do not give feedback other than "I like it", which is quite vague. I know that giving 0 feedback is quite undesirable... Though... There have been a few instances where I almost felt like "less is more". I have had a couple artists who have confided in me that when I leave feedback, they are overwhelmed by it. Though, they have told me that it's not me, it's that they have a hard time paying attention and seeing a large chunk of text drives up their anxiety a bit. I... do not want to do that, but I do believe that they deserve something better than "I like this image, thank you", or something short of that nature.

Usually when I leave my feedback (usually I condense those points into 1 paragraph or so), I try to leave the artist my in-depth thoughts about the image. That way it can show them that I have seen the entire image, I looked at all the little bits of details (symbolism, any visual messages being conveyed, or any tiny attention to details that helps with the image conveying the message of what the commissioner wanted), and I have actually taken time to tell them what I think about this image that they took out of their day to do for me.

I'm... really stuck between a "rock and a hard place" here with "how" to give feedback... Can I get insight on what the artist community on here like from clients who pay them to draw for them? (In terms of feedback?)

Seabear24

I like a lot of detailed feedback on my art *shrug* I guess it really just depends on the person. I've taken many an art course and generally they'll start with what they liked, what they noticed most about the piece, what they thought it could use, then back to another thing that they enjoyed about it overall. But as i said, sometimes (especially if we're talking about like... Sensitive people I guess) too much text will look like your nitpicking. I would suggest getting with a person before sending off a crit just to make sure its okay.
I would say that the only thing that bothered me getting a crit is like... 'His face looks like shrek' or just grading the art? Ive had one occasion where some rando came on to an art piece said 'cool 8/10' then left.
Like...wat. Why 8? EXPLAIN.

Hoodwinks

Commission Slots: OPEN
Hello there! Fellow artist here :cool:

I think this really depends on the individual artist in question. I know some people prefer to have a long response that lets them know they've done a good job and shows a real appreciation for the detail in the art. I also know people who, like you said, find this overwhelming.

Personally, I think it's about the sentiment. As an artist my priority is one thing: making sure you are happy with the final product. My personal stance? I don't really care how much you write me! I mean that in the nicest of ways! Are you happy with your purchase? Wonderful! You're under no obligation to write a long-winded thank-you.

That being said, there is something nice about knowing what in particular in the art resonated most with the buyer. Perhaps the expression really captures how they see their character, or the artist remembered a little detail, or maybe you love the colour scheme they chose. In general, I'd say just mention what your favourite parts of the art are. There's no need to stretch it out into something long-winded :)

Green_Brick

Krita user
Thank you for the feedback you two~

I always want to make sure the artist knows that I really appreciate the hard work that they put into their commission that they have done for me, but I do not want to stress anyone out or sound "too wordy"... ^^;

Hoodwinks

Commission Slots: OPEN
Thank you for the feedback you two~

I always want to make sure the artist knows that I really appreciate the hard work that they put into their commission that they have done for me, but I do not want to stress anyone out or sound "too wordy"... ^^;
No problem! If in doubt, just be yourself. It's the sentiment that matters :)